Grimlock like Rodimus more them Optimus?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by MaxLinden, May 30, 2010.

1. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    Grimlock like Rodimus more them Optimus?
    It just seems that way.
    When Optimus died, he didn't care but when Rodimus almost died, Grimlock cried.

2. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Grimlock wasn't there when Prime died. He might have cried off-camera.

Also during Prime's time S1-2, Grimlock wasn't the comic relief he was in S3 & the movie.

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Pretty much what Macross7 said.

Though, I can probably understand if Grimlock managed to get along with Hot Rod before he became Rodimus Prime, and maybe that could explain why he seems to like him?

4. Prime_Directive

Prime_Directive less than meets the eye

News Credits:
    This.

5. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't know why Grimlock would like Roddie better than Optimus. Optimus Prime and Wheeljack always treated the Dinobots with respect and therefore got the best out of them. Hot Rod thought Grimlock was a Bozo and that's why the Dinobots became comic relief.

6. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Any preference that Grimlock may have shown for Rodimus in S3 compared to Optimus from S1 & 2 I'm sure was unintentional from the G1 writers. But assuming this was true, I guess we could imagine Grimlock having felt more threatened by Optimus' authority rather than Rodimus who, in many ways, was a less imposing leader. In short, Grimlock was more likely to be jealous of and view Optimus as a rival for dominancy, someone he felt in his primitive way he had to prove he was just as powerful as, whilst Rodimus was a young and inexperienced new leader who didn't hold the confidence of his predecessor.

7. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

This. Running with the topic idea of this thread, we can assume that Grimlock viewed Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime more as a friend and someone who ASKED for his help, rather than demanded it... and someone who let Grimlock keep some part of the authority.

Plus we should consider that by the time Rodimus Prime became leader, Grimlock had many years to mature. By then he seemed to have accepted being a member of the autobots and built friendships outside of the Dinobots. Being more mature by then he may also have become less rebelious, alot like your average teenager when they become an adult. That could also be another reason why he seems to bond better with Rodimus... because both were rebelious young spirits under Optimus Prime's authority. Both were mavericks when Optimus Prime was the Leader.

8. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    I just wish they showed us how Grimlock matured in the TV series...

9. Lone Cat

Lone Cat Well-Known Member

If you've read/saw TF: The War Within (even through YouTube fan project). you'll see that the Dino Bots (Dino as its original latin meaning for "Fierce"... not million years old beasts) were brave warriors and not losing its speaking ability (?) at then Grimlock can speak in full sentence not a short phraise. Sentinel Prime was slain and Orion Pax was coronated as Optimus Prime. at then he wasn't ready for burdens he's yet to face. (Much like Rodimus Prime). at then the only solution for him coming to his mind is to leave Seibertron and head for elsewhere (he thoughs that no one will ultimately wins the war). Grimlock for being a warrior then felt like Optimus was just a Coward and Grimlock believe if he becomes Prime he will order every Autobots not to leave Seibertron but to fight on to the bitter end.

Rodimus.. in Grimlock's view, was abot more courageous and Rodimus did manage to gain foothold on Seibertron.

10. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Lone Cat, you're mixing up continuities. The question essentially applies to the cartoon continuity. War Within is a part of the Dreamwave comics continuity.

11. Rodimus

I get what you're saying, since they did seem to use him as comic relief and that isn't exactly "mature"... my use of the word in the previous post is more about learning to no be so rebelious and spiteful to your allies.

But he makes a good point and at least there is some cannon to explain it. I found the post enlightening to the topic.

12. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Seriously, Grimlock's seeming respect for Rodimus was a side effect of an inconsistent writing staff, like most major G1 characters. Galvatron, Rodimus, Optimus, Soundwave, Starscream, Megatron ALL went through various unexplained changes in attitude and temperment for no reason, and then next episode, they would change again. Some knucklehead just decided to make him more passive comic relief in seson 3.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think you guys have discussed the issue well, but I guess I just didn't like the turn the writers took with him for the movie and afterward. In season 3, Grimlock not "king", Grimlock "bozo". A BIG bozo at that. His shining moments in season 3 were taking charge of the "Primitives" in "Call of the Primitives" and when he actually grew a brain and gave it all to Computron.

14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    You could reason that Grimlock saw Hot Rod as a little brother type who had come to become leader and felt more protective of him, while he thought of Optimus as a rival.

15. E Nice

E Nice Well-Known Member

Optimus may have shown respect to Grimlock but only in a face to face confrontations, but he didn't treat the Dinobots fairly when they were kept locked up on the ship. The Dinobots felt shafted enough to rebel a couple of times. Under Rodimus they were allowed to freely go about and be treated as any other Autobot. Grimlock may have viewed Rodimus as a friend rather than a domineering father figure that Optimus was.

16. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

Rodimus was a hot head, just like Grimlock. Birds of a feather.

17. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

This. It always felt weird whenever Optimus and company would just lock up the dinobots, But then call for them only when absolutely necessary. In the first two seasons, they were treated like tools. Rodimus actually treated Grimlock as a friend.

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I reckon Grimlock of season one and two wouldn't have been as fond of Rodimus. Maybe Grimlock and Hot Rod went fishing together from time to time and became mates through that and that gave Rodimus some leeway, like still being friends with someone at work even when they get promoted above you. And then Grimlock got a lobotomy between season two and the movie and became a jelly brain.

19. Rodimus

Excelent point. Grimlock also seemed sick of the fact that the only time Optimus Prime let the Dinobots fight (which is their favorite thing to do) was when the Autobots got stuck in a losing situation... so you have to assume that Grimlock got tired of rescuing the Autobots, and since Grimlock only respects power and might, he probably had no respect for Optimus and the Autobots from alway having to rescue them. In season 3 he was used more as a sidekick to Rodimus and the Autobot hierarchy. As for his better season 3 moments, I thought he had some good moments fighting the Predacons in season 3.

But the simple answer of real life is that they used an army of different writers to construct the series, and that's what led to the inconsistancy with attitude portrayals. They had so many writers I don't think you can even count them on 2 hands.

20. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Optimus beat Grimlock "for command." Grimlock respected Optimus as a leader, and as the stronger of them.

Rodimus was Grimlock's friend.

That simple.