"Green Lantern: First Flight"

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Paladin, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Eh really and truly, "Emerald Twilight" and "Rebirth" will get you all nice and caught up. Maybe a side of "Recharge" from GLC.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Sinestro Corps War. The story from that point has been building and building toward Blackest Night.

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Very very good. I lucked up and got the last Best Buy special edition with Hal Jordan figure.

My only complaints and they are slight. I wish they'd left Hal with his traditional white gloves. I'm not really a fan of the John Stewart bands. Secondly, I wasn't a fan of Michael Madsen as the voice of Kilowog. His voice just didn't fit the character IMO.

Other than those minor nitpicks, what an excellent film.

4. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Saw it. Liked it but not without its flaws.

My major complaint is an odd one-it feels like there's just TOO MUCH of the Green Lantern in this movie.

Hal gets maybe a couple minutes of backstory & then its on with the ring & off to space!. I would've liked to see more of Hal as a regular human; just to flesh out his characterization.

5. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch

Dude, THANK YOU! This is what I was thinking, and couldn't articulate worth a damn,lol.

I loved this movie, but knew there was something missing. Marvel's Lionsgate movies have been very good at this. Dr. Strange and Iron Man were fuckin amazing at fleshing out the character transformation into a hero. Green Lantern First Flight just said "fuck it" and jumped right in figuring people just want to see Green Lantern(s) anyway and not Joe Smoe regular Hal Jordan.

I will say I liked Superman Doomsday much more than Green Lantern first flight, though. Thus, I'm looking very forward to Superman/Batman Public enemies, especially having read it.

6. smkspy

I liked that they jumped right in as it was very true to Hal's Silver Age origin.

7. Altercron

This.

8. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rented this movie today & loved it. Like others I felt they rushed a little too fast into him going to Oa but I'd reccomend everyone at least rent it. Now I wait for Sups & Bats: Public Enemies

9. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I think the movie quickly moves from him getting the ring to going to OA, but they lead you to believe that he has had the ring for a while and has been practicing using it.

It seems origins and story are two big conflicts among fans. I used to be all about more origin stuff, but not so much anymore, I would rather just have a good story. I don't need a backstory on Supes or Bats, and I already know GL, so I would just rather have a good story which I think they accomplished in the movie.

I understand the concern among bringing in new fans, but one of the best movies of all time is one where you are thrown into a story with no background.... Star Wars: A New Hope. Here was a movie that when it came out gave mention of Clone Wars, Correlian Cruisers, speaking Bocce, etc... and we were hooked. I want to see more of that in modern movies.

10. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch

This is a lot of truth. I only appreciate origin stories when they are done properly, which although is a matter of perspective, I think the majority of us will agree that the first Hulk Movie on the big screen was epic fail in terms of fleshing out the origin far too long. I really wanted to see more of Hulk not Banner.

Batman Begins did the origin thing really well, but look how much better the Dark Knight was just by throwing in the Joker right from the beginning. No one ever had to tell you how he became the Joker, and it's that enigmatic quality that made him such a stellar character in that film. You knew nothing of what compelled him to do the things he did, and that kept him even more unpredictable.

I still didn't see Hal Jordan, in this film, to be as engaging of a character as Bruce Wayne/Batman or even Superman/Clark Kent, however that's not to say that I don't think he can't be. How does he compare to these guys, character wise, in the comics for those of you who are well versed in them?

11. smkspy

I think the movie portrayed Hal's character very well. He is the character that jumps in any situation head first. He is the DC Universe's man without fear. Though Hal's characterization in the comics is one of the bigger complaints about him. Many feel that Hal and his Earth supporting cast don't get enough screen time. Personally, I can't stand Hal as the self-doubting hard-traveling hero...it's too Peter Parker for me.

Besides there isn't much to Hal's origin other than: Abin Sur crash lands, he gives the ring to Hal, and Hal becomes a super-hero. The biggest addition to his origin is the tragic death of his dad at a young age, but I think that would have detracted from this movie.

12. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch

:lol  I really wish you hadn't pulled this analogy, though I know you were only trying to make his character more tangible to me given my Marvel Comics experience, I really can't stand Daredevil!

I did notice his tendency to dive into things head first though. The other aspect of his character that I noticed, and correct me if I'm wrong, was that Hal Jordan appeared to be much more resourceful and imaginative with his abilities than the other Lanterns. He also didn't seem to be inhibited by the same rules and regulations as the others. As a matter of fact, what I felt the driving theme of the entire story was came from just one statement that one of the weapon makers made to Sinestro after the Yellow Lantern was completed.

I believe it was something to the effect of, "It is the most powerful weapon in the universe, and its only flaw is that of all weapons...its user."

Powerful statement I thought, one which I thought Hal Jordan personified positively.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  13. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    I think them jumping in also was a positive thing. I would hate to havea bunch of backstory. it's a cartoon, it needs action. Comics can span stuff out but when you actually see the 2D page come alive in full motion, "Bam" and "Pow" can be elaborate sequences.

Also, a lot of backstory would take away from a nice pace. I think a few more minutes couldn't have hurt, but going into his human life conflict and things to that extent will kill the film.

14. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I watched this twice today and I loved it. My only complaint is, just like with all of the previous DC animated dvds (except Gotham Knight), it was too short. Add another 20 minutes and we're into 5 star territory.

I loved the casting. Victor Garber as Sinestro is just brilliant. His voice gave a certain amount of dignity and class to the villain, which is a direction I never went when I read the character in the comics.

Me too. The little preview with First Flight was great and I'm excited to hear Tim Daly again as the voice of Superman. Kevin Conroy as Batman and Clancy Brown as Lex Luthor is awesome as always. My only concern is that squeezing a 6 issue mini-series into an 80 minute movie means that A LOT is going to get cut out.

15. Wreckgar

News Credits:
    I just watched the Duck Dodgers episode and speaking of voices, it was funny to hear the cast. Kevin Smith was Hal Jordan, Frank Welker was Chip, and John Dimaggio (Sideways in ROTF, Bender, Aquaman from Brave and the Bold) was Kilowog

16. shifty02

shifty02 This is the way

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I was really impressed w/ all the extra features on the two disc set.

Lots of features reguarding Hal & DC's next movie, the Duck Dodgers cartoon, and then 4 Justice League cartoons! Very awesome set & worth the cash.

I also thought the movie was kickass.

17. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Downloaded the first 16 mins off of PSN........................not bad but the 50's style animation mixed in with modern styling is sorta Gay.

18. Wreckgar

News Credits:
    Also, for those going to Best Buy, they have all the other DC movie on sale. Regular editions of Superman: Doomsday, Wonder Woman, and DC New Frontier are 6.99 and 2 disk editions are 12.99. I got SE of Wonder Woman because I wanted to see the myth feature but only got regular editions of the other 2 as nothing on the second disk didn't appeal to me.

19. Altercron

Sweet, better have some left when I get there tommorow morning.

20. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

That was my only complaint as well. It wasn't long enough. Same thing I thought about New Frontier.