Guardians and Renegades - Classics

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by Nerroth, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    The Homeworld War - IDW-verse Guardian and Renegade 'Classics'

Hi!

I had started up a thread a short while ago about the idea of doing a 'Classics' set of Guardian and Renegade characters from the once-rival series, and setting them on one of the Regenesis planets in the IDW TF universe. (Basically, the two factions' 'Homeworld' is a more developed equivalent of the planet seen in the Nightbeat one-shot.)

So, I was going to have a go at doing up a serial story (with each part added in as or if I have the time) which would run along these lines.

Note: The following characters use re-decoed versions of these minis in 'toy' form:

*Leader-1 (Classics Jetfire)
    *Cy-Kill (a scaled-up version of Cybertron Lugnutz)
    *Turbo (Cybertron Crosswise)
    *Crasher (Classics Mirage)
    *Scooter (Cybertron Ransack)
    *Cop-Tur (Cybertron Evac)

So, here's the first part:

EDIT: I've gone with the title The Homeworld War for the story - since the locals refer to the planet as such. And there's a war going on there.

The Homeworld War

Part 1:

The Renegade leader looked upon the drifting asteroids visible from beyond the Rogue Star's main viewer. The once-proud vessel had been reduced to such a sorry state that she was little better than the pieces of rubble floating beside her in the void. The crew were busy effecting repairs, while the odd scouting Hawk came to and from the still-functioning hangar bay.

He was disgusted that his years of planning, and the glory of the Renegade campaign to conquer the Homeworld, had been reduced to this. Once his empire controlled over half of the Homeworld, and he had personally led several expeditions to other inhabited worlds in this portion of the galaxy - worlds which had burned at his whim. He still remembered the heady days of victory over the inhabitants of Quartex, whose once-proud civilisation were now a fading memory.

But the Guardians had locked him into a bitter stalemate on the Homeworld itself, one which had stymied his long-term goal of domination. With resources running low and the conflict running into the ground for both parties, it had seemed quite the stroke of luck when an alien mechanoid made contact, wishing to aid the cause - or so it seemed.

Indeed, this alien had sent a vanguard among both factions, claiming that it was part of similar efforts across the stars, to foster amicable relations between his kind and other sentient races (Those with leaders who shared a common 'outlook', that is).

Little did he realise at that time just how insidious the alien's operatives had proved to be. When what seemed like a decisive strike on the Guardian north-west stronghold was underway, the 'allies' sent to aid the attack not only turned on the Renegade assault force - but unmasked a number of former loyalists, who had turned traitor and fired upon their former comrades!

The commander was disgusted at the thought of any of his once-loyal soldiers forsaking the Homeworld and turning themselves over to an alien - and even more repulsed by the notion that the very same alien had played him for a fool.

Now the alien's forces had a foothold on the Homeworld, and his flagship needed to hide in the outer belt to recoup its losses.

The commander activated his comm system:

'Crasher! Bring the captured traitor, and the alien's stooge, to the interrogation centre immediately. I wish to learn more of their holdings in the North-West Sector... and 'reward' them for their choice of leader.'

'With pleasure, Commander!'

The Renegade commander's eyes looked out at the void between the stars, gently nursing a new strategy in the dark recesses of his mind, and silently cursing the day that he had ever heard the name of Megatron.

But only for a moment. There was much work to be done.

Thoughts/comments/admonitions welcome... well, if you are not too brutal with the last one!

Gary

2. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    The Homeworld War

Part 2:

The Guardian commander took a moment to turn away from the holographic image of the Homeworld, which had been focussed on the new border provinces - those which were on the front lines against the Decepticon incursion.

The onset of the alien invaders had shattered the stalemate which once held sway along the Guardian-Renegade front. Now the third faction had staked a claim to Varanth, Nruil, and three other provinces in the North-West quadrant - and all three forces were regularly launching incursions and counter-incursions in the regions where the three borders met.

To Leader-1, that had meant an almost incessant jumping from battlezone to batlezone, moving in with his elite response unit to bolster defences, drive back invaders, or raid enemy logistical centres. It had also meant a careful screening of potential new recruits, in case the aliens had managed to infiltrate the Guardians to the extent they had done with the Renegades.

'Hey, Leader-1! You got us a bunch of mechs to total today?'

Stubbornly brash as ever, Turbo would gladly take on the entire Renegade and Decepticon armed forces himself given half the chance.

'Not just yet, old friend - though I wish I could share your enthusiasm!'

Turbo could tell that behind Leader-1's cheerful demeanour, that his commanding officer was troubled. They knew each other far too well not to notice.

'So, looks like you have time to tell me what's on your mind, then...'

Both Guardians walked over to a relaxatoin alcove adjacent to the command room - a holdover from their race's days as biological life forms. Leader-1 sat at the table, while Turbo called for refreshments at the dispenser.

'So tell me, what's on your mind? And it's me you're talking to, so don't bother with the usual pep talk!'

'Oh... it's, well... You know I usually try to show a good face to the troops and civilians, to keep them in high spirits - they've had enough over the course of this war to cause them grief, despair and loss without me adding to it. They need to see me as an example of how to stand up to the Renegades, and now that the war has spread to include the Decepticons, they need to know who to trust...'

'I hear you...'

'...but the more this war goes on, the more it feels that we're losing what it is that makes us Guardians, losing the ideals that stopped us from accepting Cy-Kill's tryanny in the first place. Look at the results for the recent elections! And for the ones before that, and those before that... Now no-one even tries to run against me, and as incumbent in a time of war my name is always on the ballot box.

I remember Cy-Kill once taunting me by saying that I've become what he has wanted to be all along - and how am I to answer that? How can democracy work if only one candidate ever wins - if only one person is entrusted with leadership? Sometimes I can't even remember what my name used to be, before I was given this title - before 'Leader-1' became my entire existance!'

'Am I hearing this right? You're the one in charge because you're the best mech for the job, no question! You're not usurping our freedoms - you've given more of yourself to preserve them than anyone I've ever known!'

'But that's just it - these last few months, I've been feeling more and more that I can't be that person that everyone wants - needs - me to be. I didn't ever think I'd have to question my friends, my comrades, as to whether they were on-side, or to have to hold off two implacable adversaries at the same time, or to act as a flying fire brigade when I should be governing my people!'

Turbo sat down beside his friend, and found himself in an unusual position of trying to rein in his usual forwardness.

'Look, you know it ain't easy for me to talk like this, and I don't know what it's like to have the weight of the Homeworld on my shoulders - and I sure hope I never have to! But you need to remember that you're not alone in all of this, and you don't need to try to put yourself on a pedestal for any of us. We respect you for who you are, for the courage and sacrifice you have given - and we know that means that you won't always be cheery and full of pep. We've been wondering when you were gonna realise that and save yourself the hassle!'

Leader-1 knew that it took a lot for Turbo to say that about anybody. For the first time in quite a while, Leader-1 smiled - and actually felt it.

'You can be quite the diplomat when you need to be, Turbo!'

The reverie was sharply interrupted, as a warning alert came from the command room. Both Guardians rushed into the chamber, where a message was coming through over the comm net:

'Gamma Alpha Base, this is Agent Omega, requesting immediate extraction, grid co-ordinates 35-17-213. Repeat, this is Agent Omega...'

With that, the line went dead - either from interference, or from a less favourable cause, was uncertain. Leader-1 adjusted the holo-viewer to focus on the extraction grid - behind Decepticon lines, near the triple Guardian-Renegade-Decepticon front. Mission Omega had been a risky undertaking from the start, but could not afford to fail.

'Looks like our operative needs a lift. Ready, Turbo?'

'Always!'

Leader-1 activated his wrist comm and signalled th other members of his Reponse Unit:

'Unit-R1, assemble at once at the launch bay - it's going to be a busy day!'

A chorus of ayes echoed over the comm, as the Guardian force set out for battle - on a mission which could change the course of the Homeworld War.

Gary

3. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    The Homeworld War

Part 3:

'Oh, I can't believe I let them talk me into this...'

Scooter - Agent Omega - whispered as inaudibly as he could to himself, as he tried not to imagine his fate should his efforts be noticed by the Decepticon patrols.

He had used his holo-emitter to mask his approach to the forward Decepticon outpost, and managed to impersonate a Renegade defector long enough to get past the guards, and up to a secure terminal in an out-of-the-way corner of the installation. He pressed the code-cracking module beside the interface, and waited as it attempted to infiltrate the Decepticon datanet.

Operation Omega was crucial in the uncovering of Decepticon strategic dispositions, both on the Homeworld and in other parts of the galaxy, as well as determining the level of intel the aliens had on the Guardians - as well as the names of any potential saboteurs within their ranks. Patrols of nearby systems had uncovered no evidence of Decepticon activity, which meant that they were operating from more distant parts of the galaxy - or were able to mask potential assets closer to the Homeworld. If any concerted effort to liberate the captured provinces was to take place, such information would be essential.

The module indicated its effrots to decode the local encryptions, as Scooter tried to focus on the mission and calm his nerves. He had heard terrible stories of the fate of captured prisoners in Decepticon compounds just like this one, and at times could almost make out a muffled scream...

'Access enabled - downloading data files...'

Scooter gave a sigh of relief - this part of the operation was a success. Now he had to wait for the module to finish acquiring any useful data it could - assuming that there was enough information to be found in these databanks - and get the inferno out of there and back to friendly territory.

A pair of voices could be heard from outside the small darkened room, and Scooter activated his holomask, in case the owners of those voices decided to enter.

'It's boring waiting around here, eh?'

'You're telling me - almost like we were still back in Siege Mode! Can't wait to get out there and finish off these losers...'

The sound faded away, as the two Decepticons walked back down the hallway outside the room. Scooter de-activated the holomask, to try and conserve energy as much as possible. the mask would be essential to his escape, but he could not rely on it exclusively.

The faint amber light on the module switched from amber to green, indicating that the download was complete. Scooter stashed the module and headed back out into the corridor, hoping that the routine he had implanted into the surveillance grid still worked.

He had made it as far as the guard post before an alarm klaxon sounded, and searchlights sprang ito life, hunting for an interloper. Transforming into his motorcycle mode, Scooter gunned the engine and dashed for the rendez-vous point as fast as he could, as the first shots whizzed past his holographic disguise.

It was going to be a long evening...

Gary

4. JLBarnett

JLBarnett Well-Known Member

Keep writing. This makes me eager to see the intro of the Autobots

5. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    The Homeworld War

Part 4:

Usually when a Decepticon had to fly over the same region of a world on air patrol for days and weeks on end, staring down at the same roads, buildngs and so forth day in and day out, boredom was quick to set in - even if the locale's position near the triple front kept things busy from time to time. It wasn't the level of activity that caused this - there was plenty of that, with both Guardian and Renegade incursions to fend off - it was the urge which drove the average Decepticon to conquer new horizons. It got boring simply fighting to defend a region which had already been brought to heel.

Such ideas, however, were far from Windsweeper's mind, as he followed his meticulous patrol route over the G'ton Province, ever watchful for the slightest sign of movement. For someone who had once directed sanitation and reclamation drones in city-states on old Cybertron prior to the Great War, he had a passion for maintaining order and 'cleanliness', as he put it - and since Megatron offered him a place in the Decepticon ranks, he was a keen to keep the lands and skies of his allotted corner of the Imperium spotlessly clean. If that meant annihilating any interloper causing a mess by their presence, all the better...

His wing-bot for the evening used his sharp vision to survey the ground for any signs of movement, while filling Windsweeper in on his most recent 'studies' since arriving on the Homeworld.

'So, you know we've been debating over whether the locals have something like a Spark, right?'

'Not especially...'

'Well, there's an argument among some of us in the Expedition. some of us think that there might be more of a link between them and us than we know of at present, and that they are a 'true' life-form, as we are. Not nearly on the same level as us, of course, but enough to make their use as slaves acceptable. Others in the camp believe that they are sparkless abominations - that we should round up all of the ones we find and exterminate them.'

'What of it, Wingspan?'

'Well, it would make a difference as to how we treat the conquered populace, and whether we should keep on those who have switched sides to follow our cause. If they are proper life forms, like us, we can keep the new recruits on when we target the next world for conquest, and save the hassle of mass re-colonisation to make up for the removal of the local workforce. If they aren't, we'll probably recommend that Overlord have them all exterminated, and plant full-scale Decepticon colonies as soon as is possible. We'll probably do that anyway, of course, but it would be more convenient if we can make the most ouf of what we have already here.'

'Is this discussion going anywhere, or am I going to have to file it as a case of littering the comm channel?'

Wingspan was surprised he had gotten this far with the tight-fendered mechanoid, but continued nonetheless.

'What we're planning to do is use the same kind of scanning equipment we operated during similar experiments on Cybertron to see what happens when we terminate a local or two - or in this case, one hundred. We'll even be using an even mix of test subjects from both factions for the test, to see if the results match across the political divide. I can't wait to start crunching the numbers once the results come in!'

'Fascinating, I'm sure... Hold on, I'm picking up a transmission from Outpost 5.2. Patching it through.'

Within the cockpit of Windsweeper's jet mode, the image of Wingspan's ground-based clone-brother appeared on screen.

'Sir! We've detected an intruder escaping from the facility! He used a kind of holo-emitter to mask his escape, but we think he's on a heading which should take him near to your co-ordinates.'

'Very well, Pounce. We will have to discuss the security procedures at your facility once this is over. For now, take a team out and start looking for the intruder - we'll start patrolling the area and meet you at Cobalt Point. Understood?'

'Yes sir. Tell my brother that he'll soon get another lesson in how the Puma stalks his prey! Pounce out.'

It was no secret that Pounce kept as much distance between himself and his brother as he possibly could - except when Wingspan put aside his holo-books and picked up his electro-burst rifles.

'Wingspan! Begin search pattern 322-Delta, starting at these co-ordinates: 23-17-157. Notify me of any disturbances you find.'

'Yes sir!'

The two Decepticon flyers split up, seeking to cover any possible areas in which the intruder had crossed since escaping from the compound. If Wingspan was in robot mode, he would have rubbed his hands with glee at the prospect of extracting the purpose of the intruder's 'visit' to 5.2 - willingly or otherwise. But that would have to wait.

The hunt was on.

Gary

6. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll always say: GoBots had loads of character potential that was eaten alive by Hanna Barbara writing.

Very glad to see someone working with that series. :D  Had an idea for a GoBots thing myself, but nowhere near as TF-integrating as yours. This looks way cool. Can't wait to see more crossover!

Also, kudos for the IDW crossovering, too. I adore that continuity, so it's helping pull me in. :) 

7. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    more :D  more i say :D 

youve got a great nack for dialogue and keeping the personality of these characters