Guitar Hero/Rock Band Questions... (PS3 specific)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by jourdo, Feb 23, 2008.

1. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I just recently picked up GH3 for PS3 and absolutely love this. I want to look at picking up the older PS2 games and have my eyes set on Rock Band as well.

Here are my questions:

1. I've read about compatibility issuse with the GH3 controller and Rock Band. I cannot find any info newer than this past December about a patch possibly coming out. Does anyone know if this is still an issue? Does the RB controller work with GH3? Basically I want to know if I get RB, will I still be short a guitar because of this?

2. I've also read that the GH3 controller does not work with the older versions of the game. This didn't make sense to me. Anyone know if this is the case?

Am I better off picking up a PS2 GH controller for now if I want the older games?

Thanks

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    The PS3 version of Rock Band does not support the GH3 controller, at all. No patch is being released, Activision won't allow it.

Not sure about compatibility issues with the Les Paul and older GH games though. I had II for the 360 and III for the Wii.

3. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Harmonix developed a patch that would allow you to use the PS3 GH guitar on Rock Band, but Activision blocked its release. They apparently want Harmonix to pay them before they would allow the (free, mind you) patch to be released. Harmonix said eff that, so no, you can't use the GH guitar on Rock Band.

Also, unless something has changed fairly recently, you can't play GH 1 or 2 on your PS3. Well, technically you could play it with a controller I suppose, but the guitars don't work. So not only can you not pay 1 or 2 with your guitar from 3, you can't even play the first two games AT ALL. Which sucks.

4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

*sigh* I want to play GH1 again. But no way am I going to get a working PS2 just for that.

5. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    So basically I've got myself an expensive controller that only works with one game, is not backwards compatible with other titles from the same series, is not sold separately if I want to play co-op, and also have a game that will not work with older versions of the controller?

Basically no way to play with more than one player.

Sweet deal for me!

6. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Right now, yes.

Theoretically any future games in the GH series on the PS3 should work with your current GH3 guitar.

Of course, since the GH series is:
    A) quickly spreading itself too thin and becoming mediocre (dear forthcoming GH Aerosmith edition, I'm looking at you)
    B) losing the battle of public perception to the juggernaut that is Rock Band...I don't know how much that would even matter to anybody.

But seriously...get Rock Band. It's INCREDIBLE. Expensive, but worth every penny.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  7. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That was my plan tonight... but I had to put the kiddies to bed instead. There's always tomorrow.

8. neek_buster

neek_buster The One Man Army

News Credits:
    Maybe you can wait next month and cough up extra $60 for nyko's PS3 frontman guitar which support both GH & RB