Guidance On 3rd Party - Knight Commander vs Grand Patriot

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dr. Grimlockisking, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So....I've pretty much got my collection where I want it to be, or stuff is pre-ordered and enroute, and I'm kind of going back over and looking at some other 3rd party toys and debating if I want to add them to my CHUG / MP stuff for additional "playability" or "playsets" looks, if that makes sense. That said, I'm kind of torn on the above mentioned toys. I like the looks of both of them, both the Optimus and Nemesis trains, and the Patriots two packs, but wondered what everyone else thinks who might have them?

I've read the feedback forums on them, and they seem to be mostly positive, but am curious as to what those who actually have them and have mixed them with other lines think. Worth it? No? One moreso than the other? Any input is appreciated :) 

2. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My take:

KMC Has some bad QC issues in it's first run. KMA is amazing and seems to fix most of what was wrong with it. While I haven't actually held a Grand Patriot, watching videos of the thing doesn't do it many favors. The scary engineering (dear god those ball jointed hips make the WORST sound), The headsculpts are blargh, the ugly as sin marble plastic, and lack of decent paint doesn't do it for me.

3. Dr. Grimlockisking

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What were the QC problems on KNC? I read about loose shoulders, but that's about it. I don't know that I'm sold on an Optimus style train anyways, but I LOVE the look of Annihilator.

Anyone have some input on the Patriot stuff?

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    emgo did a video review of the grand patriot.

aside from the "hollowness" of the plastic, it is a rather nifty item.

but i have decided to skip the grand patriot and the Knight Morpher in favor of the all black Knight Morpher repaint (the annihilator) because all the QC issues the Knight morpher were fixed (according to Vangelus.)

5. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Knight Commander is much better. Better quality and more fun in general.

6. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've handled a Grand Patriot - and the noise the hip joints make is actually quite worrying. Ball joints should not sound like ratchets. It felt very light, very hollow and the engineering wasn't up to much (lots of gaps in vehicle mode, and the legs feel like they'll break during transformation). I can't really recommend it. :( 

7. unicron nemesis

unicron nemesis Infinite Black Photog

News Credits:
    I bought both versions of KM & Grand Patriots and I think KM is a much sturdier toy compared to the GPs. In terms of design, both have the plus and minuses. Despite the reviews and reports on KM-01's problems, I've yet to face any of those, even after transforming him quite a few times. I've transformed GP once and dare not transform him a 2nd time...

Knight Morphers

Grand Patriots

8. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Don't get the commander.
    Don't get the Grand Patriot

Get the KNIGHT MORPHER ANNIHILATOR

9. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    The feedback thread had a pretty good rundown of the common problems. Some of the KMC had really tight arms and elbows, some had a problem with the chest piece not staying up. The tight joints were a problem because the screws are too soft and can strip the heads if you try to loosen them. The shoulders aren't loose, they just have to snap in until they click - at which point they're prone to snapping if you transform it back to train mode. Someone in the feedback thread had some good pictures of the broken shoulder, how it clicks to avoid the looseness, and why the joint piece is really fragile.

10. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    KMC doesn't have tight arms. On mine, it has ARMS THAT FREAKIN BREAK MY THUMBS. I almost broke my thumb trying to press the arm out.

11. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I only have the KM-01 (red / blue version), and i have had no QC problems with it. Getting the arms out of the shoulder pads takes some force, but I have had no stress marks or breaks, luckily. So that's one I would definitely recommend. If I didn't have the red / blue version already, I'd definitely have bought the KM Annihilator, as it seems to be even better than the KM-01 version.

12. Dr. Grimlockisking

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, based on everything everyone said, I went ahead and added KMA to my POL at BBTS, I think I'll hold off on the other two for now. Hopefully they go on clearance, then they might be worth the price, but Annihilator looks pretty darn sweet as it is. Has Mastermind said they are going to do more with the Knight Morpher line?

13. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good decision! Actually, if you know the Hearts of Steel comic: they are working on recreating both the Insecticon train and the Shockwave gunboat from that comic. See their homepage here! There are already pictures of a prototype version of the Insecticon train; not sure if there are pictures of Shockwave. But the Insecticon train looks very good indeed!
    I'm not sure if they are going to do any more versions of the Knight Morpher itself. It would of course make sense to milk the mold further, considering the development costs for it, but I guess the novelty version would lessen after the first couple of releases. I guess an Ultra Magnus (white / blue locomotive) would look a bit strange though... and the most logical versions have been covered (Optimus Prime colors / black version).

14. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    they also have an ultra magnus version of that mold I think

15. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    + infinity

KMC had issues with joints

Grand patriot is Ana engineering and QC nightmare

16. Dr. Grimlockisking

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice! Hmm....I may have to go ahead and order the regular one too, seeing as it looks like he'll be the only "Good Guy" in the line for a while

17. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    At one time MMC had a survey on their webpage for the next redeco of KMC - Magnus was one of the choices, but Annihilator won by a pretty good margin.

For the OP: Annihilator is a good 1st choice - if you like it, you'll already have the modded head for Commander. If you don't like it and don't want to pick up Commander, PM about selling the head to me :D 

18. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    U should prolly just save your cash for FP casuality

19. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He'll accumulate more funds during the wait te for casuality :p