Greg Berger: Funny Grimlock or Serious Grimlock?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lazerwave, Sep 11, 2017.

?

Greg Berger Grimlock. G1 or FOC?

1. G1 Grimlock

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. Fall of Cybertron Grimlock

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  1. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    We all know Greg Berger does the Grimlock we all know. In the G1 show, he was kind of silly when he's like, "ME Grimlock, blank." But in the Fall of Cybertron game, he was a serious warrior. What do you prefer?

2. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Funny Grimlock is so damn lovable. Serious Grimlock was, well, I don't think he qualified as a deep character or anything but I still liked him.

I think Grimlock works best in a balance between funny and serious. Like Movie Grimlock in TLK. Obviously a wasted character, but while he was more of a sillier Grimlock, he was just as badass and serious in combat as ever. I dunno, maybe I'm just stating the obvious.

3. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

I voted for funny Grimlock. I love that guy. (Edit: But not the RID2017 Grimlock, he annoys me.)

In theory I'm fine with serious Grimlock. In practice, in a lot of writers' hands he comes across as . . .

"Hi, my name is Grim 'The Beast' Lock and I have a super strong bite (it's how I got my name) and a lot of people tell me I'm as badass as Unicron. (A/N: if u don't know who he is get da hell outta here!) I'm the toughest robot ever and also the strongest and I Make The Hard Choices, not like Optimus Prime and his followers who are total preps. I was walking outside Autobot base. It was raining fire and also snowing lava, so there were no sun or flowers, which made me happy. A lot of Autobots stared at me. I put up my middle finger at them."

• Like Like x 2
  4. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Serious, the King of the Dinobots who doesn't take s*** from his allies or enemies and a terror on the battlefield. Maybe some humor thrown in here and there.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Serious. I hated Grimlock until Simon Furman wrote him in Marvel US. He was an idiot in the cartoon and an ass for most of the Budiansky run.

There's too much silliness in this franchise as it is.

6. MattDallas

MattDallas Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Marvel UK/Furman Grimlock with a dash of Sunbow series one & 2.

7. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Tough question. But I offer my favorite Grimlock moment as a third, middle ground. At the end of Grimlock's New Brain, Grimlock relinquishes his intelligence to Computron so that it can defeat Abominus. He regains his loveable speech impediment but becomes aware of his limitations. It was kind of a lighthearted moment during a pretty heavy scene, and it kind of laid the groundwork for what could become FoC Grimlock.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AMG

AMG Old School

In the show he was a defiant badass early on, but later he became silly and fun. I enjoyed watching both versions.

9. omagaprime

omagaprime Well-Known Member

Is it to much to ask for both? I like the idea that he's smarter than you think letting you think he is dumb. But also you can't mess with G1

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Soundwave902

Soundwave902 The Lone Survivor

I never really liked funny Grimlock, how could someone take a military commander seriously if he acted like that?

Serious Grimlock made more sense, he's been through hell and back.

11. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I voted g1 but I like a mix of both

12. Ruizu1990

Ruizu1990 I'm a girl, not a boy.

News Credits:
    a big, damp, foggy island nor-noreast of Ushant
    Ebay:
    Funny.

13. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Prefer serious with a tiny dash of funny. I basically enjoy dinosaur violence because that was what the dinosaur world was like: violent, brutal, and unforgiving in any retrospect. Grimlock is a badass who transforms into the King of Dinosaurs. He needs to be smart, not dumb, because he's a military commander who gets shit done and does stuff that Optimus Prime himself wouldn't do. He gets the job done, but he's still compassionate.

Long live King Grimlock!

[​IMG]

14. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

I'm going with funny with a tinge of tragedy. The G1 cartoon Dinobots are all Frankenstein-monsters--brought into existence on the sheer creative impulse of a mad-scientist, and doomed to the fringes of society due to their awkward shapes.

But let's face it--his alt. mode is absurd. Once you get into talking dinosaurs, you are going to have to play it for laughs to some extent, and then leverage the comedy to turn them into sad clowns.

Also, I did not like the FoC origin story for the Dinobots.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

My personal headcanon is that Grimlock starts out, well, grim and serious, but after some time on Earth he lightens up and finds internal peace.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Macross79

Macross79 Well-Known Member

G1 Grimlock hands down. Plus he had one the funniest quotes in the movie "Me Grimlock kick butt!!"

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I love both. Serious Grimlock is more like the Marvel take, which I do like. But the Sunbow version edges him out for me.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't have much FOC experience, but I always found Sunbow Grimlock endearing, especially the somewhat more hard-edged and rebellious pre-movie version, the guy who would help turn the tide of a battle, but give Optimus Prime shit for it.

19. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Voted G1 because not both.

IMHO Grimlock in G1 is not an idiot. He is just immature. Even the desertion and all his subsequent antics can be explained rationaly from this perspective. Not that he is the brightest tool in the shed, but he definently isnt a total waste (brain wise). He can learn from experience and he might take time but he can make reasonable deductions, as he did when he understood Optimus position and turned on Megatron. Unlike the rest of the dinobots (except Swoop perhaps?) who seem to be totally oblivious to anything. Lets not forget than in seasons 1 and 2 the dinos were barely one year old and in season 3 around 20.