3D Artwork: Grimlock WIP

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Ravenxl7, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Hey all. This is actually the second bot I've made in 3dsMax, though will probably be the first one I finish. I never did get around to finishing the Prime I started last year, and the files have since been lost, so I would have to start him over again if I wanted to complete him. I'm taking a 3D Graphics modeling class this semester, so I'll have plenty of opportunities to work on Grimlock, and at some point start up a Soundwave. Not that much done so far, just some parts of his chest/torso. I'll update the pictures when I get some more work done on him. The first picture there is the one I'm using as a reference (though I'm going to be adding in some of my own touches). The colors on him atm are just there to replace the crazy colors the program gives the shapes when you first make them, and to give a general feel of what he'll look like. I'll go back in and replace all the colors with better looking ones once I finish modeling him. I currently have no plans on making him actually transformable, as I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that just yet. I will give it a shot once I have his bot-mode done, but can't promise anything. I do know I won't be making any videos with him any time soon. I think it's going really well so far. Thanks for any and all comments.

Attached Files:

2. Pepsiman98

Pepsiman98 Consulting Criminal

is that an easy program to use? awsome work by the way!

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks. Eh, I wouldn't exactly call it an "easy" program to use, as it took me a while to understand how to use it, but once you get used to the layout and the controls, it is actually pretty easy to use. But it isn't cheap, which is why I'll be doing all my work on this, and Soundwave once I start him, at school.

4. Pepsiman98

ive got doga-L3. can i get good textures off that?

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I honestly have no idea, as I've never heard of that, let alone work with it. The only 3d graphics program I've ever used is 3dsMax.

6. Pepsiman98

its ok. i got used to it over night and im fine with it now. working on a transforming optimus or bumblebee(maybe cliffjumper!) cant wait to see soundwave!

7. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    if you want a decent totally free 3d modeller get blender, it's just as horrendously complicated and difficult to use as any other decent one, but because it is free and open source there are about a million tutorials on every aspect of it, loads of video walkthroughs on youtube.

you can get it from here:

blender.org - Home

and here are a couple of renders done in it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Raven, your work looks like it's going to be killer when you finish it!

kjeevahh, thanks for the additional resource link! :thumb 

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks :D , and thanks to you kjeevahh for the link too. I've been thinking about getting blender for my home computer. My teacher for my 3d Modeling class is actually a big supporter of the program. Probably one of the best things about it, is that you can apparently take something that you've started in 3dsMax, open it in blender to work on it some more, and then be able to open it up again in 3dsMax and continue to work on it (just remembered he told us about this). Which means I should be able to continue to work on him from my home computer. If I download blender today, I might be able to get some more WIP renders posted sometime later tonight.

10. Pepsiman98

i tried blender once. it takes a LOOOOOOOO(3 hours later)OOOOOOOOOONG time to download

11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Eh, the wait will be worth it. Will probably download it tomorrow, or Monday, so I might have a new render or two before Tuesday. If not I'll more than likely have something up Tuesday, as I'll have time between two of my classes to do a little more work on him.

12. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    that isn't true, even 10 years ago with a 56k dial-up modem it would only have taken less than 1 hour to download, it is a really really tiny piece of software, only 9mb

13. Pepsiman98

it must have seemed long to me then. my pc was real slow when i downloaded.

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Update: Got some more work on him done earlier today. Not much, but I was able to get some more parts worked in, and did some more work on the other parts. Here are four new WIP pictures of what I've been able to do so far. Might start working on Soundwave here in the near future.

Attached Files:

15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Update: Here's some more WIP shots. Did some more work this past Friday, but didn't really get a chance to put them up till today (that and I wanted to wait for some of the excitement over the new movie toy leaks to wear off a little). I've got most of the torso done now, just a couple more pieces to it before I start the waist. Any comments?

Attached Files:

16. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Your Grimlock model is shaping up really nicely. :thumb 

17. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Update: Not much added, but I figured I would take some new WIP renders at some different angles. Don't have any lights in there yet, so some shapes don't show up at certain angles (only seems to be an issue with the side view). Been working on our first big project, so I've been putting most of my effort into that. The last render there is what I'm working on, and the picture right before that is my reference image. Thanks for looking and for the comments. I plan on downloading blender sometime this weekend, so I should be able to get some more work on him in the near future.

Attached Files:

19. Trypitcon

Trypitcon No, I can't spell.

Can't wait to see it finished!

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks :D  Actually didn't get a chance to work on him since my last update. I've been concentrating on my project for class (it is one of three major projects we're doing for this semester). I also still need to download blender, lol, though I'm planning on doing that tomorrow.