Gundam MG/PG Questions

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by masishadow, Jul 16, 2011.

1. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Taking a break from TF's until Prime's toyline kicks in later this year, and wanting to get back into Gundams. Did some figure building/painting as a kid and loved it (the 1/144's.)

Initially, thought about Robot Damashii, but after seeing some MG and PG pictures/reviews, can't wait to get my hands on some.

Do the MG and PG ones come molded in the correct color plastic so paint is not necessary? (Don't have the time right now to dedicate to practice/application) And do the figures look great without any paint or do they look unfinished? Also, are the big difference between MG and PG mainly scale and price or does it go further than that?

Thanks!

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    The place to ask this would be the main Gundam thread. As for the differences, there's a reason the prices skyrocket between MG and PG. There's exponentially more parts in a Perfect Grade than there are in a Master Grade, anmely because you're upsizing from a 1/100 to a 1/60. Also, your choices of models in PG are more or less limited to the most famous suits such as the RX-78-2 and the Strike Freedom, while Master Grade sorta has a better choice selection of suits.

But if you want really good quality and don't have the time for paint apps, I recomend the more recent 1/144 HG kits from the latter point of the Gundam 00 HG line. Especially a version of 0 Gundam. It's a cheap, simple kit with only one beam saber and a gun in addition to a shield, but it poses like a boss. Or if you REALLY want super-good looks without any paint work needed, the Real Grade line might interest you. Real Grade just got started and so far only has three/four kits (RX-78-2, Char's Custom Zaku II, Aile Strike Gundam, and the regular green version Zaku II due sometime soon if not already released), but the're a crapton of multi-colored parts that really try to make the suits look like real-life war machines and I love my RG Char's Zaku. You can get more information in the Gundam thread proper, since those guys have a TON more experience and knowledge about this stuff than I do.

3. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
  4. Underhead

Underhead Zamboni-bot

While I do not have any MGs or PGs myself(only recently got some HGs), I can assure you that in the past decade or so, Gundam Kits have greatly improved. They come molded in appropriate colors, and the more expensive kits(such as MGs and PGs) have fully functional inner frames. FRom what I know of MGs and PGs, the main difference between the two(besides size and price) is that PGs have every detail done, and take a REALLY long time to build even without paint and such. They also have more gimmicks and moving parts then MGs, and the older ones have extensive wiring.

5. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah, sorry. I'm completely ignorant of the non-tf areas of the site.

6. SideswipePrime

SideswipePrime Reply Dump Extraordinaire

it does go a bit further, like PGs have light up features, mostly eyes, and older PGs require doing the wiring yourself, unless im wrong, MGs dont usually require paints, but HGs do, the one PG vs MG differences i know is 00 raiser: well, of course more detail, um both have light up eyes, but the GN drives on the PG actually spin, and the green circles on the PG require to be pressed down to move those joints, and the MG does not have that feature, and the inner frame on the PG is black, and on the MG its grey, but like burnout, i dont have as much experience as others, and MGs and PGs have inner frames, and HGs dont, they're hollow, well the onlly high grade i own is saviour from seed destiny

7. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

If you were looking at Robot Damashii's then maybe get 1/144 scale simply due to 1/144 being about the same size as the RD's. Otherwise i'd say get a MG, as the color separation is much better,