Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova: Cosmic Marvel Continues to Rock

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Vangelus, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Please tell me someone else out there has been keeping up with Nova and the new Guardians of the Galaxy. D:

Lastest issues:
    Amidst the War of the Kings, Nova has to save his brother and the lovable cosmic kicktoy that is Lord Ravenous from the Imperial Guard's sadistic Strontian commander. Meanwhile, several of the Guardians of the Galaxy are teleported to the doomed future by Dr Doom's time machine, where "The Fault" is ripping apart the entire cosmos, fueled by how the extremely fragile Marvel Universe is being literally shredded by the various epic interstellar conflicts that the comic company still feebly tries to overshadow with 616-Earth drama. There they meet the original Guardians in an awesome "FUCK YEAH" moment for me, fight a horde of Badoon, and find a sun fueled by Celestials after Starhawk commits a glorious last stand sacrifice. The Badoon, cockroaches of the universe, managed to get the final cosmic cube and wipe out the rest of the species in order to construct a solar system-sized life-raft to ward off The Fault. Cosmo the psychic russian dog has a captive Celestial send word of how to stop The Fault in the present (it was caused by Black Bolt using a T-Bomb against the Shiar Empire), as Celestials have quantum consciousnesses that ignore time. The Celestial then falls into the sun with our heroes inside, as The Fault breaks in and obliterates the rest of the universe.

And all this stuff? It's delivered in an entertaining and fun way that leaves me wanting more.

Not to mention things like one of the newer Guardians being Jack Flagg, a former inmate in the Negative Zone gulag created during Civil War, who often complains about how much he hates "this cosmic shit".

Also King Blastarr of the Negative Zone giving Nova 15 minutes to save his brother, because they're Annihilation War buddies and Blastarr is trying to learn to be awesome badass warrior royalty.

If you are completely lost then go buy the original Annihilation trades and get caught up, damn it. :D  Especially if you've recently gotten back into mainstreamy comics due to Green Lantern, or have fond memories of the Infinity Gauntlet from your younger days.

2. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

I'm sorry, I don't read anything that has anything to do with Vulcan, the third Summers brother.

I grew so tired of the very notion that it immediately turns me off if he's at all involved. He also hangs on to the "grotesquely overpowered mutant with vague powers" thing they do that I also hate.

Marvel's overlong arcs (Red Hulk) and bizarre fanslaps (Brand New Day) have peeled me down to a single Marvel book right now.

Go read Thor.

- Coeloptera

3. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Vulcan reaaaally doesn't have much to do with the actual GotG or Nova ongoings- to be honest I'd never heard of him til War of the Kings, so maybe that's helping me out. XD

Give 'em a chance, they're way fun without the drama baggage of most of 616 nowadays.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  4. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    i was with nova until issue 24 or 25, but just dropped it...it started out real strong, but then just wasn't doing much for me...especially with the who Ego planet thing...marvel's space story just doesn't compare to GL... and i'm still reading GotG, but i'm 5 or 6 issues behind...but i definitely like that book alot more...

i picked up nova after reading annhilation (which i'm now selling all 3 hardcovers of) and it was fun for awhile, but i'm reading almost 50 books a month, and need to cut down, and since i was only barely enjoying it, Nova got cut...maybe i'll DL it to keep up with it...

5. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Me and Nova go waaaay back. I'm having his first series from the 70's and all the rest of his books bound into one huge hardback. My brother had the original GotG series bound for me as well...in 4 huge volumes. He went back to their first appearance in the 60's and put the rest of the pre-1990 series in chronological order in the books. Here are some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've been reading both of these titles since they started up again and have been loving them. You hit all the highlights thus far. I eagerly await each issue to get the next bit of the story. The whole War of Kings story has been great IMO. Make sure you pick up the actual War of Kings miniseries as well as the Ascension issues to get the whole story!

6. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    hey, i figured this might be a good place to find someone, i'm selling issue 1-24 of Nova, the most recent series...anyone interested PM me...

7. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Holy crap! Has anyone read Nova #32 yet? I can believe the ending! Namorita is alive?

8. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

im just getting into the annihilation stuff now but have the guardian trades and the war of kings trades to push through. Im really digging marvels cosmic stuff i hope it stays as strong as what ive read soo far!

9. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes and no.

She's alive there, but since
    the "champions" are taken from various points in the timeline (and Namorita isn't blue), this is her at some point before she is killed.

I'm guessing based on what's happening with Darkhawk in that issue, that each of the "champions" was taken from a point in time in which they might be about to die. Thus, if they are killed, the Sphinx gambles that when returned to their proper place, the timeline isn't damaged that badly. As Nova noted, the last time he encountered the Sphinx, the Sphinx was having problems due to having altered his own history too much. Because of that, use of the "minimal impact" gambit here.

Just a guess, mind you...

10. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    If anyone can help me, I would love to start reading the recent cosmic stuff, I guess I would start at Annihilation?
    Anywho, I collect TPB, could someone tell me what I need to buy to be completely caught up to now?

11. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

What i just recently picked up TPB wise was Annihilation 1-3, Annihilation Conquest 1-2, Nova Annihilation Conquest, Guardians of the Galaxy 1-2 and the War of Kings trade. I think that will give you all the big things that have occurred in the cosmic line. After i finish all those trades if im liking the Nova ongoing ill pick up those trades too.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  12. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Good guess. I'm wondering if Marvel will use this story to bring back her and possibly Black Bolt into regular continuity?

13. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah the contemporary (i.e. post Starlin Thanos) Marvel cosmic scene begins with Annihilation, which in 2006 single-handily brought me back from comics after I quit from the Onslaught fiasco.

If you want to get the full annihilation experience...you should track down the Thanos limited series from 2003/2004 (Thanos 1-12). This reveals how Thanos' character changes in subtle, but significant ways. This limited series also features the debut of the Kylnn, the maximum security prison that gets breached in the Annihilation story arc. There's also various interesting characters who are in the Kyln, who are featured/mentioned in Annihilation. I highly recommend getting the Thanos limited series. It's a good read.

There's also the Drax the Destroyer mini-series, which I haven't read, but I believe it may be in the TPB. That also explains how drax looks the way he does now vs. the way he used to look back in the day (i.e., not as fat, and intelligent, vs. stupid).

Also try to get the Annihilation mini-books such as Nova 1-4, Ronan 1-4, Silver Surfer 1-4, and Super-Skurll 1-4. I haven't really read Ronan, and the super-skrull story was my least favorite of the entire arc. However the Nova and Silver Surfer tie-ins are the ones that most directly relate to the actual Annihilation story.

It's from this Annihilation story-arc that Annihilation: Conquest, Nova and GOTG come from.

Lastly, Annihilation made me a big fan of Andy Schmidt...yup, the same Andy Schmidt who's working for IDW's Transformers right now. Nice guy, I asked him several questions on another forum that he was posting on.