3D Artwork: Grimlock -non traditional

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by The Madness, Jul 28, 2009.

1. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

Yay! Bay's favorite!

[​IMG]

Admittedly I got carried away with my concept; it became a kind of self-indulgent feasibility project for me. The concept is pretty straight forward: in my mind Grimlock would have to undergo changes in order to appeal to the movie continuity.

My apologies to Grimlock fans expecting an android robot mode. The character has enjoyed most of its development over the years as a G1 comic character, traditionally portrayed in robot mode more often than Dino-mode. Personally I find a Dinobot without a Dino-mode to be a complete failure, and have not favored the Alternator or WW concepts, regardless of their talented execution. Therefore, to me, any compromise, would have to be endured by the robot mode.

We’ve all heard the arguments for and against Dinobots so I’ll spare you the re-tread of familiar ground. Instead I’d best address the new alt-mode; A Peterbilt Wrecker truck, or heavy-duty tow truck. A popular suggestion for an updated alt-mode has often been a military tank (ala WW, & DW Gi-joe cross). However, in light of enquiries with Roberto Orci on matters of overlying themes in the films it was clear of his intention to purposefully associate Autobots with commercial and consumer vehicles rather than military hardware.
    Personally, I thought the truck appropriate due to its reflection of Optimus Prime. Using the same yard-stick it indicates Grimlock to be the proportionately stronger of the two, yet otherwise closely matched to Prime in all other, save intellectual maturity. A concept that has been pretty consistent in the mythos.

[​IMG]

Fiction: (as its pretty much expected)
    Rumoured to be the creation of the Allspark, and derived from Megatron himself, the “Dinobots”, as they have been affectionately been dubbed due to their monstrous appearance, have lain dormant and un-powered on the streets of Mission City.
    Awakend by discharged Energon during a Decepticon attack on an accosted Bumblebee, The five savage beasts were unleashed on the attackers.

Single minded, and unrelenting, Grimlock’s only objective is to destroy his principal forbearer Megatron (A kind of Oedipus complex, yet fortunately without a mother!).
    Megatron is considered by the Dinobots as the most Powerful Being in existence.
    Though overtly aggressive and instinctive, the Dinobots display evidence of strategic analysis, and trap setting.

This can often place the greater human population at risk, as Grimlock will sometimes refuse to even acknowledge their presence. This actuality gives greater concern to Optimus Prime then even the Decepticons themselves.

[​IMG]

While always ambiguous when addressing animal forms, Roberto also indirectly implied a kind of ‘intelligent design’ concept to Transformer form. My workaround, however, involves the Allspark’s tendency to create savage, demonic, and twisted offspring that are often more varied in form.
    I add to this with the concept that a larger, more complex vessel brings greater stability. (ie Nokia bot= hyper, Large bot= aggro, Metroplex size=dosile)

The justification as to why the Dinos have gone unnoticed is explained, or excused, by the limited energy of the Allspark at the time of the Mission City standoff. Enough to create large and small Transformers, but not enough to power the larger, more complex beings from status-lock. The Dinos are later awakened in a Decepticon skirmish that results in Energon contamination.

While A transformation process has been worked out, due to time limits it has been simplified and cheated though.
    I wasn’t actually going to bother with textures, but since so many beautiful entries have had excellent presentation, I figured I should make some effort.
    All in all I enjoyed this experiment, even after a late start.
    I've included early colored composites, even though they're redundant after using textures

Talk about tl;dr...I wouldn't even read that!

Attached Files:

2. ian2800

ian2800 Well-Known Member

I concede! That is so many kinds of awesome! Very well done my friend.

3. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Truckasaurus!

My daily Simpsons reference aside, I really enjoyed reading your though process too. It's very cool, and I'd love to see you expand this to a triple changer, or explore how you would make him talk in T-rex mode.

4. MunseMan

MunseMan Chuck Testa

News Credits:
    epic

5. red4

red4 Banned

Once again, Michael Bay is an idiot.

6. hotrodreeves

hotrodreeves Well-Known Member

Hell, you got my vote!!!!

7. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Now this is just intense! Hopefully Bay will have second thoughts about the Dinobots; he may hate them but this is just fantastic; if a mechanical scorpion, jaquar, insect, etc. can make the cut into the movies...why not an awesome giant dinosaur? :D 

8. Wave1

Wave1 Well-Known Member

I like your take on Grimlock, vary nice job man. He was always more dino than bot anyway lol

9. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Michael Bay would love Dinobots if they all looked like this. I hope you're the next Josh Nizzi.

10. Triceradon

Triceradon In it for the rage

I was wondering when someone would do something like this. I like it!!

11. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Somebody kitbash this!!!!!!

NOW!!!!!

12. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Before this, I would have said NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! But looking at your design and you clearly put some thought into this I now say YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! Very nice.

13. Shinobi Rendar

Shinobi Rendar Artobot

News Credits:
    Man totally digging your design. This is definitely a way I would see Grimlock working in the live action films. Awesome Job!

14. Roadtrack

Roadtrack Well-Known Member

Amazing job. He really sems to fit into the Bayformers movieverse.:thumbs2: :thumbs2: 

15. mogel94

mogel94 Well-Known Member

nice ideas

16. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I'd buy a toy of that. :cool: 

17. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :jawdropper: 

18. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    That's pretty badass.
    I would not have thought of it that way.

19. The Madness

Thanks for all your supportive comments guys.
    Thanks especially to those who were brave enough to read the huge block of rambling text too :D 
    As a concept, I figured this design is bound not to agree with everyone, but I had to throw it out there anyway.
    I guess because it is more slavish to the Dinobots as a group, rather than Grim's individuality.

20. The Madness

I'm sure I can make a nice helicopter mode for him :D  J/k

Any speech functionality would have to be hardwired into what would be considered the equivalent to a Cybertonian wild animal. It would take a slightly mad Autobot genius to have developed this kind of technology. And even then he probably would have only invested in such an idea if there had been an existing need to give a voice to a Cybertronian without one.

Think of it like the baby translator developed by Homer's brother Herb, but welded on.