Guild Wars

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Dream, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Dream

Dream SEND THE BOOKS!

Anyone play?

2. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Shinki,Braves,TF's Oh my!

I've thought about it, especially after i gave up wow for a few months but i never picked it up. is it any good?

3. Dream

Dream SEND THE BOOKS!

It's pretty addictive, and fun. I got the third game, Nightfall, for christmas, and then got the other two games as a Valentines gift from my wife.
    It's very hip.

4. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

Used to, but I found the first expansion Story Missions to be more annoying than worth it, and the classes they added just didn't thrill me after using them. Plus I hated having to load a new dam patch going into every town. And the 8 Skill set only kinda made skill buying worthless.

It looked nice though.

5. Hound_Dawg

someone told me there where alot of patches to it, i wasn't worried to much when i was gunning to get the game cuz wow has alot of patches too, i think my only "real" fear was if i had to buy all the expansions right then and there as well as the game to before i could play. I just didn't want to sink 50 on the game and 50 per expansion at one time. eventually i may still try it though

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I own it, without either of the expansions, but I play very rarely these days. I was on it all the time when I first got it though.

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The game isn't being patched every time you go into a new town. The game works on a streaming content system, to help minimize HD resource usage. So every time you go into a new town or area, it takes a short bit of time to load all the necessary files up. Once you've gone there at least once, though, then load times are cut to virtually zero.

And the 8 skill set is the entire point of the game. The designers likened it to playing a CCG like Magic: the Gathering or such, where you've got a certain limit on your skillset in order to create a sense of strategy. You can't just walk into an area and just have your full set of skills available to you. You have to pick and choose which skills look to be right for the task. Skill buying isn't worthless, it opens up more options for you, so that you don't lock yourself into a corner when you find that certain skills don't cut it for a given situation. Plus, with the addition of Heroes in Nightfall, they give you an outlet to use some of those nifty utility skills that, while useful, never quite seem to make the cut on your own personal skillset.

8. Hound_Dawg

that's a great explanation of the system. changed my thinking on it alot. Also thanks Flamepanther for letting me know that you don't have to have the expansions. I will rethink getting this game and check it out

9. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

I gave it a try when it was released, and found it to be almost the same as PSO. Instanced areas and you only see people in town or if you group with people. I think I made it to lvl 10 then quit.

10. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

I know all of that, and its why I didn't like it after a while. I would say the Heros system at least gave you some NPCs that didn't purely suck.

11. Dream

Dream SEND THE BOOKS!

Each game is a stand alone game. You don't need one to play the other, but you can use one character to play all three games, each game is a different part of the same world, so if you have more than one game, you get a quest to go travel to the other games to help out.
    Nightfall is awesome, and it gives you access to heroes, which are a permanent part of your team. You get to give them secondary professions and pick their skills, which you can't do if you hire henchmen to go with you.
    It also means you can play a majority of the game on your own, though teaming up with other players makes it more fun though.

12. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I've tried so hard in this game. I never got the second and thrid releases and we got a good group of people to switch over from wow. The only thing was it was a lot harder to have people on at the same time and we had two people quit because they couldn't jump. I really like it but it just takes you so long in the same areas that we quickly grow bored with the same old scenery.

13. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Same areas? Somehow, I do think you're playing the game wrong. The game's set up to virtually avoid the entire level-grind aspect. You gain 1-2 levels in any given area, and then keep plowing ahead. They throw you all sorts of bones in that regard, with huge EXP payouts for doing quests, a "bounty" system in Nightfall that doubles your EXP from certain enemy types, and there's even a quest in the first campaign that allows you to skip all that and jump straight to level 20.

14. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I got bored with the original GW after I got to lvl 20. I quit esentially. Enemies got ridiculously hard. With GW, they make you play with other people who can be complete and total morons. I am thinking of selling off my account.

15. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    That's the beauty of Nightfall. The Heroes know how to follow orders :D . It's almost like having another three party members at your beck and call. Obviously, they're not quite as competent, but their AI is still pretty good, and if you give them the right skills, they'll have your back, no questions asked.

16. Dream

Dream SEND THE BOOKS!

Yeah, the heroes come in handy. But also my guild (COBRA ISLAND !!!) is full of good players, and we usually all meet up to do quests, to help each other out.
    My necromancer hero (Olias) has Flesh Golem and bone minions, so that helps out a lot...that's like having a whole army running around with you.
    There's been times I play with random players, and it can be really fun or really crappy depending on the people you are playing with.
    And if you don't want to deal with grouping with others, and you don't have heros, henchmen always come in handy.