Grindhouse might be the coolest movie ever... Now with trailer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr. Jiggles, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

The last double feature I saw was Snow White and Tron in '83.

2. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Going sunday afternoon, and I can't wait.

3. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Gonna see it next week. Hopefully on Friday 13th. can't wait - this double feature is gonna rock :rock 

4. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Just got back from seeing this at the Alamo Drafthouse - a hybrid theater/restaurant that specializes in these kinds of exploitation films, in case you don't know.

Anyway, Rodriguez' Planet Terror was WAY better than Tarantino's Death Proof. As usual with a Tarantino film, there were two things - bare feet and A LOT of talking. I mean the characters just wouldn't shut up. The car chasing was really good and I especially liked the abrupt end.

But Planet Terror was so much more enjoyable. The "Missing Reel" slides were hilarious and well placed. Well placed, meaning they replaced the scenes that we all really wanted to see. I just wish I knew how Cherry was able to shoot the gun. I guess she flexed her quad. Flex once for bullets, flex twice for grenade launcher? I can buy into zombies, but that kind of took me out of the film. Still, it was awesome!

I also really enjoyed the intermission trailers. Thanksgiving was AWESOME.

Lots of Austin landmarks, especially in Death Proof, so all you Austinites keep your eyes open.

5. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

I hope to see this tomorrow.

6. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:
    Tarantino is a f'ing joke. I hope he gets raped twice.

7. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Wow. wishing rape on someone. Real Mature.

Anyways. saw it. loved both films the first one was better though.

8. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

You're just mad cuz he wouldn't let you cameo in Pulp Fiction and he stole your dog.

9. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why, because he made some movies you didn't like? Oh noes!
    While I freely admit that I hate Tarantino's work and think it's unwatchable crap, I have nothing against the guy personally and wouldn't wish any harm on him.

As mentioned, I dislike Tarantino's stuff, so I'd be skipping this anyway but everything I've seen in the trailers (on TV, mostly) just hasn't convinced me that there'd be anything worth seeing in Grindhouse. It looks like an incoherent mess with a bunch of 'cool' ideas strung together in place of a plot and characterization; particularly Planet Terror, but I'm sure Tarantino's segment is no better given his record. This user on Rottentomatoes, who saw the movie, sums up (and confirms) my impressions of Grindhouse far more eloquently than I could.

10. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

Overall I did like Death Proof, but I probably would have liked it a bit more if they developed Kurt Russell more than developing the girls. Even after all the time spent on them I didn't care about them at all and was rooting for Kurt the whole way. I liked Planet Terror a lot though. I liked the story and it reminded me of something I would have in a dream. Pretty much everything about it reaked of awesomeness to me. The characters, the mannerisms, the editing, everything.

11. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know Devin? I know Devin. And Devin knows me. Then again, Devin seems to know quite a bit about lots of things.

12. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Saw it this morning. It was ok I guess. Few moments here and there in each one that I liked. And I liked the sudden end to Death Proof as well. I think the best parts were the trailers, especially Thanksgiving.

13. Mr. Jiggles

Planet Terror was kinda cool. I didn't like some the design choices, especially on the infected/zombie types. Great cast, tho. Michael Biehn FTW. And Josh Brolin was great. The scene with the caravan running all over everything was funny as hell. I'd give it about a 7 out of 10.

Death Proof started off great, then ground to a halt with the standard 'Tarantino 360 around the table/people talking about random bullshit' move. He screwed his own movie. The pacing suffered horribly afterward. And the abrupt ending sucked, too. It sucked in 'The Hills Have Eyes' and it sucked here, too. 4 out of 10 IMHO.

The trailers were cool. I thought Machete was kinda dumb, esp. condsidering all the hype it garnered. But, it did have Cheech.

'Werewolf Women of the SS' was cool and way over-the-top in a good way. Except for Udo Kier. I hate that guy. Cage as Fu Manchu was funny.

'Don't' by Edgar Wright was a great homage to the Brit supernatural thrillers of the 60's and 70's. Probably a little esoteric for American audiences, but gave me total flashbacks of Hell House.

And the most pleasant surprise was Eli Roth's 'Thanksgiving'. Now here's a guy who really got the concept of the project. And the ending... boy was that f'd up.

14. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    THAT WAS THE GREATEST MOVIE SINCE THE LAST TIME I SAW A GREAT MOVIE> seriously though i didnt stop laughing through the whole thing

15. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    quoted for the sake of quoting. we need more biehn mentions.

16. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

Micheal Beihn ruled in Grindhouse. I loved his character in "Planet Terror". Too hardcore to die.

I like to think that I saw Grinhouse in the best way possible...while drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon, at a drive-in theater. Glorious and magnificent. A friend and I went, and neither of us could get smiles off our faces. After three and a half hours of constant smiling, that hurts...

Downside, I missed the Machete preview. Upside...everything else.

After seeing the "Thanksgiving" preview...I will never, ever, ever see a trampoline the same way again.

"Don't" was extremely cool, too. I loved it's over the top self-parody (the same could be said of the entire movie, but still...).

I am totally willing to invest another seven dollars and three and a half hours of my life tomorrow to see this movie again.

Also...Kurt Russell for President.

Mr. Jiggles mentioned "The Hills Have Eyes", and I have to say, though I enjoyed that movie (it was no Dawn of the Dead 2004, but as a remake it did okay), I agree on the ending. I liked the abrupt ending of "Death Proof", though...the fact that the movie spent so much time getting to it's primary story, and then cut off so abrubptyl was an interesting stylistic choice to make. I think it suited the style of the kind of movie he was homage-ing.

My mantra for Grindhouse..."Thank you, movie, for existing."

17. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Why did it take 3.5 hrs of your time? It took less than 3 hours of mine.

18. Mr. Jiggles

I was talking about the ending of the original THHE.

19. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Saw it this weekend. I actually think I liked Death Proof a little bit better than Planet Terror, but overall it was just a fun movie going experience. I really enjoyed the whole thing. They did a good job of making it feel like an older B movie experience.

Don't really know how well this will all translate to DVD, but it was a good time in the theater, wish I would have went with a bigger group of people.

20. Mr. Jiggles

Too bad it bombed...