Gundam HCM 1/200 figures

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Apeface, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Apeface

Apeface cares not for gophers

Jan 20, 2004
    Anyone have any of these things? I've been thinking about buying some of them since I have a fondness for Zakus but was wondering if they're worth picking up.
  2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Mar 26, 2004
    Wondering the same thing. Anyone know how the plastic is on these?

They seem pretty affordable
  3. slideshot

slideshot Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Yeah - I've got a ton of them. They're pretty nice, though the plastic is somewhat cheap feeling at times. They do have really nice detailing, and are generally have better details and are better articulated than the 1/144 models that come out. The later models are definately better than the eariler ones. Each one comes with a set of hands (like THS prime) and several weapons.

A few major complaints I have is that the weapons are on trees and PAINTED (why someone though this was a good idea is beyond me). This means that when you cut them out, they have ugly white spots you have to file over and paint. Some of them have their hands affixed to the weapons, and you basically swap out the hands out. They also use polycaps rather than actual joints, so a leg or arm will fall out sometimes while moving them. They were quite clearly made for display rather than actual play.

A good starter one i've found is the MkII Gundam. He's pretty posable, very nicely detailed, comes with a gun, shield, bazooka, and 2 energy sabers, and is overall one of the better looking old school gundams in general. The zakus are nice as well, and come with the usual arments of guns, heat axe, and bazooka.

They're definately preferrable to the models, as they take up a lot less space and time (i started buying them when I didn't have the time to build a model properly). They're about the size of the THS prime.

I'll post some pictures of them later today. Also, shameless plug, but I'll probably be selling a lot of mine off in the next few weeks, if either of you two are interested.
  4. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2002
    News Credits:
    I passed them up because I was collecting the Mobile Suit in Action Series. By the time these came out, I had every Gundam mecha that appeared in the UC0079 series.

And yeah, Bandai's idea to have the weapons on the plastic trees is kind of lame...
  5. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

Aug 6, 2003
    News Credits:
    I have nearly all of these released to date (just got Sazabi today) and I am it's safe to say completely addicted to this line. Each new figure trumps the last and Sazabi is the best yet.
    For me they strike an almost perfect balance that Bandai has been trying to get right for years, they are super detailed, really poseable, loaded with acessories, durable, affordable and small enough that you can have a load of them on one shelf (grouped by series, natch).

The parts are on trees to keep the cost of the figure down, they cost more then then their MSIA counterparts but are (imo) far superior.

Bandai is currently working it's way through the Char's Counterattack roster, Jagd Doga, Sazabi and Re Gz are done and Nu Gundam will soon follow.

In a recent interview they are mentioned that they are planning to expand the line soon doing some subjects that are not Gundam and also adding larger mechas, an Elmeth was mentioned as being in the planning stages.

One thing to watch out for is that the early releases, Gundam, Zaku, Rick Dom, Guncannon have some loose parts as they are first gen products. My Rick Dom routinely loses it's arms when I handle it but these problems have been ironed out and the more recent releases are rock solid.

So to sum up, highly recomended for any Gundam fan.