Grindhouse might be the coolest movie ever... Now with trailer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr. Jiggles, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I'm not really sure why people are surprised that Grindhouse came in at #4 last weekend. They released a 3.5 hour horror film on Easter weekend - I don't know who made that decision, but good job, dumbass! Poor scheduling aside, it's a release that only appeals to a niche market, most of whom have no idea what the Grindhouse concept is really all about.

I saw Grindhouse in a theater that serves food and drink (kind of like at a drive in except with fewer cars) and I think the double feature format fit that setting perfectly. In fact, they do it all the time! I'm not sure it works in your standard 10 theater cineplex. There's a reason the format died out in the 70s.

2. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was expecting this for the dvd (hoping for branching for the missing reels). Releasing the films seprately takes away from the overall experience of "Grindhouse". Given that I would see them individualy anyway.

Hoping for a "Grindhouse" double feature dvd.

3. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, releasing these films in May and June will garner a huge audience for them. They'll only be competing against Spidey, Shrek, 28 Weeks Later, and Pirates. They'll easily make back their hundred million that way.

I'm thinking of adding my own scracthes to the Grindhouse print, and intentionally having it be out of frame for a bit. It'd be artistic.

-Tony!

4. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    best. cover. ever.

[​IMG]

5. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sorry to revive but I finally saw and loved it, as you can see by my new sig/avatar. Only thing that bothered me was the part with the dog...if you've seen it you know what I mean, that was so damn unnecessary.

6. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Sorry to bump an old thread, but just saw it last night and I was BLOWN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an awesome movie(s). It was the BEST B-movie(s) I saw in years. Grindhouse FTW!

7. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

My threads aren't old, they are retro.

8. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Like your FACE! Ohhhhh

9. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You have a problem with what happens to the dog? What about the kid? For the record I LOLed at both.

10. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

Same here. I'm a sick bastard. I was pretty much laughing the whole time for Planet Terror. It was awesome.

11. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Same here. When I saw it last night, people cheered and clapped at the end of it. Something I haven't seen in years in a movie theater.

12. Ktulu

News Credits:
    The dog thing just seemed so unnecessary, gave no real emotional value (just JT cursing) like the kid did. It was just for the sake of shock value, and at that point the film was already so fucked up that I don't see what a dog being splattered on the road really added.

I still loved it, don't get me wrong, but I felt that part was kind of in poor taste. I know though, a lot of other people would say every minute of the damn thing was 'poor taste', so you know, I don't mean to really bitch about it. I know it's just fantasy and Rodriguez does not condone running over dogs or anything like that.

13. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I say if you are going to go for it as hard as they did then you go all the way and you splat the hell out of that dog. Hell I might have tosses a couple more dogs in and made a running gag out of it.

14. Ktulu

News Credits:
    My problem was killing the dog that way at all, not just showing it splatter, it served no purpose other than "oh look at this happening"

15. planetjacker

News Credits:
    I felt that was the point of the whole thing. The films Grindhouse pays homage to didn't have big name actors/directors/or budgets they drew an audiance by the over the top content.

After cringing at the death of the dog I thought "cool they never kill animals anymore".

16. Ktulu

News Credits:
    I understand the point completely, and I never meant to make a big deal of it, I just feel there was so much nutty shit in there already, "over the top" had already been accomplished quite well, to the point that they really didn't need that. It served no purpose at all other than "hey, this dog dies horribly, lol!" in my eyes, and I just didn't like it.

Loved every second of every other part though.

17. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    I don't remember the dog!

I do remember everyone in the theater cringing and "eeugh"-ing at the biker crash in Death Proof, though. Which is good. That was a brutal friggin' crash.

18. planetjacker

News Credits:
    That's cool. I was throwing that out there since I hadn't seen it mention in any of the dog replys.

I did the same on that scene. Brutal inded.

19. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Planet Terror = fun, Death Proof = zzzzzzzz And that's all I have to say about that. Wake me when Tarantino is done indulging himself.

20. Ktulu

News Credits:
    Tarantino has always had a dialogue heavy style. I thought the dialogue in Death Proof was interesting enough, and the bits of action he did throw in were incredible. I loved what he did with the first big car crash