Green Lantern help..

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Wyvern, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    So I've been out of comics for YEARS. And now I don't know what's going on with anything. Lately....well for a couple of years I have been seeing a lot of interesting stuff regarding being done with Green Lantern. Awesome figures, cool new lantern corps. Well they're new to me at least.

What I need is for someone to point me in the right direction with graphic novels. I really want to read everything available. I also want to get these GL DCUC figures.. so yeah.... can someone help? Please?

2. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    GL: Rebirth, Secret Origins.

GL: Corps books, pretty much all of them are pretty good cuz they focus on the other GL members aside from Hal.

SC War was a great read, then I'd suggest Blackest Knight and Brightest Day.

In the meantime, there's a few Parallax stories that are great too.

3. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Awesome! Thanks! Now are these single issue books or are they available in graphic novels??

4. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    Most have been collected into a paperback or hardcover book.

It also depends how far into the GL universe you wanna go.

This is a straight up classic romp, it's old school goodness. So rad: http://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1300789202&sr=8-2

Rebirth was alright, abit short, but you might like it. I don't know: http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Gree...5748/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1300789126&sr=8-3

Secret Origins is a neat place to start: Amazon.com: Green Lantern: Secret Origin (9781401219901): Geoff Johns, Ivan Reis: Books

These two are my personal favorites cuz I love the Red Lantern Corps. and Larfleeze:

Amazon.com: Green Lantern: Rage of the Red Lanterns (9781401223014): Geoff Johns, Shane Davis, Mike McKone: Books

Amazon.com: Green Lantern: Agent Orange (9781401224202): Geoff Johns, Philip Tan: Books

As I said, SC War is a pretty good story: Amazon.com: Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War, Vol. 1 (9781401218706): Geoff Johns, Dave Gibbons, Ivan Reis: Books

Blackest Night is completed, there's just alot of books that cover the entire thing, but the main event is in one book.

Brightest Day is like a sequel to Blackest Night and Vol. 1 of it is out currently.

5. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'd say track down all of the current stuff. All of it is pretty good and ties together pretty nicely. Check out your local library, as that is how I got started with Rebirth.

If you want to dive a little deeper, I would recommend Emerald Twilight so you can see how Hal went nuts.

6. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

I think I remember how Hal went nuts. Or how it started at least. I remember buying the issue of Green Lantern when Coast City gets destroyed. I was collecting the Reign of Supermen stuff back then.

I never really tried to read Green Lantern books. It just seemed to be a difficult thing to do. There was just so much history behind the character. I never saw a good jumping on point..

7. shifty02

shifty02 This is the way

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    If I'm remembering correctly, the Rebirth storyline leads into the Sinestro Corps War storyline, which leads into introducing all the other lantern corps, when then leads into Blackest Night, which leads into Brightest Day which is just about to wrap up after a year.

Most of the main stories have been compiled into trades since Rebirth.

8. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    So rebirth is where I should start?

9. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    For the current stuff... yes.

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd start at Sinestro Corps War and then go back to Rebirth. SCW is a much better story, is surprisingly self-contained and is the point where things started to ramp up and get really interesting. Rebirth, IMO, is more a framework for a series of awkward retcons and maneuvering that was necessary to get everyone/everything in place for the better stories to come in the future, rather than a good story on it's own. Rebirth is worth reading at some point but it isn't essential to understanding anything in SCW and isn't nearly as effective a hook.

11. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I'd start with Green Lantern Secret Origin, then Rebirth, and everything else that follows afterward.

And I very much disagree with Rebirth not being essential to your reintroduction into the GL universe. Some very important concepts to the series are first introduced here.

-Parallax
    - the return of Guy Gardner to the GLC
    - Black Hand's reintroduction

And it's just a great series. Just coming into Sinestro Corps War is liking watching the Two Towers without having seen Fellowship of the Ring first.

12. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    I started with Secret Origin. I think that's the way to go, personally.

13. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Recharge and To be a Lantern are also awesome. It´s a shame that Soranik is stealing the spotlight of Iolande wich a far more interesting character.

14. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Oh man. I'm so exited. Can't wait to read these books.

15. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits: