Minor/Repaint: Gundam marker error w/RiD Stormshot - Is this reparable?

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Isaac Hill, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Isaac Hill

Isaac Hill Systems Analyst

I tried using black Gundam marker on the insides of RiD Stormshots shoulders/intakes so they'd look less out of place in jet mode. The good news is, the jet mode does look better. The bad news is the Gundam ink is visible in the shoulders. Is there any way to remove the ink from the insides? I thought of just doing the shoulder exteriors in white Gundam marker, but wanted to see if there's another option. Thanks for any advice.
    stormshot1.JPG stormshot3.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wardog01

Wardog01 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I may be able to help here, since Gundam stuff is a little more my area (when it comes to customs). Gundam markers and pens aren't exactly ink, they're paint, in a very concentrated acetone (or some other such chemical thinner) base. They're VERY thin and dry very quick, but take a long time to cure, and sometimes not at all, since they're meant to nave a top coat applied to seal the final product. Without doing that, there's always a good chance of the paint smudging. Also, due to their base, they require specific thinners to remove them. Using other basic thinners, like mineral spirits, will sometimes make things worse. They also have a tendency for the color to almost 'bond' causing staining after a short time. Keeping all this in mind, use the Gundam thinner to remove the smudges as best you can, paint over any staining (only if you have to), then seal where you had painted.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Matrix1981

Matrix1981 It's Hot Rod's fault...

I think he is talking about bleed through the plastic not smudging from fingers. If the plastic is thin and the interior colour is bleeding through your best bet is to paint the outside of the shoulders white. Alternatively you could have primed with white then painted black on the inside to begin with.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Isaac Hill

Isaac Hill Systems Analyst

Matrix1981 is correct. The black you see on the shoulder exteriors in bot mode is Gundam ink applied to the interior bleeding through. There's no smudging on the exterior.

Wardog, what do you mean by Gundam thinner? I just got my first set of markers this past Christmas, so I'm pretty new to this. Would I have to order a specific Gundam-branded thinner, or is there some active ingredient I can look for in a local hardware store or hobby shop?

When I slipped up a bit on CW Wheeljack's chest windshield, I let it sit for a while, then went over the smudge with fresh Gundam paint. When I wiped off the fresh paint, the smudge came with it. I may try something similar here; redo the interior with a fresh coat, try to remove the bleed through with that, then start fresh with a coat of white on the inside, with black on top of that.

Thanks for the tips.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wardog01

Wardog01 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    OH! I thought it got smudged over the other plastic during transformation. In that case, I agree with your statement.

They sell Gundam thinner pens, just like the paint pens. Not sure what they use, cause it's all in Japanese, and my Japanese is NOT good. But it's the same stuff that the paint in the pens is cut with, which is why fresh paint will often work too. The straight thinner itself is super strong and works REALLY well for cleaning up Gundam paints. WAY better than any mineral spirits based thinner I've used. Haven't seen them anywhere other than Amazon, but they're definitely handy to have around.