Guitar Hero Advice

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by soundwaveCA, Dec 11, 2007.

1. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Ok I caved, between Razerwire and my bro I'm addicted to this thing. Looking at both 2 & 3 for the 360 just want to know how to buy it. I'm thinking about buying 2 cheap online used or something and buy 3 new with the guitar. My only concern is the wireless guitar that comes with 3, not a fan of wireless as I find them unreliable. So what say you guys go with a cheap 2 and a new wireless 3 or a new 2 with a wired guitar and buy 3 seperetely?

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

...you have a 360 and aren't a fan of wireless?

Whut?

3. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    I can't speak for the 360's wireless guitar, but the PS2 wireless guitar that I got recently is pretty reliable.

I have no comment on whether or not the 360 versions of GHII and III are worth $90 and $100, respectively. I waited until GHII with controller for PS2 was $60 at Circuit City.

4. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    I liked the song line up on 2 a lot more than 3. I felt that 3 was actually pretty weak. Heck, if you can, go all the way and get rock band. That has an awesome line up.

5. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm in the same boat. My brother got me hooked on GH @ thanksgiving as he had recently bought GH3 for the Wii. I want it for the 360 (darn achievements/gamerscore!), but I too was wondering how I should tackle buying the games.

I want the wireless guitar, but I can't find it anywhere locally. I highly doubt any family member will find it either in time for Christmas. I don't mind having one guitar wired, but how long is the cord? I don't want to have to stand right in front of the television when playing...and should my wife want to play she'll want to sit and not stand.

One way or the other, I'll own both of these games b/c I'm dying to try my hand @ the Foo Fighter's song "the Pretender".

6. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Never had a single problem with my wireless GH3 controller. Get GH3 and find GH2 cheap.

7. dlatkow

dlatkow Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Be careful when buying a used GH2 guitar. My brother bought one from game stop and it was one of the first release guitars. The springs on it are much stiffer then the later releases and it is really difficult play songs on the harder levels.

8. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I've loved my wireless guitar on the 360. I hate the Xplorer.

Since you want both games, why not buy both bundles? You'll have 1 of each guitar, so if you like one better than the other you can use that with, and you'll have another for friends to jam out on. That and it's a ripoff to buy them separate.

9. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    The wireless guitar looks and feels great. Just make sure to shove the neck ALL the way into the body. Sometimes it looks like it is but other times its not. I've had no problem with it otherwise. Great battery life too.

10. Sky Shark

Sky Shark Well-Known Member

Best bet buy both bundles even if spread out. See, GH2 is actually slightly easier than GH3 so its better for newbies and then GH3 is more for seasoned/medium players but don't expect to do good on hard in GH3 if you did good on GH2's hard. I don't know much about the wireless but it does seem like it would hold better and usally 360 wireless controlers are reliable so if your getting it for the 360 maybe you should get GH3 bundle and GH2 solo.

11. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I saw @ Wal-Mart last night that they are now bundling the Xplorer guitar w/ GH3. I wonder if that has anything to do w/ the fact that you can't find the wireless guitar bundle ANYWHERE right now?

I asked for GH3 for Christmas, but I'm not expecting anyone to actually find the wireless bundle...so I said the GH2 bundle would be an acceptable alternative.

12. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Ah, so you want your soul eaten by GH too, eh? :D 

I have GH2&3 (played through the first one with a bud) definately worth it, I waited and got 2 used...then I was instantly hooked.

But, since I've had Rockband, I've haven't touched GH. It just kicks all kinds of ass.

I say that, because, in retrospect, I wish I had just waited for Rockband. The first wave of guitars for them were crap, but they sent me a new one free, I've played the hell out of it. Completly awesome for multiplayer, which is mostly how I play, either with my BBF or my kids.

It's amazing how many "new friends" you have when it leaks at work that you have Rockband. All of a sudden everyone wants to come over :lol 

13. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

I'm not a fan of wireless controllers either, but it was the only way I could get the game for the PS2. It works great, and the battery life is incredible. I've been playing almost every day and it's still running on it's original batteries.

14. Atomsplitter

That was actually the only way to get it for a while at Walmart, they didn't have wireless ones for a long time.

15. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Get all 4 GHs. :D 

I'd say get a bundle pack if you can find one and then just find used games for the others.

16. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Thanks for the impute :D 

Will have to look into Rock Band, though its probably out of my price range for a wile yet as I also want Halo 3 as well. Looks like I'll be picking up a GH3 bundle with the wireless for now and pick up a game only GH2 on the cheap.

Dont have the system yet, getting a free one with my Air Miles points and getting the HD for it for Christmas. Will be using this one on my bro's 360 until mine arrives.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  17. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I recommend sticking to GH 1 and 2 because 3 and that 80s piece of crap blow.

But yeah, a lot of fun all around.

18. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Buying GH 2 this weekend since I have $60 bones left on my EB gift card. Thanks for all the advice guys much appreciated.

19. Atomsplitter

80s I can understand, but how does 3 blow?

20. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, perhaps blow is too harsh, but it's a definite step down from the previous two actual games. Sure, the song list is still pretty strong, but a lot of the aesthetic was changed after Harmonix left. The way they developed tracks' note progression feels off from the previous games, like it doesn't quite match and flow like it used to. Plus, there is now a ridiculous penchant for incredibly long and nonsensical hammer on/pull off tapping, without ever strumming, which doesn't fit where it's often used.

Then some other things, like lack of quick co-op play, the battle mode, probably other things.

Don't get me wrong, it's still fun, but I wouldn't recommend paying full price for it. Wait around and get it cheaper while you play the first two, or maybe get Rock Band just the game, the GH controllers will work for it. Can't comment on the gameplay of Rock Band yet since I haven't played it myself, but I've heard good things about the actual game, less so for its guitar controller.

Oh, and of course there's this, lists the faults of GH3 better than I ever could. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...tuation/2716-Zero-Punctuation-Guitar-Hero-III