Great news...(not)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by General Magnus, Dec 12, 2008.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Just found out that my grandpa has Alzeihmer...ain´t that great? I honestly dunno what to do or say. I don´t really want to know more and I am trying to pretend like this is not hapening. Just trying to ignore the hole situation.

Fuck, seing a person slowly die out like this scares the fuck out of me. The worst part is that i have no reaction. I don´t feel anything, dunno what´s wrong with me. I know I should be worried about my grandpa, but honestly what can I do?

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

The cool thing is now he can cheat on his wife with his wife.

Crude joke, I know. But I'm watching my mom slowly die and sometimes it's the only thing that gets me by.

3. General Magnus

I know dude. It´s inevitable. There´s nothing I can do. It´s sad tho, my grandpa used to be a very active person for his age and now...

4. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

My grandmother had that, and it was a slow sad death. Even before she was diagnosed I knew that something was wrong when she didn't want to play cards.

I wish the best for you and your family during this trying time. It may not be easy for you to be there for him, but you need to be.

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I'm sorry dude. My grandfather died of it also. The worst is the slow erosion of mind and body. First, comes the nursing home. Then, the hospital and then...Thankfully, I had started college during his worst years so didn't see him often and at his worst.

Though, this one time right before he died in the hospital he thought I was him when we were speaking for the final time (we look alot alike obviously). A very strange and surreal experience I must say.

6. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    My grandma too, it may sounds cruel but I am glad that she passed away 4 months ago.

As much as I dislike her for private reasons, she loves me the most among her grandchildren, I had mixed feeling till today.

7. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

My great grandparents had it. My Grandpa was diagnosed with it last year, after several years of confusion and the like. We changed his doctor, and the new doctor re-diagnosed. He was overmedicated. It's worth checking in to.

8. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

My Grampa died a couple of years ago (day before my birthday, even). But before that, he'd been hospitalized for about 2 months straight. During which I only visited him once, about the first week he'd been admitted. After that, I really just couldn't stand to see him like that. But yeah, when my Dad had called me saying that he had passed I... just could not cry. My Grampa just died, yeah, but I was happy, or- well... relieved. No more hard hospital beds, no more ivs and breathing tubes, no more. He's done with this place, moved on.

By the time the funeral came around, yeah, I cried my ass off. I was putting my Grampa in the ground. The guy who was always the one to take me on a Greyhound bus to Seattle for Dentist appointment when I lived in Mount Vernon with them. The guy who always brought me back a bag of Pike Place Market donuts (still my favorite) every time he took the bus there.

But you lose your grandparents, it's an inevitablilty. I mean, I'm 25 and I only have one grandparent left. That's why you don't know how to feel about it General Magnus. Because you're conflicted between emotion and logic.

I say, let logic win right now. Because if you've only just found out that he's got Alzheimer's, then you've still got time at least. My other Grandmother had demetia, so I know how that degradation goes. But try to make what you can out of what time is left. That way, you don't go regretting having not seen your Grampa before not being able to again.

9. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    This.

Its not worth it or helpful worrying about what you cannot do or cannot change. But you can help support him and have no regrets.

--Moony

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Sorry to hear about the news. Hope for the best of luck and health for your Grandfather in the coming years.

11. General Magnus