Grimlock: Dumb or Smart?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by QLRformer, Jul 13, 2012.

?

Dinobots: Smart or Dumb?

1. Smart

146 vote(s)
    74.5%
  2. Dumb

50 vote(s)
    25.5%
  1. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Pre Dino I like smart as a Dino dumb
    Or as of g1 cartoon dumb.

2. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    He's smart but a savage.

3. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I like how you say that's not correct but then repeat exactly what I just said to correct me.

The cartoon character model was BASED ON the same toy mold. They just changed the head mainly. It's not a completely new character design because the entire body, jet mode, and everything else about him is the same.

Classics Jetfire actually played homage to both the cartoon Skyfire and the comics Jetfire by having a removable helmet. With the helmet on he looks more like the original toy and the comic book Jetfire. With the helmet off his actual head mold looks like the cartoon Skyfire.

Oh and yeah, Jetfire had his Autobot insignia on his crotch. Skyfire it's on his chest.

That's actually wrong. While it was never shown on camera that the Decepticons had a computer of their own that could scan for new alt modes it was also never said that Teletran-1 was the only computer capable of doing this.

In Beast Wars both the Axelon and the Darksyde had their own computers capable of scanning for alt modes. It doesn't seem logical that the Decepticons wouldn't have access to their own computer as well.

Even though I guess the Nemesis was technically lost, they did have access to the Space Bridge so Shockwave could have sent them a computer to install in their base.

That doesn't make any sense. Why would you rebuild something that was already built? You don't "rebuild" old bodies, you repair them. To rebuild automatically makes it something new.

Like Orion Pax was rebuilt as Optimus Prime. No one ever said he was built as Optimus Prime, they said rebuilt.

You just proved my point for me, thanks.

The Dinobots aren't the only Transformers to have been built without the use of Vector Sigma. And I've always taken the personalities like ours line to mean that they would be mindless drones and not have personalities at all which the Dinobots may be primitive but they are not drones.

Actually in the case of the Stunticons and Airealbots there were drones for a while until Vector Sigma downloaded their personalities. Before that all they could do was follow basic commands and could not think for themselves. Given the dialog this means that the Dinobots should also have no minds and only be able to follow basic commands.

I guess it could be interpreted both ways.

4. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Baka Mitai

You've never heard of rebuilding a car, have you?

5. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Smart doesn't mean civilized or well-spoken.

I prefer Grimlock to have the 'speech-impediment', a fabulous low cunning, to be a fairly competent (if rough and somewhat brutal) leader, and just overall be a violent, angry kind of 'bot.

The 'idiot child' from the cartoons, I've just never liked.

- Coeloptera

6. afmultiverse

afmultiverse Banned

Again, you are incorrect.As you can see, more then the head was changed.
    [​IMG]

Heres is the g1 Jetfire toy commercial so you can see the differences in color
    1980s Transformers Jetfire Shockwave Commercial - YouTube
    Next time you might want to try looking up the images before you make such a claim.

slight correction.The marvel G1 Jetfire looked the same as the cartoon character, it just had a different name.

No, you are wrong because if it was never shown or stated then you can not claim the cons had such a computer.Now if you want to believe they had one thats fine....but thats fan fiction.Never seen inside the series means you cant assume they had one in a debate.

It may not seem logical to you that the cons didn't have the ability, but that is a series fact.In all 3 seasons of the cartoon,the only things/characters ever shown to be capable of giving tf's a new body with out mechanical work was Teletran 1 , the Matrix and Unicron.

But sadly for your argument we are not debating Beast era technology.

it does make sense in when based on the possible reasons for the job.If they were all in parts, but not heavily damaged then all that would be needed is to be re-built
    go back and re-watch the entire series.They used both the words "built" and re-built" to describe what Alpha Trion did for Optimus.

Funny, how you leave out the part that weakens your argument.here is the line again.

theres no way here on Earth to give them cybernetic personalities like we have

the part in bold is the key to the statement.

true, but in those other cases something special was in play or their weren't very bright.

you can take the line that way if you like, but nothing in the dialog gives that as the only possible definition.As you say, it can be seen both ways.

7. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely smart. Marvel version FTW.

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Just thought I'd leave this here, from the G1 Marvel series. It seems Dreamwave wasn't the first example of suggesting Grimlock speaks that way because of a technical glitch, not because he's ******ed.

That's Pretender Grimlock there, btw...

[​IMG]

zmog

Attached Files:

9. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

I like my Grimlock smart, with a streak of arrogance.

Between them Budiansky and Furman gave us an interesting set of Dinobots (before the cartoon influence anyway) ... Snarl, Sludge and Slag were varying mixtures of nihilism, aggression, impulsion and stupidity. Swoop was a rebel shaped by a secret in his past and Grimlock a great warrior who became an effective leader.

10. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    Smart but sounds dumb.

11. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots
    This.

12. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I would think the version of him I like is the one somewhat akin to the Gray Hulk. He might talk like a dumb guy, but is actually a powerful and cunning warrior.

13. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

News Credits:
    Smart
    FOC grimlock is looking interesting with his "if you run away and survive you're a wimp but if you stay and fight to the death you're a warrior"

14. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whichever Grimlock that wears the apron.

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's a pity in-story though as Grimlock had just been rebuilt/repaired/restored by the healing wonders of Pretender tech (a lot of the story of Classics Pretenders was about how great the shells were at repairing TF - heck, it rebuilt Starscream from just a tangle of scrap) and yet it still couldn't fix Grimlock's speech problem. Reminds me of BayFormers/Prime Bumblebee and his forever broken voicebox. So once again G1 did it first. :) 

16. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Other than Sludge, who is usually the 'stupid' one across continuities, I'd prefer the Dinobots be about the same intelligence as the average TF.

17. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Yeah, but if it's a programming glitch or a virus, or a pre-existing condition in a non-essential system, then a repair session wouldn't necessarily fix it. It would probably require special attention.

And I could see Grimlock being the kind of guy who would be all
    "You no go poking around in head! Not matter if me speak bad. Me no talk Decepticons to death. Sword. Fist. Tooth. Gun. This my language. Action speak loud enough!!"
    :) 

zmog

18. Darktide

Darktide Banned

Smart but Primitive compared to other Transfromers....

19. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

Pretty much this.

20. afmultiverse

afmultiverse Banned

for what I recall, the grey Hulk wasn't dumb