GRIMLOCK: Henkei or Classics?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Obvious Prime, May 4, 2008.

1. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    Which one should I buy? I have some Store Credit left at BBTS that I'm just itching to spend.

2. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have the Classics version myself. The Henkei version is just as nice, but the chrome (while I actually like it on Megatron, Prime and Screamer) seems totally random on the Henkei version of Grimlock. So, I haven't upgraded that one like I did the other three. Still, if you don't have either version I'd just go with which ever one is cheapest as they're both pretty similar IMPO.

3. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

I would say to save your credit for something else. I bought that Classics figure and hated it.

4. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    here's a comparison pic.
    I prefer the henkai version myself
    [​IMG]

5. Obvious Prime

News Credits:
    Geez, I didn't know then Classics one was so tan! I think it's gonna be henkei for me, but I'd still like to hear other's consent.

EDIT: Oh, and Tamo, which one's better in terms of looseness? I.E., which one has tighter joints? I have Botcon Grimlock, and his joints are quite tight. I love this mold. I hope the make a G2 repaint.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I wouldn't recommend the figure. Though if you had to choose one, I'd go with the Hasbro one.

7. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I wouldn't recommend this toy either, but if you want it I would say the Hasbro version for sure. I saw the Japanese version in person and it's nothing special, if anything the chrome on this toy makes it look worse.

8. therealjondoe

therealjondoe Well-Known Member

:thumbdown  im not feeling the chrome

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's the way I saw it, though I haven't got the Henkei version. Saw them all over at Botcon though, and didn't care for the overblown chrome sections and the wide variation of gray tones. Hasbro Classics is more subtle. My 'classics' Grimlock is actually Energon Grimlock, with the classics head-swap operation.

"Shattered Glass" Grimlock looks kinda neat in his own way, wot?

10. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I collect Grimlocks so I'd get both. Still need the henkai version. Henkai looks better I think. The chrome reminds me of the dinobots in general so I think it looks col

11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally I prefer the Classics version. Randome use of chrome=/= better figure, and in most cases, chrome period doesn't help a figure, imo.

12. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I like the hasbro tan and rust deco. It really impressed me, and I'd recommended the toy. I also have energon grimlock its a little bright and the claws pop off if you push the wrong way but it is bigger than classics and retains the old transformation. but unless titanium grimlock turns out really gritty then classics is the definitive look I prefer.

13. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    joint wise the henkai is better but that is cause its newer.

What really makes me favor the henkai are the packaging/presentation and the small details they changed(the gun and tail)the chrome is overkill on some parts but it works for me.:D 

14. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like Classics dinomode better, but Henkei robot mode better. If I didn't have either one, I'd choose Henkei, but I don't prefer it enough to buy it when I already have Classics. So my vote is for you to get Henkei.:2c: 

15. permie

permie Well-Known Member

Henkei is the winner for me. I have both and I prefer the Henkei detailing. For those of you who say he has "random chrome" see G1 Grimlock kthx.

16. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    That picture isnt color accurate. There are inconsistencies with Classics Grimmy's plastic throughout his body but they're not that noticable in person. Also, that glossy chrome makes the Henkei version look like a Chinese KO.

17. Obvious Prime

News Credits:
    I think I'll go with the Henkei one. I actualy like the chrome, reminds me of G1 Grimmy, and, IMO, he's WAY more acurate, and way less bland. And, with the chrome, he looks like an almost different figure than Botcon Grimlock, wot?

18. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I like Hasbros version better. honestly the only reason I bought it was to complete my Classics Collection. The Dino head as his feet bother me.

19. Ashstar

Ashstar Liberator of Toys

News Credits:

Same here, just gotten him in the Jetfire twinpack for completion (well, just the bots... sans repaints) sake. But if I were to choose out of the two, I'd save the extra ucks and go with Classic. Henkei's chrome application is till too random for my liking, only loving Astrotrain so far as his chrome are far more subtle.

20. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you're asking this question, buy both. If you don't want both, go with the cheaper one, which is prolly Classics.