growth hormones????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StefanXPrime, Oct 9, 2007.

1. StefanXPrime

StefanXPrime Hater of all things G1

ok i'm 16 and im 5'1" and i look like i should be in the 8th grade. So ive decided to find out if im still elligable for growth hormones because its startin to piss me off. My mom wanted me to take them when i was young but i was scared of needles so i said no. Im gonna get checked out to see if i can still take them if I can im gonna so does anyone know any side effects they can have?

2. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't know, but I say go for it, if it is safe and effective. Personally, I don't care what people think, but I am a bit taller than you (six feet). You should do what makes you happy/feel better, and secure. I lost about 80 lbs three years ago, and it did wonders for my self esteem. I personally believe we have been given technology, and if it is for good reasons, then go for it. Don't let anyone tell you what to do that stefan.

How much taller is it possible to get taking those things?

3. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Accept the hand that genetics have dealt you.

4. StefanXPrime

depends but usually 1-2 inches but they also help speed up the process because im not done growing but im growing at such a slow rate that its unbearable

genetics is a whore in my case, my parents both look young so i look young, prolly help later on in life but right now it sucks

5. Jeremy.B

News Credits:

That's true. I forgot you said you were 16.. Yeah man, go for it. As long as it is safe - don't harm yourself. But you grow until you are 21 or 22, so you may end up pretty tall anyway.

6. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've used growth enhancers before. If you want to hear about the results go talk to Mr. Jiggles' mother.

7. StefanXPrime

yea just to give you guys a viual here is my homecoming pic from two weeks ago, im the one all the way on the right [​IMG] im leaning on the car so im not as short as i look in the pic, but do i honestly look like a junior in highschool to you?

8. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Looks like you just have that baby face. :thumb  but I bet the chicks dig it! I was like that in high school. When I went back for my reunion I had grown about 5 inches since graduation and looked much older, even though I still have a babyface (which I am grateful for now that I am older). I really think you look normal, but I can see where you are coming from. Do what you feel is right, just be careful bro.

9. StefanXPrime

alright thanks, yeah the face is good when the girl knows im not like 14 lol

10. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Dude you look like Juan Pierre.

11. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Ha Ha well you got the pose down! I remember in high school graduation pics (95) they made me pose with a cane and do a pose similar to the one you are in. At the time, I was about 5'7" and about 250, white guy with blonde hair. Looked dumb on me :lol  but you manage to pull it off... :thumb 

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

From a medical standpoint, the treatment is:

1) Expensive
    2) Painful, d/t often daily injections
    3) Arguably dubious results, especially when begun this late in life, especially if you're not actually GH-deficient instead of...well, just short and maturing sorta slowly.
    4) I don't have access to my school's research resources at the moment, but I'm not aware of any long-term research regarding the potential downsides of GH therapy. Definitely need to talk with a pediatric endocrinologist before beginning a course of therapy.

On the upside, hard to argue against the benefits of being at least average size. I'm 6'2", and I'd gotta be honest, it kicks ass. Feel like I've read stuff in Newsweek about taller folks making more money and being more successful, but that coulda just been soft science.

In the end, my advice to a patient asking me this question would to consult a pediatric endocrinologist, then get a second opinion from another one. Take what they tell, do some soul searching, talk to your parents and a friend or two you know will be honest, and make a final decision. Then be prepared to revisit whatever decision you make, but at a certain point, commit to it and avoid any future second-guessing of yourself.

13. Jux

You look like what SSJ Rodimus probably looked like when he was 16.

And trust me, that dude is cool as fuck now, so you're on the right track.

14. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Um, yeah, what SC said...

Hey SC, are you in med school? I think I read somewhere you were a medic in the army...

15. Jux

It makes sense. Taller people often appear more confident, more sure of themselves. If you're an employer looking to hire someone new or promote someone, do you want someone who's had little man syndrome his whole life, or someone who people (pun intended) look up to?

If you ask me, it's all about how you handle yourself. I've known a guy who maxed out at 5'2" and he was the cockiest bastard I've ever met. Hell of a ladies man though.

16. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Dude, at least wait until you're "done" growing from an average view point (i.e. 20-ish?). Us guys are known to keep growing well past 20, you just might be taking a little while to y'know, kick in.
    If anything I'd go to the doctor and get your hormone levels tested before anything else, they'll probably be able to tell you something one way or the other.
    DN

17. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    If it makes boobs bigger, then go for it

18. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Part of that comes from being bred into us that tall people are more powerful. Think about it, as a child your parents are bigger than you and have total control. Its something that sticks around.

I'm 6' 7" and would do much worse in a fight than a shorter person (in fact, when I kick boxed, my 5' 4" instructor could always kick the crap out of me). Doesn't change the fact that people perceive me as being more powerful.

You're 16, you probably have a good 5 years left of growing to do. I grew another inch or so when I was in college. If you are shorter than average, you'll still be ok. Just don't be that short guy that goes after tall women, I never understand that one.

19. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

When did Webster start posting on the boards?! Why doesn't anyone tell me this stuff?! Just kidding ;) 

My brother in law took something like that in high school. He was pretty short and pudgy. Now he's almost as big as me, and I'm a pretty big guy.

20. StefanXPrime

yea im definately gonna talk to my doc about it but the thing is i havent had a regular check up in years, but from what i can remember when i did get check ups my doctor said i was right on the growth arc chart, then i started droppin below it each time more and more so now i need to go to the doctor see if my hormone levels are low or what...