Great time for being a Transformers fan!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by sodawilly, Feb 22, 2011.

1. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hi everyone,

Let me elaborate on this one a little bit. I have been a fan of Transformers since 1984 and yes, I am a "geewuner". I am not so die hard though that G1 is the only thing for me. My favorite stuff over the years has been G1, Beast Wars, which got me back into collecting, Beast Machines and TF Prime. I am a HUGE fan of the Masterpiece line and the now defunct Binaltech line. I loved how these were new interpretations of old favorites that I grew up with.

The last few years classic-wise, I have been getting the TakaraTomy versions of the figures. Why? Because for me, they are more representative of what I remember from growing up. Luckily budgetwise, I have been able to save up to do this. Years ago, I used to have most of the G1 figures, but over the years had sold them off. This was before Beast Wars came out. As soon as they tied it in to the original cartoon, it got me excited for the original stuff again, and that excitement has continued to build ever since.

I haven't been to a BotCon in a while, but at the ones I did go to, I met some really great people, and have met some great people here on the boards and made some pretty good friends too.

The last few years we have seen an increase in fan made products from either the 3rd party groups or even just by the fans here on the boards. With the success of the movies, allowing a bigger budget for more figures, look at all of the classic characters we all love being made. Between main line stuff, fan made stuff and the like, you have to admit we have it petty darned good right now.

I am a HUGE supporter for HasTak. People that know me know I am also a HUGE supporter of the 3rd party stuff. 3rd party stuff budgetwise has nothing to do with my budget for main line figures. Yeah, they are a little more expensive, but I love them. I do wish they were a little more affordable for more people, because they are such fun pieces.

This may sound a little like a rambling, but after I saw the prototypes for the new fansproject insect figures, how can I NOT express excitement? =)

Not to mention, we're getting a 3rd party "devastating" piece for our collection! =)

Share your thoughts!

Take care,

- Gregg

2. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well, the not-devastator is the closest thing I've had to a transformergasm, I mean...I've waited for so long for a decent Devastator and now that one is on its way and I got a welpaying job, a girlfriend who don't mind me collecting transformers, and a bun in the oven so to speak?

It feels good, man

3. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I really don't like 3rd party products and don't even consider them "Transformers" products.

However, I do 100% agree with you that this is a great time to be a Transformers fan! (Mind you, we've had it pretty good since 1984, aside from a couple of years in the early 1990s).

There is something for everbody at the mo:

1) The Classicsverse is getting ever bigger. Where just a few years ago we were grateful for new versions of G1 Prime and Bumblebee, now the most obscure character doesn't seem impossible!

2) A new live-action movie - and associated toyline/merchandise etc - is just around the corner.

3) A new television series, "Prime", has whetted the appetite. Hasbro has high hopes for its longevity and popularity, and I think their confidence is rubbing off on the fans.

4) New fans, young & old, are constantly flocking this way. Fresh blood is the lifeline for any hobby/fan community.

5) Hasbro and Takara are really listening to collectors and fans more than they ever have in the past. They're also really appreciating the franchise as a whole, and making efforts to recognise and accept it all (e.g. with Armada and BW updates as well as G1).

6) IDW are doing some very interesting things with their comics line. I know the fan response has been mixed, but I've enjoyed their output on the whole, and the current "Revenge of the Decepticons" story arc in the ongoing seems to be turning a few people who disliked the direction back on.

I'm sure there are plenty more, but in short - yes, a great time to be a fan!!

4. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I 100% agree. Looking forward to 2011 toys, this is going to be a great year!

5. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Agreed. My wallet is already hurting in anticipation of the money I will be spending.

6. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It makes me happy to see some optimism around here. :) 

7. sodawilly

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I forgot to mention the comics. I love the new comics, even if some of the stories aren't as consistant at times. As a whole, it's a great series. I still have the original 80 issue run of the Marvel series all as first prints in mint condition. I've kept them that way since I first got them years ago. I can remember when I was in the Army and on deployment for Desert Storm, my comic shop I used to shop with outside of Ft. Campbell, KY in Clarksville, TN held all of my pulls for a year and I had a ton of reading to catch up on. I'll never forget that guy did that for me. I was recently down in Tennessee here a few years back, and the guy was still there. His health was in serious decline, but when I popped in, I thanked him again for what he did.

- Gregg

8. sodawilly

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And I do like the movie stuff too. This years not so much so far, but I will get a few of them. I'm going to be mostly United and 3rd party stuff this year. =)

- Gregg

9. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree, while IMO this isn't the best time time it's ever been for me personally, right now we've got alot of variety in toys and entertainment for the brand that it seems there's something for everybody.

10. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I think the title of this thread could also be "Great time for having a decent source of income."

It does seem like there's been a ton of great stuff rolling out lately (including prototypes and pictures of upcoming stuff), with both official and 3rd party co's. I know there's quite a bit on my want list for this year.. and I've already got so much great stuff in Jan. Even though people always need to take a "pro or con 3rd party" stance, it looks like there's going to be plenty of official and 3rd party stuff to satisfy a pretty wide range of TF fans this year. I just hope that TFCC Dev isn't going to require I take out a second mortgage on my house, because going by the pictures I've seen so far I'd probably consider it.

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Never mind.

12. Starfire22

Starfire22 I am dirty dan!

News Credits:
    I agree especially for the classics collectors.

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

A few flies in the ointment.

A bit of worry about if some figures will actually hit retailers as there are so many areas right now that haven't seen the new stuff.

Everyone isn't a movie fan so not everyone will be welcoming the flood of movie related products. I'm sure there will be the inevitable love/hate fights over the film.

We have to wait all the way until October for Transformer Prime toys.

Some fans will just not have the sort of budget for third party products.

On a personal note my wallet is going to take a beating and I'm having to think about adding new shelves to the house.

On the bright side.

Third party companies have really been picking up their game so if you can afford it then it looks like you will be getting something really nice for your money.

If the Classics style figures do reach retailers at last people will be able to add some really nice figures to their collection for cheap.

If movie toys are your thing then there will be plenty to chose from and collect.

Bot Con should have some really cool stuff to show off this year since Toy Fair let them focus on the movie toys instead of having to pull out everything. Should be exciting to see which figures are shown for the first time.

Transformers Prime seems to be doing good in the ratings so with a show that can stick around for a while that should be a source of new toys for a while to come. Should be a good platform for toys that have a mix of looks from different lines.

Seems like Transformers is becoming a brand with lots of choices so if there is something you don't like you can just skip it and focus on the things that appeal to you.

14. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

My heart is happy. My wallet is hurting.

I started collecting again last year after a 5 year histus and I've found good stuff from movie lines, classics lines, 3rd parties, and some old G1 figures as well.

Aside from the 3rd party stuff I've been smart and found good prices but this is the most broke I've been in a looooong time. But it's been worth it and I know next year things are gonna be slowing down again and I can start saving for important stuff.