Minor/Repaint: Guess the alt

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by evilratbat, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    EvilRatBat, your figure is looking pretty good so far. However, if you need any more help on getting an idea about how to disassemble and repaint Transformer figures, check out this link:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=72288

I've been trying to archive as much knowledge as I can - both my own and other posters' advice - on the tips and tricks behind doing a repaint/kitbash of a Transformer. Check it out.

2. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

So, what do I win?

3. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

I've been pretty lazy in working on my BT Alert to Prowl mod, mostly because I know my limitations.

Threads like this don't help.

I mean seriously -- TF's aren't Legos. Disassembly is not a trivial thing -- or, in the case of a short run like BT Alert, a desirable one. Masking and spray painting small areas without screwing up others isn't cake either. And I dread the thought of trying to apply labels to water-based paint.

Maybe I'll finish it up, maybe I won't. But I'll definitely have second thoughts about sharing photos.

-XCN-

4. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

I've found that painting something white is damn next to impossible. The color underneath will always show through. I'd recomend just finding something that's already white. Otherwise try a base coat of gray to blot out the color then go white.

By the way I generally preffer to hand paint too, but if you do, thin your paint a little first so that it won't hold brushstrokes.

For paints you'll want to use testors acrylic or enamel. Acrylic is my prefference. Dries faster and you don't need thinner to clean up.

I did some of my early kitbashes with water based paints and in most cases ended up regretting it. The paint just ends up too sloppy and doesn't really hold on to the plastic. I had a few successes (mostly with zoids) but acrylics are just worlds better.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    GigatronSama (and others) have offered some indispensible advice (as I previously posted); just thought I'd add a little bit.

I hand paint all of my customs (it's kinda my niche now :D  ) and there are a few things I do to get a pretty smooth finish (there are always going to be a small amount of brushstrokes, but when hand painting the goal is to minimize them as much as possible):

Disassemble the entire piece. You mentioned before it was difficult to you, but it's actually a lot easier to paint this way. Some of the disassembly is a pain, yes (I don't bother with rods and pins right now for instance, but I'm planning to learn later for some of them). For this step, also have a base that is unaltered (i.e. if you're using the Windcharger mold, don't use your only one and have it nearby as you will want it to go by to reassemble).

As stated, a base coat is good. I've found lately that a flat coat works well.

Personally, since I hand paint, acrylics work well for me. My experience with enamel is that it seems to gum up really bad and it always has a gummy finish (I've touched enamel pieces years after I painted em only to leave my fingerprints for example). Acrylics dry faster, which is good if you're impatient like me. :p 

When actually painting each piece, I use very light and rapid brushstrokes. I always paint in the contour of the piece as well (if the piece is longer in length than height, I paint in the direction of the length for example).

Another thing I do is I sand a lot. I have a lot of different grit grades of sandpaper that I use. My process is a bit tedious because it consists of painting a base>painting a top coat>sanding>repeat (until I obtain the finish I want).

I'm not the expert here, but I just thought I would share the things that work for me. I'm always learning, which is why I frequent here as much as I do. I know I'm :horse:  but everyone here really inspires me. If you're interested in my work, simply click my sig>"Superquad Links" on the menu to the left of that page>then the link to my Photobucket account.

Keep at it dude! Can't wait to see how it turns out! :rock  :thumbs2: 

6. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    Krylon Fusion spray paint is my friend, even when it comes to white. I took an Alt Ravage and made him white and it looks solid. It did take a few coats. Don't be affraid to use multiple coats of paint. You'll be sorry if you don't.

7. evilratbat

evilratbat EVILRATBAT

thanks for your help on that i know white is a pain in the arse in any case , will do that with my getaway as well , Thanks all

8. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I've found that one coat of metalic silver will totally cover anything underneath. Give it a light spray paint (or smooth hand paint) of metalic silver and even white will look perfectly solid and opaque on top.