Green Lantern 29 - Secret Origin (spoilerificness)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Lumpy, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    wow...

as i picked up this book today, i really expected a short filler story for a few issues that would be good, but not great. something to just kill some time til the war of light....boy, was i ever wrong...this was such a fantastic read, really getting into who hal is, and how he feels. freaking SUPERB...and the little bit at the end with Abin Sur is the smallest hint of excitement that keeps me scratching for the next issue....i love geoff johns...he is THE MAN...

2. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Whats the order of all the green lantern books since Hal came back? I'm trying to get into it

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Another great issue. I honestly think this is the best book Johns had ever written. Next month can't get here fast enough.

4. Lumpy

News Credits:
    well, hal came back in GL rebirth IIRC, then the ongoing started...so just hit your LCS and ask for rebirth and the first few trades (or issues if you can find them)

also, green lantern corp recharge came out, then a new ongoing started...check that out too..

5. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This issue would work really well as a Live action movie's first act.

6. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    The first few arcs of Green Lantern ongoing are only available in hardcover at the moment, DC's taking their time with getting the trades out.

There's also two trades of Kyle Rayner's adventures as Ion, I think they're called "Ion: Guardian of the Universe" and "Ion: The Dying Flame". I thought they were ok, not great, but they do set up plot elements that pay off in the Sinestro Corps War.

7. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is this the same as Emerald Dawn?

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    It looks like he's taking the best parts of Emerald Dawn 1 and 2 and mixing them as well as adding his own take to the story. It may even turn out to be a revision.

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Well, we all knew that the book's great momentum coming out of the Sinestro Corps would have to crash sometime, and boy did it crash hard. Outside of the two pages with Abin Sur, this issue was absolutely nothing new. I think almost every scene in this issue was either shown or at least described in detail earlier on in volume 4's run. Hal's dad dying, him joining the Air Force, his mom dying while refusing to see him, him punching his superior officer and getting drummed out of the Force... not a single bit of new information or deeper revelation. I'm not really sure we need another recap of Hal's origin this soon.

Of course, the biggest problem with the book is the fact that Johns still doesn't realize the one great truth about Hal Jordan: he is boring. Hal is a great hero. Put the ring and costume on him and he shines with the best of the DC universe. But once he's out of the costume he totally and completely fails to be even remotely interesting. The early issues of this volume really suffered from Johns insisting that civilian Hal is a great character, and it looks like we're going to be going through that again.

This is what I miss about Kyle. Kyle was just as good of a superhero as Hal, but when he took off the leotard and ugly crab mask, Kyle had an interesting life full of personal struggles, romantic issues, and actual character development. His personal life had ups and downs, high points and low points. Hal just floats by on his "Hey, I'm a cool guy who flies planes and nails hot chicks. Am I awesome or what?" This isn't a guy who can drive a comic book when he isn't off fighting evil (which is probably why Hal's book has been cancelled and/or co-opted so many times in the past). He works great in the Justice League or some other team book, but on his own he just miserably fails at being compelling (albeit not as badly as John Stewart). I really wish Kyle (or even better, Guy) was headlining the GL solo book.

10. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

While I agree that I'm not sure that a recap of Hal's origin just for the sake of telling it was a little odd, I think that you're analysis of Hal as a character isn't true anymore.

Maybe back before Emerald Twilight Hal was a boring character, but now, I think that Johnns is doing a pretty good job of trying to build a real personality for Hal to have.

He is more than someone who just flies planes. He is someone who is always in the shadow of his father, and he feels guilt for not being there for his mother, as well his issues with his brothers. Instead, I would say that these are all threads that need to be expounded upon to make Hal a more interesting character.

11. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought this issue was terrible. Like Switchblade mentioned, there was virtually no new information in this book that hadn't been mentioned extensively or shown on-panel already. The only thing new and significant, IMO, is the reveal that Abin Sur went back to Ysmault at some point. There was also a lot of stuff that struck me as cliched; the reaction of Hal's mother to his father's death, the reactions of Jack Jordan to Hal, the "trigger" incident for the air force/marines fistfight...it feels like I've seen this movie before. Beyond that, it's padded out with two 2-page splash pages and a 1-page splash page. I'm looking forward to the next issue hopefully containing some more GL-related stuff and maybe bringing in Sinestro.

And it doesn't help that Hal is really boring right now. Coming back to the idea of cliches, it feels like I've seen Hal Jordan before in multiple action/military films. He's not a complete stock character (though not too far off from "The Arrogant Pilot/Flyboy"), but there's not much unique that distinguishes him, in my mind, from characters I've seen in other works. There's potential, maybe, but little more than lip-service has been paid to adding any depth to Hal's character.

The problem, I think, is that the GL book needs some time to slow down and develop Hal's present-day character a bit more by giving him some interaction with other people on Earth. As it stands, his present supporting cast is virtually non-existent. His brother, Cowgirl, co-workers in the airforce and others tend to show up for a few pages every couple of issues and then disappear again...something that's gotten worse through SCW and the build-up to Blackest Night. Hal and Cowgirl are apparently dating, but hardly anything is said about that. Jim was having trouble with his business but that's dropped right off the radar, even though the mass return to Coast City should have some impact on his life and job. I can't even remember what was going on with the rest of Hal's air force co-workers, it's been so long since they've done anything significant; Hal's just shown flying a plane every so often, apparently to remind us he actually still has a job besides being Green Lantern. Hal's not going to grow as a human character if he doesn't get the chance to interact with normal people and develop his "off-duty" life.

12. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Excellent points, which I hadn't really thought of. You're right, going over Hal's backstory again isn't doing anything to help the present of the character. We haven't seen Hal off-duty since... shortly after the OYL leap, I think. Last time I remember seeing him in civvies was just before Star Sapphire returned, and even then it was only for a couple pages. This is really where Johns should be focusing if he wants to make Hal interesting, not going over his origin story yet again.

Of course, I think Johns' big problem is that he doesn't realize how boring Hal is. He's totally convinced that Hal is the awesomest Green Lantern ever, and it's hard to fix something if you don't realize it's broken.

13. smkspy

Hal is a lot less boring now than he ever has been before. Honestly, when it comes to Green Lanterns people like who like they, and will never waver from their reasons for hating other Lanterns. Its kind like Highlander where their can only be one, but yet their are so many.

Hal Haters will always think he is boring no matter what happens to the character, and Kyle haters will think he is an insecure nobody that replaced Hal.

14. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Actually, I like Hal a lot more than I used to. And I do feel that while he's in costume he really is a great hero, just as good as any other GL (well, except Guy - but no one is as awesome as Guy :p ). It's just the civilian aspect of the character that really needs improvement.

15. smkspy

Nobody beats Guy of course.

Though, I think Johns has paid more attention than most writers to Hal's civie life. Its a hard balance I believe for any GL writer to get everything write. You have the main character in his GL role, his civilian life, the Corps, and then the DC Universe. At some point, something has to be left out. IMO Kyle benefited from having the Corps destroyed that allowed Marz to focus more on his personal development, but for me he was always an aggravating & poor replacement for Hal. Hal has the problem of already being established therefore that training period Kyle went through is always going to be absent.

For Johns, instead of retraining Hal, he is reintegrating him into his GL role and the Corps and because of this the focus isn't on his civilian life. I'm hoping this new arc will add some more too it, but to blast the opening chapter is a little unnecessary. After all it is being written for a TPB.

16. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I see what you are saying switchblade about Hal being boring before but Johns is going against the past and making him interesting. That is good writing when you take a notoriously boring character and breathe life into him. I have read some of the early 90s green lantern books that dealt with Hals personal life and I agree..boring but johns is doing a great job going against the boring Hal. This is only my opinion though.

17. Ted Kord

Ted Kord Well-Known Member

Good issue, even considering it's mostly a rehash of stuff we've seen from Rebirth and the beginning of the series. Can't wait to get into the Sinestro and Abin Sur stuff, though.

18. Lumpy

News Credits:
    has anyone else decided to pick up tales of the green lantern corp annual 2 since this started? i think im gonna get the alan moore trade that has it because i realy wanna read that story now...and i can get it for a decent price at my LCS...i'm curious to see where all this stuff is being drawn from...

19. Ted Kord

Ted Kord Well-Known Member

I've had it for years and I dug it out when I learned of the Blackest Night connection. Definitely worth picking up for a couple dollars. The last time I saw a copy was in a dollar box at a comic convention a couple months ago.

20. Lumpy

News Credits:
    nice, i wish i could find the single issue that cheap, but doubt i will, so the trade will have to work for me for now...