Gundam Extreeeme VS! Better than SF and Tekken

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by magmatron, Jan 11, 2012.

1. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    So, who here has this game?

For those who don't know, Gundam Extreme VS is a fast paced mecha combat game for the PS3 and the latest sequel for the Gundam VS series that appeared on the PS2 and the PSP, and developed by the same team that made Gotcha Force for the GC. The game runs at 60FPS and plays similarly to Virtual On but with more moves and maneuvers and allows for 4-player mayhem. It's easy to get into and play but has great depth for the fighting game enthusiast and is now the most played fighting game in japanese arcades, beating both Tekken and Street fighter.

The game draws from over 30 years of Gundam anime, manga and movies and offers 60 playable mobile suits with varied playing styles fitting whatever style from extreme zoning to extreme close range. You'll the standard Gundam units but the game has heavy and slender mobile suits of all sizes, even transforming units and a robot dog. The game even boosts giant boss mobile armor to face in the arcade and trial mode.Speaking of trial mode it's a mode where you take on specific challenges that mirror events from Gundam series and are pretty darn fun. Some of them even have you play out the events differently.

When it comes to multiplayer the game allows for two player split screen where the players can take on the arcade mode together and take on the Extreme Gundam in the end or fight each other in VS mode. The game also features a smooth online mode where you can participate in Ranked mode to rise among the ranks or just play free player matches in 8 player lobbies. Nice thing about the player matches is that instead of just leaving the people not playing the matches wait doing nothing it lets them enter a training mode.
    Another nice thing about this game is that it saves all matches you play to the system so you can rewatch them anytime!

TLDR; it's an awesome mech fighting game that should even interest people who aren't into gundam and mech games. Here are some videos.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. ShiroPrime

ShiroPrime blargh

Ok I've only thoroughly watched 2 gundam series, but I NEED THIS STATESIDE ASAP!!!

3. magmatron

News Credits:
    Here is a problem, as Bandai says they won't bring it over(which is strange, considering they have no problem bringing Dynasty Warriors over). You'll have to buy an imported version which usually runs between $76-$90. A pretty penny I know but the game is totally worth it.

4. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    So it's basically Virtual On Gundam. Took long enough.

I will have to disagree with your title, though. Gundam will never be better than Street Fighter. :p 

5. magmatron

News Credits:
    Just a little joke I threw due to the game's current popularity;) . Street Fighter is still king.

6. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    *waaaaant*

are PS3's region locked? i dont remember. [can i play this on my US PS3 is what i mean]

7. magmatron

News Credits:
    The PS3 isn't region locked, so you can just insert the game and play! After the install, that is.

8. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Awwwww man. I thought it was going to be a traditional fighting game. Maybe even like a more epic Tech romancer. :( 

Looks fun though. It's been a while since I've played a mech fighter.

9. magmatron

News Credits:
    It might not look or play like your usual fighting game but trust me, it is one. The mechanics of the game are solid and you're open to a whole lot of options. Plus the game is fully endorsed by the japanese fighting community and appears regularly on Arcadia monthly.

Anyways, here's a little video of me playing, though not very well. I'm the red Gundam, Versigo.

(PS3) Gundam Extreme VS - neoGAF Player Match (Double X, Virsago, God, RX-78-2) EPIC SAVE! - YouTube

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I would commit atrocities for a new Tech Romancer.

11. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I understand that it is a fighting game, in the literal sense. I've played Mech fighters, and have actually enjoyed them. But there a stark difference in the mechanics of those and traditional fighters, and that's why I was disappointed in the titling of the thread, because the comparison to a traditional fighter lead me to believe it'd be one too is all.

Indeed sir. Indeed. I'm just glad someone else knew what it was. I still play it like it's new.

12. magmatron

News Credits:
    Oh, I get it now. Sorry for going all defensive. The fighting game comment just reminded my of my time as a smash player years ago and how I had to deal with "lul, that's not a fighting game!"

Edit: Oh, and I remember Tech Romancer, though i never got to play it.

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    You missed out. It ruled and ruled hard. Preferred the arcade version to the DC version though.

14. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I thought I was on NeoGaf for a second then, same thread title and all :/

15. magmatron

News Credits:
    Well, I did borrow their title:eek: ...but that's because it's such an attention grabber!

16. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

For anyone who hasn't gotten the dlc, Hi Nu will be available for free on the 26th of this month, and Zeong & Freedom will be available for 500yen each.

17. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

it's not region locked!? MUST BUY THIS GAME!

18. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Np at all boss. Glad you at least chilled enough to see where I was coming from. haha.

Believe it or not, I'm a big DBZ Tenkaichi fan, and am kinda used to the whole, "But it's not a fighting game BCUZ!!!" shit, so I hear you man.

Never got to play the arcade version, but I love love LOVE my copy on DC.

19. magmatron

News Credits:
    Trust me if I could I would have bought it, but I was a poor kid who had to choose between the DC and the GC. And considering the DC died in 2001 the choice was obvious. In hindsight the correct choice would have been neither and I should have got a PS2, but I was too much of a Nintendo fanboy.

Cool:thumb !

That's the attitude I wanted to see!

And for those worried about the language Barrier, don't be. The game has a lot of english for every important thing and the only time the japanese language prevents you from understanding is what the characters are saying.

20. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I love the multi-person battles. I think I'm going to go ahead and order this one.