guitar hero soloing

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Mike, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I can smoke this game on medium, but when I try the hard and expert mode (doesn't effect me if there are 3, 4 or 5 buttons) but for the life of me, I can't do the solo parts, or like, fast crazy parts, even in super slow motion in practise mode, trying to do jordan, its like impossible

are there any kind of tricks people do to make it a little easier? like watching for base notes or do they just play it SO much they have them memorized?

How do you pro's manage?

I've only played guitar hero 1 and 2, but I heard the third one is even harder, how do they expect people to beat these on expert?

2. Numlock

Numlock Starving Artist

Edited up my whole post since I got a second play at GH3 today...

I'm not claiming to be a "pro"... but I'm "good enough"... Hard isn't challenging, and Expert I beat and average 4 stars per song... but just can't smoke the songs like those guys on YouTube do.

Anyway previously I wrote that "something feels wrong" in the solos and figured it has something to do with the hammer on/pull offs... and attributed it to that perhaps it's 'cause I play the PS2 version or maybe am just not accustomed to the mix.

Well, having played it for the second time now I can say it's this... You can no longer easily Hammer On/Pull Off any note you want to. I'm sure if I did the tutorials or had the instructions I would've know this already... but only the notes with the larger white top can be Hammer/Pulled now. Trying it wherever you please, like I'd like to do to save my wrist from breaking off and work it less... no longer works in GH3.

Total Bummer. Now you have to strum more...

Really threw me off at first... but now that I got it I crushed the piss out of GH3. "One" on Expert was nothing, 88% or something like that on the first try. "Reign in Blood" is awesome... feels just like when you play the song in "reality". And "Though the Fire and the Flames"... OMG!!! I LOVE THAT SONG! I beat it on hard BARELY... like 77%... I'm totally a fan of Extreme Power Metal now! Expert... 2%, haha! Not ready, not ready... but I'll get one more crack at the game before the rental ends I'm sure. It's the new "ThunderHorse" to me, I'll play it 'til I know it backwards.

Which is yeh... impossible with that song, it's like six minutes plus and on crack, haha.

Anyway, that's my contribution. Learn the Hammer/Pulls and use them where the game wants you to use them and things will gain a new perspective.

Good luck, and Dragonforce FTW oh yeh!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  3. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Ask Guitar Hero King and TFW's resident wife beater onesock. He'll give you some tips....and a beating...

ANYWAY! I'm in the same boat. Except, right now i'm working my way on Hard mode. Want practice? If you can play any hardcore/ metal songs on medium - hard, it should help with most of the other songs. I found that playing All That Remain's "Six", Every Time I Die's "The New Black" and Ounce of Self's "Drink Up" on GHII really helped me play the other songs on harder modes.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

I think, honestly, the trick is finding the difficulty you -enjoy- the game on and just play it like that.

For me that's hard, and I've done the career and most of the bonus tracks, including Freya and Jordan, and had an ok time.

Much like a real instrument, some shit just takes time and practice to do. Also learn Hammer Ons and Pull Offs. Most solos are just excersizes in these techniques.

5. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also, try to make the strumming subconscious, and don't so much match the fingers exactly as just try to move your fingers in the patterns incoming onscreen.

I know that sounds completely vague and unhelpful but quite honestly it's the mindset I use to get through things like the opening of The Light That Blinds.

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

I -finally- cleared The Light That Blinds last night. All I could say was "WTF?"

7. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    TT speaks the truth like a guiding light!! :p  Seriously, what's the point of playing the game on expert if you miss a quarter of the notes? Yeah, you complete the song but you don't get to enjoy the music, and for me, that's what it's all about.

Definitely need to nail all the hammer-on and pull-offs to be successful at this game.

8. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

You want to get better at the game in general, play Through The Fire and The Flames on medium/hard you will eventually just GET better.. thats what happened to me, I beat TTFATF on medium with 88% which for me was a AMAZING accomplishment... after that jumping to 'normal' songs lol became a lot easier. I still find transitions difficult like from green/orange red/orange its slipping back to the home position that keeps me from being a lot better than I am.

9. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Hell, I'm still trying to get the hang of it on medium. My pinky and the blue key just don't wanna make sweet musical love to each other like you woulda figured. . .
    As for hammer on/pull off, according to the tutorial it seems the same as before. But I never really use it. . .yet >.>
    DN

10. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I've yet to use my pinky, maybe that's my problem, I usually keep my hand with my middle finger on yellow, then just shift up or down to hit the green with my index finger, and the orange with my ring finger. I do a lot of sliding across the buttons like I would playing the real guitar, it's what im so use to doing.

I know it was really weird at first, always having to have a fret button pressed down, even though the guy playing the guitar in the game is playing an open string, for example.. like in the song jordan, the verse in the game is totally harder to play then it is in real life :lol 

I guess like you guys said I just need lots of practise doing the hammer ons and pull offs, I should practise while watching TV or a movie or something, practicing the fingering.

11. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Do you play real guitar? I pretty much never use my pinky, both while sucking at RL guitar and rocking out in GH. Use that little tab on the yellow to to guide your hand.

I never use the hammer-ons and jack-I mean pull-offs. I always play them too fast and miss the beat. One thing easier in RL guitar than GH IMO

12. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    AND HE'S HERE!

Alright, some tips that will help you have an easier time with Guitar Hero!

Learn to use Practice mode. Don't think that you'll be able to master a song by playing the full thing over and over. It's possible, but it takes forever. Take it from a guy who played Freebird over 20 times on Expert without practicing. Plus, Practice mode will let you play the parts that have been handing your ass to you on a silver platter. It is ESSENTIAL for some songs on Hard and Expert.

Know where your fingers are. If you go into a fast solo, and you think your pointer finger's on the red fret, and it isn't, your rock meter's gonna go down. Really, really fast.

Hammer-on's and Pull-off's. These two are going to be your best friends in the last two tiers of Medium, and every song on Hard and Expert. I could describe them and how to do them, but the tutorial does it well enough.

Finally, learn to strum up and down. This is going to help you on most later songs when there are insanely fast sections, such as Jordan on GH II, as well as Raining Blood, Knights of Cydonia, and One on GH III.

You'll get better at it. Just keep going at it, and don't give up.

13. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    yeah I do a bit, I use my pinky for chords, but not for soloing, I can solo a bit, but not great, nothing fancy

14. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Yeah the up and down strum did wonders for me.

15. Beemer

Beemer Coined "Sunbowner" TM (C) R

News Credits:
    I agree with everything onesock said. Also, Numlock, if the control response seems different to you, then you might want to check out this myspace link, which details in pics the method I used to solve a problem which was plaguing me: I got really good at Guitar Hero over four iterations of the game, and then suddenly Guitar Hero III told me I was crap. Apparently, if you use a pick to strum or otherwise aggressively strum the bar, it'll think you strummed twice when it returns to the neutral position.

How this never got fixed in testing amazes me. It's too much to ask that people who fell in love with this game suddenly have to relearn to play from scratch.

16. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Believe it ot not, I've never even played a Guitar Hero game until yesterday. My brother bought GHIII for the Wii and I played it after stuffing myself w/ turkey. I'm not musically inclinded in any way, but I was able to find the rhythm on a few songs I knew and had a blast. Some of the solos though are incredibly hard for my fat fingers. I fully intend on picking up GHIII for the 360 after playing a few songs last night. Heck, might even have to pick up a 2nd controller as my wife enjoyed playing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot". In fact, she did better than me!

17. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I DID IT!!

I beat guitar hero 1 on expert, w00t! holy crap was it hard lol It took me a few tries to get the last song there, I had to bail myself out of the solos with the star power, but I was thrilled I actually did it! I got the battle axe guitar, it's sweet. Grim Reaper is still better though :p 

so I cleared all the levesl on all 4 difficulties, expert mode was mostly 3 and 4 stars, with a few 5's in there, trying to beat the song, and getting 5 stars is a whole different challenge

but im moving onto guitar hero II now, im about a quarter way through expert mode on it, I've already practised some of the harder ones like physcobilly freakout, and I can do that one on expert without using starpower, and its like the hardest song I think, not sure, I havn't even played all the songs on that one before, just on my little brothers game, he has them all unlocked.

w00t! this game is addicting lol

18. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Jordan will own your ass for days on end.

I guarantee it.

19. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    lol yeah, Jordans a tough one, I can get through it fine when slowing it down, but its got such long solos, I have NO idea how they go, and its just too fast to sight read through it, some songs like that, you HAVE to know how they go to be able to beat them full speed.

It's like playing a real instrument, you can be killer at guitar, but if you don't know how a song goes, you're gonna bomb it :p 

20. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    I am in need of some tips to step from medium to hard on GH and RB. I can stomp on medium but hard kicks my ass.