Great Mouse Detective.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Optimus_Prowl, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    Does anyone remember this movie? And if so parts stuck out the most to you in your mind from just reminicing about it.

This is both an appreciation thread and a research thread as I need to know what parts are the most important in the movie what scenes will identify with most as I might be trying to design an attraction for disneyland around it. It's just an idea and not much more at the moment.

2. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Oh wow. You took it back. :) 

I loved this movie. One of my favorite parts when was Olivia was going on about something, and Basil couldn't take it any more.

"PLEEEAASSEEE....quite." :lol 

The battle at Big Ben was fantastic, though.

3. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    Ditto

4. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Vincent Price as Ratigan was always my favorite part of this movie, and it's clear he had loads of fun with the role --it was one of his favorites, in fact.
    Gotta love how the death trap was not only set to go off after his own song (~good bye, so soon~) finished playing, but it was also set to take a picture right when the heroes would've died!

And the bat Fidget was entertaining, too. A small scene I love is when Basil, looking for Olivia, finds a disguised Fidget, who turns around and does this weird little kissy-face.

It's a shame how under-appreciated this movie is.

5. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I remember seeing this as a kid at a friend's birthday party. One thing that stuck in my head was Ratigan's airship, that becomes a sort of peddle-powered helicopter at the end.

It's a decent movie, but nothing exceptional. I think it'd lend itself to DTV sequels a lot easier than some of those old classics they had no business making sequels of.

6. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

I'd say the most memorable are several of the major locations in the movie. Basil's study, Ratigan's headquarters, the seedy port bar with the shapely Can-Can dancing mice, etc.

7. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    The one scene I still vividly remember about that movie.

8. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    oh snap!!!

i remember this movie!!

now I gotta go watch it :p 

thanks!

9. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    I think I'm gonna be using alot of this stuff as scene design. Thanks guys, if anyone has anymore ideas keep posting them. I'll let you know. :D 

10. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh my gosh! That was him!!! :eek: 

Oh yeah the one where the detective gave up on himself then regained his confidence just in time to get out of the trap, that was pretty, okay, but a good story moment.

I too like the Big Ben fight scene, even if Ratigan creeped the loving crap out of me. I'd better watch the movie again, for some reason my ever useful memory of TV/movies is failing on me...

jD001

11. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Fun is one thing, but Vincent is chewing the scenery with complete and utter unrestrained GLEE and hamming it up like fucking champ: and Ratigan was all the better for it.

Which in itself is a very nice tip of the hat to Studio Ghibli's 'Castle of Cagliostro'. This does not detract from it being on Disney Animations greatest setpieces.

This movie needs more love.

12. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I still haven't seen this movie yet.

13. Skyswipe

Skyswipe Favorite store on Citadel

Oh man, this thread caused so many childhood memories to reappear! I loved this show, watched it a lot when I was a kid. Always liked how Basil got into his devastated state.

14. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Castle of Cagliostro?

*Googles*

OH! That.

Never did watch it fully, might have to now.

15. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

Is there anyone here who was raised in the 80's like me who saw this on the big screen back in 86?

I did when i was 5 years old in the cool summer of 86 about 4 times, i had a few of the stuff like a stuffed Basil from Disneyland, i had coloring books of it, a storybook and a readalong book with cassette. I even went to Disneyland that summer and hugged Basil and Dawson.

It's a shame it never came out on video the next year as i would ask my city's video stores if it will ever come to video but they didn't know and i was sad. It took 7 years to come to video, then in 92 it came back to theaters and i saw it again when i was 10 years old, i even got the CD soundtrack and got it on video that year for christmas.

One of my top 21 disney movie faves! i like how they portrayed Ratigan with the voice of Vincient Price, great animation, stunning finale that harkens to Cogliostro and i had a big crush on Miss Kitty the stripper mouse as a kid that even my dad who took me on opening day thought she was preety, i still like her.