Grumpy old G1 fan reads IDW - in order!

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Ryan F, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Digilaut

Digilaut I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!

News Credits:
    Issue #6 is probably my favorite MTMTE season 1 issue. Glad you liked it too!

• Like Like x 1
  2. DaftRaider

DaftRaider Sir Not-a-Decepticon

Isn't she only dead in the original timeline? Time is pretty malleable in those movies, so as soon as Doc was struck by lightning and sent back to 1885, time would've changed to show the new sequence of events.

The mayor tasked Doc with picking Clara up from the station, they fell in love, then he was shot. Clayton ravine remains as Shonash ravine.

THEN Marty went back, changing the sequence again. This time, Doc was distracted by trying to figure out how to get Marty back to 1985, forgot to pick up Clara, then she almost died, like the original timeline. Clayton ravine becomes Eastwood Ravine in 1985.

The fluidity of time in BTTF is confusing, but the first movie shows it pretty well, by how different Marty's 1985 life is before and after his trip to 1955, and even in BTTF3 itself with the photo of the tombstone changing as events unfold.

Therefore, Clara can indeed be the one who dedicated Doc's tombstone. It probably wasn't even there until the DeLorean was struck by lightning, then it appeared to match the new sequence.

Anyway... back on topic :D 

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Farmio

Farmio Active Member

News Credits:
    Hello,

Im going to be starting my own IDW journey. I've just bought the humble bundle that's out at the moment, just for the TF stuff. I will be buying other comics that isn't included.

Is the order in post #1 what you recommend? Is there anything you would have added or done in a different order?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No, forget the order I'm doing this in!!!

I believe there's a pinned thread at the top of the comics forum where the subject of best reading order is discussed.

5. Farmio

Farmio Active Member

News Credits:
    how come you dont recommend me follow your order? I have the collections as you do and was planning on reading through them in order.

6. Ryan F

News Credits:
    The earliest hardback presents the stories in the order of when they were set, so although Infiltration #0 is the introductory issue, the first comic in the collection is Megatron: Origins, which was printed a year or so later, but set earlier.

Plus you get things like Spotlight Blurr really early, which although set in the past, is probably better read near All Hail Megatron, which it kinda ties in with.

Honestly, your best bet is to read everything in publication order.

7. Farmio

Farmio Active Member

News Credits:
    Ok, I will take your advice

Thankyou for explaining it. Ive been wanting to read the comics, but have been put off by the volume of work, differing orders and crossovers. When I saw the collections and the foreword said it was IDW's suggested order, I thought it would be the best way to get into it.

8. The Wadapan

The Wadapan Active Member

Respectfully, I'm gonna have to disagree with Ryan on this one. I gave someone over on the UK Sightings thread a complete breakdown of what's included in the bundle, and that's pretty much the way to go.

The Humble Bundle's included comics are the IDW Collections themselves. Ryan's right in that they're not really the 'perfect' reading order, but they're generally pretty good. Moving stuff around and skipping between the files is far more trouble than it's worth, because the only real problem with issue placement is in the Spotlight issues (which are relatively standalone anyway).

Things get worse in Phase 2, with the Autocracy/Monstrosity/Primacy trilogy and the Dark Prelude Spotlights being included almost at random, with rather arbitrary jumps between MTMTE and RiD. The trilogy should really be read all in one go whenever, and the Dark Prelude Spotlights should be read in order prior to Dark Cybertron, which isn't included in the Bundle.

IDW chronology isn't that confusing once you get into it, but I've probably spent a couple of hours all told trying to work it all out myself when I started reading. Just don't bother - the IDW Collection reading order is fine.

(I personally think starting with Megatron Origin works, because while starting with Infiltration would have a different effect there isn't really any other place in the collection to include it.)

• Like Like x 1
  9. kgorman79

kgorman79 Trapped In Polyhex

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Another great review! Glad you enjoyed this one, it's a fine issue.

Great meeting you at TFN :)  Hopefully next time i'll get more of a chance to sit down and have a proper chat. Seemed like there was so many people to chat too and i got nowhere near meeting up with everyone i wanted. What a weekend though, it was an absolute blast from start to finish!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Hmm, I never caught that but my thinking is simpler:

Doc saved Clara from the runaway train, they have a whirlwind courtship, Doc gets gunned down by Tannen, after years of remaining unmarried (or not?) Clara never finds another man as intriguing as Doc and commits suicide by throwing herself into the ravine. (Did they specifically say it was a train crash? I thought the line was "old spinster school teacher died in that ravine")

BTW: is Interiors the issue where Whirl laments the loss of his hands? Such a key scene for me but I forget the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Unless you're reading books 4 & 5 of A Song of Ice & Fire on your eReader, and then it's necessary because who would go that long without Tyrion, srsly?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ryan F

News Credits:
    Yeah, likewise! And cheers for the free postcards, much appreciated! And, as I said, if ever you decide to mass-produce that book of yours, count me in for a copy!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ryan F

News Credits:
    More Than Meets The Eye #7: Rules of Disengagement

After the momentous events of issue #6, this feels like a bit of a comedown, in that roughly 80% of the comic focuses on introducing two new sets of Decepticons into the mix, as we largely move away from the storylines aboard the Lost Light. As such, this feels like an interlude episode, a bit of a sidetrack, when personally I’d much prefer to be concentrating on the ‘main’ story.

As always, however, we can go back to the old G1 comic and find a precedent, and we need look no further than one of the franchise’s magnum opuses, Target: 2006. Part three of that story featured a shocking twist ending (Ironhide frees Megatron from the rubble), only for part four to be set completely on Cybertron, away from the main action. It may seem silly in retrospect (considering how popular the Wreckers became), but as a kid I can remember really hating Target: 2006 part four, just because it digressed from what was happening with Megatron back on Earth.

But of course, that’s deliberate – get people on tenterhooks, and then throw them a curveball. By not addressing the cliffhanger immediately, you give it more impact, you add to the suspense. Whilst I’m sitting here wondering what’s going to happen with Overlord, the scene instead switches to the Scavengers and the DJD.

The introductions are… okay. Roughly a dozen new characters enter the scene in a single issue, and every single one of them has a unique voice and personality. It’s a remarkable achievement that all these characters can feel so individual and familiar after just a few pages. On the negative side, there’s a bit of obvious fudging going on: Misfire’s infodump introductions are a massive shortcut, and the Scavengers are like the Seven Dwarfs or the Mr. Men, in that – rather than having personalities per se – each seems to have just a single defining character trait (the grouch, the wise-ass, the numbskull etc.).

Another gripe I have is with the cliffhanger. For the second issue in a row, we end with a dramatic reveal of a single character. If you remember some of my earlier reviews of the Furman era, I used to bemoan the fact that a lot of his cliffhangers followed a similar pattern: Optimus Prime shows up, Sixshot shows up, Megatron shows up. Used once or twice for good effect is fine, but I hope we don’t get stuck into a pattern of ending issues with Shock Character Reveal. Besides which, IDW Grimlock is such an annoying boor that I can’t really get as excited about his return as I was for the return of Overlord. Maybe Roberts will write him better?

Oh, and Rung isn’t dead. At the moment this feels like a massive cop-out, but I’m open-minded enough that Roberts might be able to convince me otherwise. Rung had a really great death, and I’ve been burnt before by Transformers coming back to life unnecessarily and undermining great death scenes (cough Scorponok cough Regeneration One). Would Scrounge have been such a well-remembered character had he come back to life in the G1 comics? Probably not.

Despite the gripes, though, this was a relatively fun and breezy read. There were a lot of funny lines, and enough intriguing set-up (what’s up with Skid’s gun? Who stole the chip from Rung’s body? Who are the DJD after?) to keep my interest. However, it does feel a lot flimsier and more inconsequential than previous comics in the series.

3/5.

• Like Like x 8
  14. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Well you'll find out more about Grimlock's current situation next issue, right away.

You didn't give much thought on the DJD, what do you think of them so far?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ryan F

News Credits:
    Um, a bit like Batman villains, I suppose, in that they all have an evil gimmick. Melt-Chamber Man, Grindy-Guy, Mr. Electric-Chair and so forth. They seem a bit too cute and arch to take seriously at the moment.

Okay, so they kill Blackshadow, but that whole torture scene was written so tongue-in-cheek, so jokey, that if any gravitas was intended, I didn't really feel it. I dunno if any Bond fans read this, but I got a Mr Wint and Mr Kidd sort of vibe from them.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I never got that sense from them.

We get a better look at them later. So they might not seem totally one dimensional to you by then. But only if you think so.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Yeah. It was always quite funny how fans were looking for depth in the DJD even if obviously it was not there. They were exactly this - archetypical villains of the season.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

The DJD might show hints of depth, but it never comes to fruit. Save yourself the trouble and don't get too hyped whenever the DJD appears. Remember Turmoil? Yeah, imagine a whole TEAM of him.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Well, to be honest...

DJD were better than Turmoil. Each of them had a distinct gimmick both in terms of look and personality.

Turmoil was as generic as it gets on pretty much every level.

• Like Like x 5
  20. gregles

gregles quintesson

But the DJD have a very specific role to play within the Decepticon hierarchy that actually makes sense to exist as the Decepticons are famous for their treachery and power and it aligns neatly with Megatron seeing his army as an expendable means to an ends.

The motivation and personality behind the DJD already at this stage have been pretty well explained. The likes of Turmoil, Bludgeon and the fallen on the other hand just say cliched ominous sounding things being such bland badass fan favourites, right?

Ryan I think you being understandably let down but still open minded with the Rung thing in your outlook will richly reward eventually as in my opinion it works out pretty well in the long run

I could understand you being disappointed with the Grimlock thing as its very easy to be fatigued with that character considering he is considered a fan favourite and how much furman has overused him as Optimus primes bit of rough. On the Grimlock thing maybe have a little reflect on how he could have got on such a strange ship as if you have a think about some aspects of this story it really does create some fascinating mysteries and questions.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 2