Guitar Advice Needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Evan Goldsborough, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

Let me say first that I'm on a very limited budget here, based upon negotiation with the parents. Secondly, the more important of the two questions I have is the second one. if you'd rather just skip down and see if you can't help with that one, that'd be fine.

As I'm starting to learn guitar, and getting better at it (considering I'm self-taught, I think I'm doing pretty fair so far), I'm looking for a new electric. Anything to replace the one I have now: I mean, I don't know what make my current one is, but it's pretty much a poor Strat copy (with Tele-style pickup configuration and a non-functioning tone knob). Primary issue facing me is my lack of a job, but my father's a bass player and I could probably convince him to help me buy one.

I've determined that I eventually wish to get a Fender Esquire (inspired by Syd Barrett, mainly), but that's running for $600 or more in most online stores I've seen, and that's too far out of negotiation range at the moment. I AM keeping watch on eBay for any decent deals, but I'm also interested if any of you know of any online stores that I may be able to find a significant discount on it.

(for reference, this is the model I speak of: http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0131502303 )

Now, in my searching of eBay for the Esquire, I come across this auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/kent-electric-g...oryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is seriously tempting to me. I was already leaning towards getting a semihollow or hollowbody before I discovered the Esquire. Granted, it's not in great condition as is, but it seems as though I could get the electronics and pickups refurbished for fairly cheap (even though they apparently work as is, I want to be sure), and I figure I may just spraypaint the body black or something. A decent mid-way until I collect enough to get an Esquire is all I'm shooting for.

So, you think this thing would be worth getting?

2. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I play guitar, and if I had to chose between a less expensive new guitar or a used because of low funds. I would chose a new one. I would definately not buy a guitar on ebay, to me you have to be able to test out a guitar before you decide to buy it, so you know how it feels and sounds and if it suites you.

edit-after checking the e-bay link, I wouldn't pay more than 20 bucks for that thing, I bet it has serious issues and probably a warped neck.

3. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah although I got my guitar as a gift (my uncle, who's been playing guitar and bass for all his life, helped to pick it out for me so I trust him and i love my guitar) I would definitely recommend heading out to guitar center and seeing if they have that model in stock and if you can jam around with it.

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Go to a pawn shop or on line and try to find a Mexican made Strat, they are very good quality and a fair bit cheaper than American made Strats.

5. honestgabe

honestgabe I

Guitar Center and Sam Ash usually have some good deals I was able to snag an American Strat for about 600, which is a pretty sick deal. Right now, I'm in the market for a Jazzmaster, I must have one in my life.

6. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

If you think that guitar is gonna be a major part of your life, go for a cheap one. If you get real good, then get a more expensive guitar. If you just play it to the side, like me, just stay with a cheap model, mine was only $200

7. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Wow. those are fricken expensive lol!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1960-FENDER-ESQ...ryZ33039QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

I think you should buy body, neck, pickups, bridge and all... seperately. That will save you the most money I think.

I found this one for ya, but a lil spendy maybe? Go with a low offer first, then counter the offer lol.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Built-Esquire-Fender-Warmoth_W0QQitemZ
    270149975872QQihZ017QQcategoryZ38083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Im not sure about those Japanese ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1980s-FENDER-JA...ryZ41406QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Dont give in. Talk to a manger or somethin or get to know the guys at the music shop, maybe you can get a good deal on a new one? Or sometimes, they have a classified board that other musicians are trying to selll thier stuff too! Ask around.

My mom says you cant have a champagne taste with a beer wallet.

8. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Ive been playing for 18 years. Ive been in many bands and currently in one now. Based on my profesional opinion from a musicians standpoint that if you are willing and are going to continue playing it is worth it to invest money in a nice guitar that will play right for you. The more you spend the more you get what you pay for. Better action, better pickups, neck, sound etc. A real Amercian fender start or a Les Paul would probally fit you nicely. The one thing we Americans can make is a damn fine guitar. I know you said you have a limited budjet, but its worth it in the end. About $500 or more and you may find a deal on some of these guitars. If your wondering I play a American made ESP Bass and Guitar. I have a American made Fender Squire, and many other generic brands.

9. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I forgot about Squires, I have one and it can be made to sound great with the right amp simulator.

10. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

Well, to respond (in no particular order):

EvaUnit13: Well, it's pretty much a hobby, but a hobby I'm putting a lot of effort into. I figure playing music would be a good backup in case I ever hit unemployment somewhere down the line, or if I just need additional money.

ShortCircuit: That first auction is for a vintage one. I see no point in that when I can get a modern-made one for less. And yeah, I've considered buying the components and getting someone locally to put it together for me (the squier Teles are pretty cheap, and could probably be converted over easily enough, though I WOULD need to get the correct wood for the body...), though I'd like to try and see if I could get the official reissue.

honestgabe: never heard of those stores yet, may have to try that....

Blunticon: yeah, I'm starting to save up. I was planning on mowing lawns and doing some housework for my grandparents this summer and such, but, well, we're in the middle of a drought. Grass doesn't grow. Still, I'm looking around for a real job as well.

pscoop: yeah, fair point about that auction.

To all the people who've suggested strats: Well, I've considered that, but I'm really looking for something more distinctive. not quite as common and all. that's why the Esquire's drawn so much attention from me...

11. Dark Ramjet

Dark Ramjet Waiting patiently

News Credits:
    One strat copy not mentioned the Univox Ripper. I wish I still had mine I would call it the muddiest guitar I ever played. The more gain the better it sounds. It wasn't my first but it was my learning guitar. I got it for $150 but that was 12 years ago. It definitely had a distinctive sound.

12. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    I love Ernie Ball Music Man products. Awesome American made goodness. They may be out of your price range though. You may be able to get a Sub1, but those have been discontinued.

I might recommend Ibanez. For guitars that are assembled in a line, they are consistently better quality than similarly priced Strats and Les Paul copies. The RG series is pretty good, I still have my old RG530.

I will echo what others have said. A nice guitar will be American made and will cost you +1000 bucks. My EBMM Petrucci was 1275 off of eBay (eBay can be a good route considering you play the guitar before at some store or something). I am about to spend around two grand on a seven string, also an EBMM Petrucci, in Bahama Blue Burst (quilted).

Quality instruments are expensive. Just be happy you aren't buying any wind instruments, or a piano for that matter.

13. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I've got a few pieces of advice for you as a person who's rolled through enough guitars over the years that I ran out of fingers and toes to count 'em on. First and foremost, if you have a particular guitar in mind, and you've played it and know beyond all doubt that it's the guitar for you, don't buy a cheaper guitar now. Save money until you can get the one you want. Especially if you currently have a guitar that's somewhat playable.

Second, if you have to go looking for a guitar right now within a certain budget, do yourself a huge favor and play every guitar you can find. Go to Guitar Center, your local shops, pawn shops, whatever. Don't take anyone's word for it on playability, because that's the most subjective thing in the world. Quality wise, you'll be shocked what you can find in the low-dollar range these days. Dean makes some surprisingly awesome low-dollar guitars. Ibanez has awesome low-dollar guitars so long as you stay away from their less expensive trem-bridges. Their fixed bridge RG series is spectacular though. Epiphone makes a very good guitar for the money. Schecter gets a lot of raves, though I've only played one of them I found it to be a very high quality for the price, but not quite right for my hands.

But, always remember, buy the guitar that FEELS right. And play as many as you can find to play before buying. Especially if you're on a budget and you know you won't be able to get another one for several years.

Good luck. Guitar shopping is a blast so long as you can keep the drooling sales monkeys off your back.

14. Cynicist

Cynicist Give me the 'oop

Don't buy a guitar if you haven't played it yet, every guitar has a unique feel and you have to find the one that feels right in your hands

I have cheap and custom guitars, but my favorite is a $475 Jackson KV3 I got about 10 years ago

I would never...NEVER...buy a Fender though, but that's just me :D 

15. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love guitar threads! And Syd Barrett fans--yay! A lot of good advice so far in this thread. I would say:

Don't purchase any guitar you haven't played, or at least had a more experienced player try for you ahead of time.

Buy at a music store. You've got recourse if there's a problem, and a much wider selection.

If you see a guitar you like that's $300, and all you have is $200, WAIT until you have $300. Don't settle for something.

My "throw-around" guitars are an Epiphone Les Paul Junior, a Peavey strat copy, and a Squier strat copy. I'm happy with all of them for what they are. Also, Carvin has some kits that are relatively inexpensive and fun to put together--they used to be around $300, but no idea what they are now.

You'll be bashing out Baby Lemonade or Effervescing Elephant in no time.
    :thumb 

16. Cynicist

Cynicist Give me the 'oop

Carvin does make good guitars, and they offer a full "if you don't like it, send it back" kinda refund dealy thingy thing.

http://www.carvin.com/products/group.php?CID=KBN :D 

17. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^
    Yeah, the GK1 is the one I did. It's a terrific guitar, which I attribute completely to the materials, NOT to my craftsmanship.
    :lol 

18. Night Flame

Oh yeah, I forgot Peavey in my list of good cheapies. I've played a couple of them recently that just floored me for their prices.

I went from recommending Carvin heartily to not ever recommending them to anyone recently. Their customer service has fallen apart over the past few years, and I wouldn't trust them to send me out a couple dollar switch and get it right these days. Having hung with them for fifteen years, and owning nine of their guitars in that time, it was tough for me to realize they aren't worth dealing with anymore. I love their guitars, but really can't stomach them or their business practices these days.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  19. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Yeah Baby!! 7 string FTMFWMF!!!!!
    [​IMG]

BTW to the person who mentioned Jacksons..It has been my guitar of choice for 15 years or so.

20. Night Flame

Nice. I don't think I've ever seen a seven string with that body before.

And Jackson does make a nice guitar.