Guardians of The Galaxy (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Mr.Roboto, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    So how come no one is talking about this comic? It just kicks so much ass in sooooo many levels. I never read the Annihilation series so I may have to in order to get some backstory. But just the appearance of Vance Astro was enough of a win for me in issue #2. I loved the original series and this recent incarnation of it is deserving of its name. Can't wait to see/read what happens next. :) 

2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Wow...they brought back GotG? Man, I miss quite a bit when I give up on comics :lol 

I was always more a fan of New Warriors over GotG.

Vance Astrovik > Vance Asrto :p 

3. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Wow...they brought back GotG? Man, I miss quite a bit when I give up on comics :lol 

I was always more a fan of New Warriors over GotG.

Vance Astrovik > Vance Asrto :p 

4. Dilborg

Dilborg Well-Known Member

Screw the backstory! Just go out and read both Annihilation and Annhilation:Conquest! They're two very good storylines.

5. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i picked this up because i dug annihilation and plan on getting conquest eventually too, and i dig GOTG so far...

6. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I was surprised that no one else was talking about this title either, as I mentioned briefly in the Secret Invastion thread.

The first two comic series' my brother introduced me to were the original Guardians title and New Warriors. I eventually dropped Guardians b/c I was young, poor and had a short attention span. I jumped however on the new Guardians title despite only reading tidbits of the Annihiliation story. Great book so far, can't wait to see how the events in #2 work out, esp. the chunk of "Avengers history" that was found frozen in the ice.

7. Mr.Roboto

News Credits:
    So I was looking up some information on Guardians of The Galaxy and saw the cover for issue # 3. Guess who makes a return?! Spoiler Starhawk Spoiler. Now if they continue this trend of bringing back old characters I am going to love this series!!

8. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

...Im mostly following it for Rocket Racoon. Which probably says stuff about me I'd rather not think about. :D 

9. Dilborg

Dilborg Well-Known Member

RR's sense of humour is definitely a high point of the comic.

10. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've not had a chance to hit a comic shop in over a month, so I just got caught up on this series.

And once again I am given a shining example of precisely why I feel Annihilation is the best thing Marvel's done for itself in YEARS. Everything that spawned off of it, I have -loved-.

Vance Astro, I squee'd. I thought it was gonna be a cheap Cap America insert.

And then when I saw Starhawk, I went "HOLY FUCK".

11. Mr.Roboto

News Credits:
    This series is the Second Coming. If they somehow bring back the whole team I am going to soil myself. :D 

12. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Let me just expand on what I'm talking about:

Annihilation: Loved it. It brought back a lot of good memories from my Infinity Gauntlet-intro to the Marvel Universe, and it had an ENDING. Best "big event" to come from the Big Two in years, as far as I'm concerned. Nova, Ronan, Drax, Super-Skrull, Thanos, Annihilus...all characters who, through a set of comics that was completely overshadowed by the disappointing Civil War event, have become some of my favourite fictional badasses ever. (All over again, in some cases. ;)  )

Annihilation Conquest: Not as badass as the first, but it carries on the characters in ways I respect.

Nova: One of the few Marvel ongoings I actually spend money on. Truly satisfying reads, and great nods to characters that are otherwise out of 616.

Heralds of Galactus: Two comics I really enjoyed as further Cosmic sidestories.

Guardians of the Galaxy: All the fun of Conquest:Starlord rolled into what is becoming a giant fanwank to folks like me, who have more memories of books like Guardians of the Galaxy than the "bigger" Marvel series.

Overall, Annihilation and everything that's spun off of it all plays directly to my tastes. That + the fact that it only really ties in to the larger "omg epic world events" through Nova seems to be a boon, IMO.