Green Grand Patriot price check...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lumpy, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    my LCS got one in and isn't sure at all how to price it, so i figured i'd ask here to get some serious input. if you walked into a store and saw it, what would be a good price, in your opinion. I know eBay has a few listings at 200ish, but that seems unrealistic to me. and BBTS has the set of two for 180, so whatcha think?

2. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
  3. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I have nothing to contribute. I would just like to know what an "LCS" is.

4. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    LCS = Local Comic Shop (Store)

5. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wouldn't pay more than $50 for it, if that, and only if you're willing to do some work on it

6. darkwingduck13

darkwingduck13 Caped Crusader

Yeah, $50 would be my maximum.

7. Lumpy

News Credits:
    cool, thanks for the help. I'll pass this info along. $50 is about what I was thinking as well. But i'm not really interested in it at all.

8. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You guys are kidding me right? One figure retails for $90 and your saying it should be priced as $50? Shops are not in it to lose money. I mean, it's one thing to say how much YOU are willing to pay for it but the question is what the shop should sell it for. And if the shop wants to make any sort of money on it they shouldn't be selling it for $50. If several months down the line and alot of stores still have them and can't sell them at $90 a piece then it may go down on clearance or something but for now good luck trying to find a store that will sell it for $50. Now if the LCS you are referring to bought the thing for $20 or $30 and still make profit selling it for $50 then ok but I highly doubt they were able to get that one for $20 or $30.

9. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Yeah, I don't know that $50 is a very realistic. I'd say around $120.

I wouldn't pay that, but considering the original price and how you have to go about getting these, I'm not sure why it should be much less than that. Maybe if it's still there in a year, $50 would be a good clearance price.

10. darkwingduck13

Dude, if the LCS gave $20 or $30 for single pieces of used merch, I'd be HUGELY surprised. I live in an area with several of these "collectors/retro" type of toy/game/comic shops, and you're lucky to get 15% of what you originally paid for an item when you sell to them. Then most of them turn around, look it up on eBay, and price it according to the highest "Buy It Now" price...and guess what? It DOES sit there for a year or more. $50 is not an unreasonable price for that item.

11. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $20 for that thing, but thats just me.

12. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    Here's some things to clear this thread up a bit.

1) MSRP (manufactures suggested retail) is of course what the item is worth new. That's it.

2) Secondary market price is not the same thing as above and is determined by availability, desire and rarity.

3) What 'you' are 'willing' to pay does not set the price for a given item.

4) Any given store pricing their items by Ebay's highest anything is destined to fail which, of course, is why said store has those items in stock forever. I have a local store here which does use Ebay for reference but they do it right: You look up the items previous listing and average out the price based on that info. Keyword here is "average".

5) Condition is, of course, extremely important when judging the worth of something on the secondary market. An opened item is not the same as a sealed or incomplete piece and will not sell for the same.

If you want to get a fair assessment of this items worth on the secondary market just look up the items completed auction listings on Ebay and average out the actual selling prices.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  13. SCPrime

News Credits:
    Like I said, if it sits there for a while and no one bites then yeah it'll go on discount. But this figure was recently released like a month ago? If the LCS was able to procure the item from some desparate guy who sold it to them for less than $20 then $50 may be reasonable. But I have not come across anyone selling a grand patriot for less than $90 either on these boards or on ebay (there's only one listed right now and it's $200 for a pair)...used or otherwise. Again, in a few months the prices will probably drop if there are still alot of stock and if they are pieces of crap like some people make it out to be. Until then, $50 is a steal.

Edit: also, most places are only selling Grand Patriots as pairs (red and green). You either have to order through RK (and pay international shipping if you are in the US) or go halfsy with someone else. And from I have read, the more popular color seems to be the green one.

14. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Ok but from what we have all seen and heard, this thing is a POS. Justify the price based on that. No one is going to buy an expensive turd.

15. SCPrime

News Credits:
    No POS toy is worth a high price, I understand that. I read some QC issues with it too, but I yet to come across anyone wanting to unload their Grand Patriot for $50, QC issues or not. I want one but don't want to pay $90 for it and been looking for a good deal on the green one but haven't come across a good deal. Perhaps in a few months when people can't sell theirs for $90, or $80, or even $70 then I'll start seeing good deals but for now $50 is a steal.

16. darkwingduck13

Exactly. I haven't heard a single person here step up and say they'd pay more for it, so the $50 sounds like a fair price. I'd take a chance on one at $50. I think someone else agreed that $50 was good.
    I just get sick of seeing this overpriced stuff sit around in independent stores for literally years. The bad thing is that it only takes ONE MORON to come in and pay twice what something is worth 2 or 3 years after the shop has overpriced it to convince them that they're right. It's basically a fluke purchase. If more people would be honest about what stuff is worth up front, then maybe there'd be more flow of business in general.

17. Lumpy

News Credits:
    yeah, they're a great store and look at completed auctions to try and gauge price. I was just talking to the owner the other day about people coming into the store with something to sell and saying "it's on eBay for 200 right now" but that's some super overpriced listing that's been there for a year... then he shows them the completed auctions and you see its maybe selling for 20. but that's just how the business goes.

the guy who brought it in is a regular, but even then, i still doubt the store gave him more than 20 for it. but i could be wrong.

if he prices it low, i'll let you know.

also, just a general FYI, i used to work there as the TF expert for a few years, so that's why he asks me for help. I still help him price things out if he doesn't know what he's got, and in return i get free comics and toys which is fantastic.

18. SCPrime

News Credits:
    It depends alot on how much he bought it for as well and the condition. If he was able to get it for less than $20 then $50 is fair and he'll still make a profit. He should know though that the thing can be bought for $90 brand new (or about $100 shipped) so probably shouldn't price it over that. $70 is a fair compromise. If he's willing to sell it for $50 let me know :D