Green Gaofighgar?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by megatroptimus, Apr 29, 2007.

1. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
  2. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Yep, had a buddy at work taht picked one up. The chrome seemed REALLY flaky....probably strip off just like a lot of the Transmetals...

3. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    I'd rather have the CMS version...

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    That one is meant to represent his "G Stone" powered up version, when he performs Hell & Heaven. Yujin made three of those, that one, a regular one and the Golden God of Destruction one.
    I agree, I much prefer the CMs one. Less part swapping, even if some of the parts are hella fiddly.

5. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    CM's is likely far superior, though the Yujin one is cool in that it was both in scale to the Takara one + was the -only- sanely priced transforming GFG for years.

6. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    I never understood this release. Yujin made it at a point when the original toy in normal colors was sold out everywhere, and they made a TON of these. Just...why?? Anyhow, I guess it's not all that important, as this toy in any colors sucks hard :p 

7. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    I thought it was some (un)lucky draw at first. :D 

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I have this one... it's OK. A fair bit of parts-swapping, but it's otherwise not so bad, and it DOES transform. There are a few GFG figures out there, but not many that can actually break down into it's component parts like this one can. Plus it's HUGE... much larger than my CM's GaoGaiGar.

However, I don't like the chrome much... in general I don't like "chromed" plastic toys, lucky draw or otherwise. I'd much rather have the properly coloured version of this figure, but it seems much harder to find. Or the CM's version, but that would cost a whole lot more. :) 

Hey, I'd be willing to sell mine, with box and inserts, etc... any takers? :) 

zmog

9. Gaokaiser

Gaokaiser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  10. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    I have the regular and gold version. I need the green but not really concerned over it.

11. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    Personally, I think it cheats too much to say it transforms. GaoFar/PhantomGao only has like 2 transformation steps and the rest is part swapping. Drill Gao 2 combines correctly (not too difficult..), but Stealth Gao 3 and Liner Gao 2 both cheat a ton. It's really not much of a transforming toy. The only thing it has going for it imho is that it carries the size and aesthetic of the Takara GGG (except for the head, which they improved on, thankfully).

Thinking about how crappy GFG came out makes me much less regretful that Yujin never made their DX "transforming" Baan Gaan...

12. SMOG

Yeah, I agree it's cheating. But it does break apart, and with some adjustments, you end up with a full complement of GaoMachines, so that at least is cool. Considering that before CM's figures, most GGG figures around were action figures only, I still rate this GaoFighGar decently. It does give me a gattai fix. :) 

I just wish I had it in standard colours.

zmog

13. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    The original DX GGG is still the best imo. It's big, it doesn't cheat and it's decently poseable.

14. SMOG

I like that one. It's a real coup that they basically managed a perfect transform... but somehow the proportions of the final robot are just a little goofy and awkward. I prefer the styling of the CM's version, though for the price, the CM's is a bit fragile.

zmog

15. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    How were they managing the mass-shifting in the show? I mean, the lion is bigger than the train and almost as big at the jet, so...

16. SMOG

I don't know if they really were managing mass-shifting in the show... for the most part, the characters were fairly consistent in their sizes, or were supposed to be at least. :) 

Obviously, the scale probably slips a little bit here and there, but I never felt that there was anything really glaring through the run of the series. The train is the only thing that was tied to a specific scale. The drill tank doesn't have a real-world correspondent, and the StealthGao was actually pretty enormous... larger than a real stealth bomber I think.

The worst case might be Volfogg, since as an ordinary car-former, he really wouldn't be very big. His mini-copter and oversized motorbike combiner drones (Gundober and Guneagle) also seemed to somehow end up the same size once they tranformed. However, to my recollection, Volfogg and his combined Big Volfogg mode were always depicted as being significantly smaller than any of the other Braves in the series.

zmog

17. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    Yeah Volfogg was always tiny.

18. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    But I mean, how could a train go through a lion?

19. dlatkow

dlatkow Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I picked up a boxed one of these at a local comic shop for $40. Cool toy but I would prefer a standard color version.

20. SMOG

That's remarkably similar to my own story. I got it at a local comic store, decent price... but I wish I could find the real colour version. :( 

Errrr....?

Okay, I mean a normal lion, sure. That would be hard. Gigantic robot space lion? No problems. :) 

Though it must be conceded that Galeon does seem to have an awful lot of empty space inside his torso. Fortunately we have nanotech (or 10 years ago, "subspace") to explain anything that is patently stupid. Woot!

Though I'm still sort of at a loss to explain why you would build a train-like vehicle with false windows and everything, for no other purpose than to house giant robot upper arms. I mean, it's not like they actually bother using their altmodes for disguise purposes in GGG.

Clearly, we're thinking too much about a show that very self-consciously doesn't worry itself about thinking too much. :) 

zmog