2D Artwork: GS04: Perceptor vs Ravage

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by The Phazer, Sep 11, 2005.

1. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

Following up on my first two designs.

Just a reminder - these are attempts to create more retooled toys for Galaxy Force/Cybertron. They're being presented as more deluxe two packs (though I might do some other size classes too), and as ideas for recolours with minor retools. I've tried to present them in as realistic fashion as possible. The remolds don't break anything that can be made in two piece molds, and are kept to similar amounts of parts as those on the existing Armada retools. As with them, they're generally homage characters. They've all got force chip gimmicks. I'm sticking to the mold colour layouts (by and large - there the odd part which would have to be painted entirely, which happened on some of the existing repaints too).

I've also written some bios. Obstinately these are set in Galaxy Force's continuity rather than Cybertron's, though I don't think anything is explicitly broken so far so they don't fit into both.

Design notes for these two -

I'm not entirely happy with the white on Perceptor. What's the general consensus on it being changed back to blue? I think it looks a little busy as is, but I might leave it as is if others are happy with it.

The tech spec numbers are generally based on the G1 versions. Ravage has so many tech specs they're sort of averaged, based on what I felt was appropriate based on the bios.

I felt Animatros came across in the show as having a dark political history, and I kinda wanted to explore a bit more of it. I kinda envisage there almost being a Che Guvera type far left resistance movement against Flame Convoy, and one of the other toys I'm working on will develop that a bit. It was fun.

I know Ravage isn't that much of a repaint. But this toy is so sorely saught after, and I liked that it made it available for people in a way that kinda fits as BW Ravage if you want to use it like that, and still works in GF by itself. Maximise your audience and all that.

The 'tri-blaster' on Perceptor's chest is the repulsor used in his Force Chip powers, and the missile rack in Ravage's chest is the one on his profile.

Perceptor is deliberately smart, but a poor fighter.

I thought it was nice to link Ravage to Noizemaze, and thus consequently to Soundwave in some kinda murky way, and it works with the character great.

Ravage might well be renamed 'Battle Ravage' in the US, but I figured it wasn't worth writing here. You know who I mean.

Next will probably be Cybertron, though it might be Speedia, depending on how I feel.

[​IMG]

Phazer

2. The Phazer

The individual images -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Phazer

3. The Phazer

And these are the versions with the changes marked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thoughts, comments and crits welcome!

Phazer

4. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

Not that I know anything about the process of making convention exclusives, but these would make very good ones I think. Good job Phazer.

This is a very minor critique, but Perceptor's color scheme looks a little too busy to me. It doesn't detract from the figure though.

5. The Phazer

It would appear that as the convention remolds can't leave permanent changes to the molds (as then it wouldn't be exclusive) they just make new parts - like new heads on separate sprues, rather than retooling the original mold. That'd rule these out really.

I'm inclined to think that a little bit myself, but the feedback I've had on the Allspark suggests most people preferred it like that.

Phazer

6. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I like both of these toy ideas very much so.

7. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hey Phazer, I really dig the Ravage. The Perceptor looks nice, though I've never been a fan of the BW Prowl Owl. But I'd buy the BW Ravage in any decent color scheme, and love the idea of the Force chups deploying the guns. Have you given any thought to maybe a remolded chip so that it wouldn't be too heavy o nthe arm. PErhaps the chip looks like a cassette or something?

8. The Phazer

Well, I'd kinda intended them to be a Animatros set, so I'd probably leave the chip as is. I’d note that the chip would only be required to release the guns, and I'd added a slot to the back of his neck that would be better for storage than keeping them on the arms - where I'd agree it'd probably be a bit heavy.

Prowl's a seriously underrated little toy though. He needs more love.

Phazer

9. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    Very, very nice! Very well written profiles too. The owl mold really suits Perceptor, too. :) 

10. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ah. that's cool. I like the idea of Chip storage. Keep up the great work man. Some really good stuff.

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    They should have gotten you to design the colour schemes for Universe, d00d. Superb work.

12. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    I'll buy Perceptor without thinking twice.
    Great digibashes (?). :rock 

13. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

have to agree, these would easily sell well on the universe line

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'd buy 'em. Great job.

15. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    Non-car G1 characters can't become cars but non-beast G1 characters can become beasts, BLASPHEMY!

J/k, these digibashes you're doing are awesome awesome work. I absolutely love your GS-03 and I wouldn't mind picking up this set if it were made a reality.

16. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

I've got to say that I'm really digging Ravage, not to sure on Perceptor, but to a degree if he has to have a beast mode, then I definitely agree with the choice of an owl because nothing beats that for what suits him.

Great job! I would love to see how you handle Motormaster and the Stunticons, or better yet, a reinvisioning of the Predacons and Aerialbots!

17. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Those are pretty darn spiffy I like :thumb 

Love the colors you gave to both figures especially Perceptor, the head on Perceptor also fits him perfectly along with the marvelous color scheme you stuck on him and I agree he’s a very underrated toy and with the color scheme and force chip idea you gave him that’s awesome I would buy that.

Ravage is great too although I find the blue you used stands out to much on him, maybe a lighter blue would have worked better.

Still very cool custom’s there awesome stuff :thumb 

18. FeralDruid70

FeralDruid70 New Member

World of Warcraft copycats

Warcraft totally ganked these ideas from these two transformers. Druids have catform which looks just like ravage and they are both for stealth. now druids have flight form and its an owl. thats bs thank you that is all

19. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

those are so sweet

20. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    dam

this is a big zombie :p