Guardian and Renegade 'Classics'

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nerroth, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    Hi!

It would be fair to guess that what I am about to suggest will be tantamount to heresy for some here, but how and ever...

Since Hasbro can use the names from the 'other' 80s cartoon featuring opposing factions of transforming mechanoids, as seen in the name given to Megatron's long-suffering Mni-Con in Armada, in theory one could envision a line of remoulds or repaints based on the characters from the once-rival series.

(Perhaps this time around, their homeworld could be treated as one of the 'colony' worlds seeded with ancient Cybertronian tech, as seen in recent TF comic series.)

So, here are a few ideas I thought of for repping the more renowned characters from each:

*Leader-1 - I would have suggested Classics Starscream, as the alt mode is an F-15, but recently I found a picture of this on the web:

[​IMG]

So, perhaps Classics Jetfire could be a candidate for a repaint.

*Cy-Kill - Cybertron Lugnutz or Armada Sideways could work - but the latter would need a revised head mould, and the former is a bit on the small side. Shame the new Dirt Rocket fig is juust a Mini-Con...

*Scooter - Cybertron Ransack, or (if you want to make him really small) Energon High-wire... Naw, the second one's not much of an option!

*Crasher - Either Classics Mirage, or Cybertron Override could do the trick, with the right paint job. (Sorry Mirage!)

*Turbo - There are plenty of cars out there to choose from, but Crosswise is always a good 'bot to have an excuse to re-use (thank you Hasbro for Cybertron Smokescreen!)

*Cop-Tur - Cybertron Evac, naturally.

Any better ideas, or thoughts on different characters from the series - or have I damned myself in your eyes with these heretical words?

(I was thinking of what would happen if a diehard Transfan was whisked to an altrernate universe, where he finds what he thinks is a box for Masterpiece Starscream... and finds a Masterpiece Leader-1 instead!)

Gary

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    oh god no....please no....i dont mind the use of leader 1 for the minicon, but the rest of the names just dont do anything for me...they'er so lame and just blegh....i say no more gobots....

and if they did, the paint jobs would have to be AMAZING for me to contemplate them...and even then, i probably wouldnt get them....

i will admit i do have leader1 and cykill, but mostly because i got them in lots awhile ago...not really a big gobot fan...

3. Overlord II

Overlord II Starscreamicon Leader TFW2005 Supporter

Wait.....that is my version of Overlord!!!

[​IMG]

4. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I would love to see the Go-Bots redone in some way. Not a full deal, just like a couple of the core guys from the cartoon. Classics style. Should be in their own packaging, and have own name (Go-Bots). Mabey do it like they do SWTF, like "Transformers Go-Bots" with both series logos. They own the names, do it and sell em thru Diamond. In 2010 or whenever regular lines start again anyway.

5. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Hasbro can use Go-Bot names because hasbro officially owns the company that made Go-Bots. In fact they named their pre-school style line of Transformers Go-Bots long before using the name Leader-1 in Armada. Though I hear both were intended as sort of in-jokes among TF fans at hasbro, sort of a pot-shot at the now dead Go-Bots line.

As for making 'Classics' style versions of them, I doubt it will ever happen, but it certainly wouldn't be bad if it did. Especially if they kept the same quality and detail as their current Classics while doing the remolds. A cool toy is a cool toy regardless of it's name and who it's based on.

6. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
  7. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

I love the Go-Bots and IMO if they are ever going to revisit these guys they have to keep what made them so cool, their diminutive size. I still think the idea of transforming Hot Wheels sized vehicles is great, and Go-Bots are completely underappreciated.

8. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

I don't hate the gobots like some people... I probably had almost as many of them as a kid as I did Transformers, and I didn't make the distinction. I still appreciate them for their kitsch value, and I love those ehobby minibot repaints (that's one set I'd really like to own someday).

BUT.....

I would curse the heavens above if Hasbro devoted any of their finite resources to making new Gobots, while plenty of legitimate G1 Transformers languish un-updated.
    It would be a travesty if we missed out on a Classics Sunstreaker or Trailbreaker or Cyclonus or someone so that we could get....... Classics Hans-Cuff. :p 

9. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

The only way I would even consider buying reissued/remolded/reworked/etc. Go-Bots is if Hasbro incorporated the above idea you put forth. Otherwise, hell no!

10. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

Gobotron= That home planet the Go-Bots hail from. Creative name huh?

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I'd rather see names and color schemes used in a mainstream "kiddie" line more as homages than anything else...like what they did with the eHobby repaints.

12. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    So, what do you guys think of my fig ideas, or do you have anyhting which might work better?

Gary

13. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Personally, I actually would like to see a sub-line put forth at some point that did a small run of the core characters. Something like Tony suggested where they do it ala SWTFs... Transformers Gobots sounds pretty catchy to me. And have the line as limited as the current release of TF Classics.

As for the characters I'd like to see:

Guardians
    Voyager:
    Leader One
    Deluxes:
    Turbo
    Scooter
    Pathfinder
    Small Foot

Renegades
    Voyager:
    Cy Kill
    Zodd
    Deluxes:
    Coptor
    Crasher
    Jeeper

14. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I had that 'Leader-1' Alpha Veritech Model as a kid lol!

15. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    Maybe a DVD of the original episode could be packaged with Leader-1?

Gary

16. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I think that would be the death of the line (again) right there.

17. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't remember if I liked Go-Bots when I was a kid or not. I know I had a few of them but not as many compared to my Transformers. With that said I wouldn't mind a small set of about 8 of the main charecters being released similar to the Beast Wars 10th Anniversary.

18. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    Not necessarily - it would only be in the box with one character - and if you don't like it, don't watch it.

Maybe a short comic with a link to the IDW-verse could be included?

Also, anyone have ideas for possible faction symbols?

Gary

19. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was the series that bad? Like I said above I can't remember anything of the series other than I watched it...maybe...I think so. I think I will have to go search You Tube to see if there are any episodes on there.

20. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Yes. A thousand items Yes. It was AWFUL.

The toys were a mixed bag. Cy-Kill had a nice Mega-sized toy, and Puzzler was cool (if really fragile), but many of them were just mediocre to bad. The cars that had windshield cabins for "heads" were really strange.

Frankly, the old Go-Bots are best left in the scrap heap. I'd rather see the more recent lines (Machine Robo Rescue and Mugenbine) brought over instead. Frankly, that would work a lot better as a "Classics"-style approach. And really ... does anyone WANT to see names like "Cop-Tur" and "Scoo-tor" brought back???

-XCN-