Guilty Pleasures?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by UnicronFTW, Mar 23, 2012.

1. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    So, lets face it, at some point in our lives we've watched something that can be considered a bit embarassing. Or for that matter, enjoyed something that can be considered a bit embarassing. This is what's known as a "Guilty Pleasure". Something you're cautious about enjoying, but enjoy nonetheless. What are some of yours? Come, bare your soul.

I won't lie... I miss the days of watching Disney and Nickelodeon sit-coms. :confused2 

2. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Many of my "guilty pleasures" originate from my youth.

As for shows, Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go, Chalkzone, The Amanda Show, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, Whatever Happened to Robot Jones, Mucha Lucha, and Sheep in the Big City.

As for movies, Kiki's Delivery Service, Go-Bots: Battle of the Rock Lords, and Batman and Robin.

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Criminal Minds. The show has little to nothing to do with how profiling nabs criminals; if you watch carefully, nearly all the crooks are caught using conventional police methods. Also, the sensationalised violence and blatant lack of dignity that the show affords victims of crime is downright embarrassing. Still, some of the cases dealt with are pretty interesting, and the Reaper remains one of my favourite fictional serial killers.

4. Strarf

Strarf Toy Battles Reloaded TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I consider Queen's Blade and Girls Bravo two of mine.

5. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Former:
    Naruto and all 2 forms of it
    Disney and Nickelodeon things

Still Going on:
    Anything that I can talk about on here EX. Young Justice, TFP, etc.
    Ben 10 and all of its forms

6. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    Transformers

7. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Previous:
    -Powerpuff Girls
    -My Life as a Teenage Robot
    -Nickleodeon shows like "The Amanda Show" and whatnot.

Current:
    -RotF
    -Schumacher's Batman films

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of any at the moment.

8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd probably have to say hyper-fanservice-y anime, as well.

I very rarely watch them, but occasionally, there'll be one with good character designs, or voice actors I like, or something, and go "eh, why not".

I'll still usually do a bit of research beforehand, though, so I'm not watching total jank that's only about the T&A. Ikkitousen burned me that way. Never again.

But I've wound up finding some of my favs that way. Grenadier was just silly good fun, filled with awesome and clever fights, and an unusually heartwarming and upbeat story. Kannazuki no Miko turned out to be a top-notch, emotionally gripping love story in the end (although fully steeped in its melodrama). Witchblade far transcended its ridiculous character designs and roots in T&A comics with its surprisingly mature story of a single mother trying desperately to fend for her young daughter.

Verdict's still out on Freezing, though. On one hand, it had a strong grip on its subject matter, with some fairly strong character development on the part of its emotionally damaged heroine. On the other hand, the rampant nudity was almost too much. There was the rare scene or two where the nudity rightfully added a certain "uncomfortableness" to the events, but more often than not, just made it difficult to take seriously, with characters posturing and making victory speeches with their ample bosoms hanging out for the world to see. So, mixed reactions on that one. Loved the characters, would love to see a second season for that reason, but the nudity was totally over-the-top. The theme song kicks ass, though.

9. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Here's another one that's not exactly watching shows, I love shipping characters as long as it makes sense of course.

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - Yu-Gi-Oh - The original series, Yu-Gi-Oh: G1, Yu-Gi-Oh: The 1D or whatever the one with the Millenium items and the Pharoah is officially called now. The "serious business" nature of the whole thing, the ridiculousness of the premise and the overdramatic acting in the dub just make it fun to watch.

- Dracula 3000 - Quite possibly one of the worst movies ever made. Terrible acting, stupid premise, bad special effects, Coolio, awful dialogue and one of the dumbest endings I've ever seen. But the whole mess is so bad that it actually loops around to being enjoyable.

- Snakes on a Plane - Another one that, objectively, is fairly bad but still manages to be funny and a good ride if you shut off your brain and just enjoy it.

- Flesh Gordon - I haven't ever watched Flash Gordon to get all of the parody elements, but this one is still bizarre and funny enough to be a entertaining anyway.

11. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Never seen Queen's Blade but I have seen Girls Bravo and well, I just laughed every time the kid that's voiced by Yuri Lowenthal talks.

12. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

ROTF and Spider Man 3 are two that I can think of.

13. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Expendables, Ghost Rider 2, Van Damme's entire career [I just like the guy].

14. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Sigh.

Dance Moms. There I said it.

And oh yeah, KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park.

15. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

G.I. Joe The Rise of Cobra
    New Spongebob episodes (I feel guilty because they are nowhere near as good as the old ones)
    Power Rangers

16. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

I don't really believe in feeling guilty for liking something.

I suppose the closest would be Family Guy, which I have a love/hate relationship with. There are parts I think are hilarious or harmless, and other parts I find obnoxious and downright offensive. It mostly ends up coming out in the form of apathy.

If we're going off of what some people might consider "guilty pleasures" though, I'd probably put Ghost Rider as a franchise and the film Dragonheart.

Also, to the guy who mentioned Kiki's Delivery Service, while I haven't seen that one yet, there is no shame in liking Miyazaki films. In fact, I dare say those who don't are more soulless than the bastards who hate Pixar.

17. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Hey, there is no guilt in enjoying Dragonheart...

18. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

Like I said, I don't actually feel guilt for liking the things I like.

Just saying that, as a film buff, I know there are people of my ilk who would think me crazy for it.

19. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah!

C.H.U.D.
    Old Three Stooges episodes
    Two Stupid Dogs (always got corned on for watching it but I like what I like)
    Dog the Bounty Hunter
    Megaforce

20. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

...G1