Green Lantern #38 - SPOILERS -

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Switch625, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Another great issue of Green Lantern. Hal gets a blue ring, which counteracts and eliminates the red ring and he becomes some kind of green/blue hybrid. The Orange Guardians, The Controllers, appear and it seems Carol's not quite done with the Star Sapphires/Violet Lanterns. Hopefully Cowgirl will get a violet ring, too.

There's also a good Origins & Omens backup, which seems to bring Alan Scott into the picture somehow. I've wanted him to get involved in the current incarnation of the Green Lantern universe for awhile now and it seems he's about to. Hal also appears in the backup, but seemingly without his new hybrid status.

I'm loving the build up to The Blackest Night. It's going to be the comic event of the year!

2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I also found it interesting that the blue rings don't work with out the green ones.

3. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I don't think it's that. I believe the only function of the blue rings are to affect the other 6 rings.

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very good issue with lots of stuff going on at once. We find out the limitation of the Blue ring, Carol is inducted into the Sapphires, set-up for the civil war within the Sinestro Corps, the Controllers continue their quest for the orange light, Agent Orange/Larfleeze has some agreement with the Guardians and the Red Lanterns are going after the Blue Lanterns now. In that panel where the Controllers are commenting on the jungle, the head on the lower left side reminds me of one of the Orange Lantern sketches previewed on Newsarama, although be damned if I can find the article right now.

In the Origins and Omens thing, anyone know who the two guys standing with Alan Scott are?

- Atrocitus - "His emerald ring is inactive and without an active Green Lantern by their side, a Blue Lantern's ring won't work."
    - Saint Walker - "You are...correct, Atrocitus".

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great issue. I've really been loving this book since the Sinestro Corps War (except for that unnecessarily long and pointless re-re-recap of Hal's origin). The build up to the War of Light is a lot of fun and I'm really looking forward to Blackest Night.

I do wish Johns would give up on the damn Cowgirl character, though. She was annoying when she was in more than one issue a year, and now she's both annoying and pointless.

6. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

One is Torquemada, a Green Lantern, the other dunno.

7. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:

really? i've got all those sketches DL'd as my screen saver, so i'll have to check that out...

Newsarama.com : Philip Tan: More From the Orange - Three More Orange Lanterns

Newsarama.com : FIRST LOOK: Orange Lanterns from "Agent Orange" by Philip Tan

Newsarama.com : Painting It Orange: Philip Tan on the Orange Lanterns

there's 3 of the links too...

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Excellent, I was looking for those myself!

Looking over those articles, and comparing to the "Okaara jungle" panel, the head on the left looks kind of like the first Orange Lantern shown in this article, while the feminine head on the right looks kind of like the first Orange Lantern shown in this article. I might be reading too much into this, though.

9. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Is is just me, or do most of those Orange Lanterns look alike? They're all long, insect like creatures. I'd like to see some more variation in those.

10. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Was I the only one who though to much was going on in the book to provide a good story? It was like 6 things pulling you different directions at once. I didn't hate it, but didnt' enjoy it as much as previous issues or the current GLC run.

11. Bruticus_42

Bruticus_42 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm sorry, but too many colors in this series, give me back the good 'ol days of just green and yellow rings! Maybe I should change my name from Bruticus to Kup!

12. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    Yes

Thought it was fantastic. Green Lantern has been incredible since Sinestro Corps War (other than the Secret Origin Stuff)

13. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Can't say that I know who the other guy is for sure, although I've seen some suggesting it is Mordru. At any rate it appears the Guardians decide to out law magic given Torquemada is a sorcerer and Alan Scott's power comes from the Starheart and I assume the third character there has a magic connection as well.

14. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Another great issue. I'm not too sure about Blue/Green uniform. I hope its only temporary.

Though, I can't believe people didn't like Sercet Origin. That arc was great and it finally wiped away the stupid DUI part of Hal's origin.

15. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Agreed on both points. I thought Secret Origin was a great arc, and an excellent set-up for the Blackest Night.

I wasn't expecting the blue ring to destroy the red one... maybe just counteract the negative effects of it.

I'm loving that Red Lantern Cat. I don't know why, but I crack up every time it shows up.

16. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

The third guy in O & O story was Mordru. So yeah, looks like the Guardians are going after magic users.

17. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    That's why I altered my theory a bit. I think certain rings can't be worn at the same time. I'm guessing yellow and red, blue and indigo, and orange and violet might be the only combinations that may work.

18. Sparky Prime

Green and blue appear to work together. Actually, from what was said in this issue, it seems the blue rings need green.

19. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Green will work with everything. The only reason Hal had a problem is because he has anger management issues. Atrocitus said as much.

20. Sparky Prime

Didn't look like Green would work with Red to me... Red we saw drained the power from a dozen Green Lanterns, not just Hal. And Red clearly overpowered Hal's willpower by forcing him to be a Red Lantern, unlike the Blue ring that made him a composite blue/green lantern.