Gundam fans help please!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Sweep, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Sweep

Sweep worse then vehicon drones

I would like to buy the gundam series on DVD but as you know their are several different series to choose from, can anyone please help me choose which series is good and which ones to stay away from. Here are a few I have been browsing on Amazon.

I already bought First Gundam vols 1 thru 10

Haven't bought

Wing collections 1 & 2
    Endless Waltz movie
    Seed collections 1 & 2
    F91
    Zeta collection 1
    Seed Destiny series
    08th ?
    G Gundam collections 1 & 2

I think thats all on DVD, I might have missed something.

Help please! Sincerely Gundam :noob 

2. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    heh, I was BORN for this thread....

if you know NOTHING of Gundam, get the seed collections. SEED is a great fresh series that needs no back story. You might also like Wing (and Endless Waltz).
    0080, 08th MS Team, 0083, Zeta and F-91 all fall into the same timeline... so, you should probably pick up the Gundam movie trilogy as A) it's the original Gundam series told in 3 movies B) the trilogy rearranges some events of the first series, but the movie continuity is the accepted history that the sequel series are based off of.

NOW, with that said, watch the movies to get a feel for the history but I'll break down the series you listed. *note - the trilogy is subtitled only and the series is dub only.
    08th MS Team - a side story that takes place during the first series/movies. Great characters, a lot of action, good story. highly recommend it.

0080 - self contained story that takes place near the end of the movies/original series. light on the mecha, heavy of the story and character development. depends what you're looking for in a Gundam show.

0083 - HIGHLY recommended. takes place 3 years after the end of the trilogy/first series. also, somewhat self contained, but helps to know what happened. great story and characters and heavy on the mecha ;)  you can't go wrong with this.

Zeta - the DIRECT sequel of the movies/first series. you kinda need to know the basics to fully understand what's going on and who some of the characters are. pretty good story and the animation is pretty good for the early 80's. probably my favorite series to date.

Char's Counter Attack (not listed, but still important ;)  - a movie that pretty much ends this timeline's animated history. good story, but pass on it if you didn't watch the original series/trilogy.

F-91 - not too good, I'll be honest. pass on it.

I'll break down the others for fun... and I have nothing else to do.

G Gundam - nothing but mecha fights and a so-so story. think of it like Dragonball meets Gundam. it's mindless fun in my opinion, but if you're looking fors omething with a bit more depth, pass.

Gundam SEED - Second all time favorite series. Great story and characters, sharp animation, and was a breath of fresh air to the franchise. Highly recommended

Gundam SEED Destiny - rushed sequel to SEED. while not bad... it's not too great either. It felt like they had no real direction and just made stuff up as they went along. Only get it if you watch SEED and want to know what happens after.

Wing/Endless Waltz - it's been years since I've seen this series. It's action the one that got me hooked on Gundam when it aired way back when on Cartoon Network. I'd say get it if you have some spare cash...

Hope this helps

3. Sweep

Thanks for the info! I know way more than I did. I didn't see a movie trilogy for sale at Amazon, I guess I'll have to look around. Thanks again!

4. Zeta Otaku

Ebay:
  5. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Ok....damn you zeta you are way better at this than I can be.

I would recomend highly UC-0079 to char counter attack- because its clasic Its a great story....however the first gundam series animation is starting to wear on me
    f91-great concept yes, excecution wrong, novel WAAAAAY BETTER
    Seed...yes you can like UC and seed,is entretaining and enjoyable and set me up for UC.
    Wing Im biased so not sure but definitively entretaingits the first complete series I owned.
    G...Im on teh fence here
    any news on wether the zeta moves are comming here?

6. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

This is a great rundown, and I'll second a recommendation for Zeta since it's the sequal to MSG, which you already own. Also, the Gundam movie trilogy is worth looking into.

Finally, just had to come to the defense of F91. I actually really liked it, and thought it turned out rather well considering it was cut down from what was supposed to be a series. The Crossbone Vanguard just has some really cool mecha designs, very different from anything else in the early UC, and the movie has some good action at least. Plus, it should be really cheap to get ahold of.

7. Wing alpha

Pirate gundam.....Nuff said.

8. Sweep

What does UC stand for?

9. Zeta Otaku

Ebay:
    Universal Century... it's the calender they use... like we use AD.

10. Zeta Otaku

Ebay:
    heh, I've had a lot of practice giving quick rundowns and recommendations for Gundam shows and the like (ask me about Master Grade models... I friggin dare you!), so... there ya go ;) 

As for the Zeta Movies... no one is really sure. Bandai has said they plan to release every series in the US, but with the shadow release of Zeta Gundam on DVD and with near ZERO marketing for Gundam since the beginning of Gundam SEED, it's really not looking good for the Zeta movies or even the other older series like ZZ (which I DO enjoy after the first dozen episodes), Gundam X (super underrated show... Double X is the original Freedom Gundam!) and even Turn A... which I can take or leave.

What's worse is that from what I've seen, there isn't even mention of them bringing over Gundam 00 anytime soon.

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    08th MS Team
    War in the Pocket

I only watched G gundam because a friend threw a blank tape at me and asked me to tape 2 eps from CN while he was on assignment.
    but i liked the figures, though.

My age shows through when I talk of EW or GW; it is alllll tooooo angsty and irks me. once again, like the figs more.

12. TF rocks

TF rocks Try and stop me!

I would recommend G Gundam and Gundam wing. Those series were amazing.

G Gundam has some downsides but near the end is when things get really good.

13. Wing alpha

Okay I take you up to your challenge recomend me a master grade gundam.

Im aware double x is the original freedom gundam.....however double X had a delicius golden beam of doom that could blow up australiia.

That does suck a lot, yet I cant blame them seed and destiny brougth them sales, and they thought they discovered a new money making formula. I want them to bring 00 just because its a great show that deserves the world wide showing, but all other gundams are important-turn a may be the single most stupid design I EVER seen, but it was original and admitedly after I put a new redesigned head it looks great, and it was a good series.

then again maybe they think they have a winning formula with geass. then again I think they have to shop arround for a better network I mean they put geass at 1 am....

14. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    1. Mobile Suit Gundam Wing/Endless Waltz
    2. Mobile Suit Gundam: The 8TH MS TEAM

They're the only GUNDAM series I've managed to watch all the way through. It too me years to understand what they were talking about (I was only 12 when I started watching GW, and 13 when MS TEAM premiered), but they've got excellent storylines (if you aren't bored by Political Jargon and Philosophies of War and their Consequences), characters with some major depth and personality, and their theme songs and their scores (BGM) are awesome.

Everything else from the GUNDAM UNIVERSE just bores the hell out of me because they're lacking everything those two had. Not mention, G-Gundam was POWER RANGERS and SAILOR MOON in disguise. I really can't get into the first series, and GUNDAM SEED plains sucks.

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, no. Bandai America was said to be in talks for the North American license a number of months ago, at one of the big Anime cons I think. Nothing had been finalized at that point, though. But they're working on it.

16. Dream

Dream SEND THE BOOKS!

Since people are being nice and answering Gundam questions...
    Is the full run of the original series on DVD? I know they were releasing them before, but wasn't sure if they actually released them all.

17. Zeta Otaku

Ebay:
    Anything put out in the past two years is amazing. Depending on what you're looking for...

1) Basic - Ground Type Gundam, Freedom, Strike... any of them. There's like 10 out by now. Pick one you like.

2) Moderate - Gundam MK II ver 2.0, Zeta 2.0, Hi Nu, Strike Freedom Gundam. Nothing too insane, just more parts, better articulation, look great

3) advanced - Ex-S Gundam, Unicorn. Ex-S will take you a while to build and the Unicorn is just INSANE.

Ah, ok thanks ^_^ Nice to be wrong about that

Yes, the full series is out though I BELIEVE it's dub only while the movie trilogy is sub only.

18. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The unicorn gundam isn't that bad to build. It's definitely complicated(and pretty fun because of it), but the downright insanity is the damn labels. The Zeta 2.0 isn't much of a challenge, it's mostly irritating. Both the unicorn and the zeta are very different in construction than say, the ground type(I've built that too), or freedom(aside from the wings, which still aren't that complex).The MK II was alrght, definitely a little more complex than the ones you have listed as being basic, but still not that far off.

This reminds me that I still need to build that damn X-1 full cloth...

19. Wing alpha

Im thinking of a unicorn....

I wanna paint it like an astray!

20. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

08th MS Team, A Stardust Memory, Wing and Zeta are my favourite series....so far. Check those out though.

Really though, no Gundam disappoints....except maybe the Live action movie....