Gratuity and Tipping servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UltraMagnus2008, Oct 5, 2010.

1. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    Your thoughts and comments? I worked in a restaurant for the last year and a half and It was one of the worst jobs I've ever had due to a number of reasons ranging from corporate rules and structuring, management and lastly non-tippers. There are a lot of people that think most restaurants pay their employees at least minimum wage, and thats only true in some states and restaurants that are privately owned. Servers (myself included) usually only make 2.15 an hour and that all goes to covering taxes. We would hit overtime at the end of the week 48 hours+ and never see anything for it. I'm not looking for a pity party here. I chose to apply there because I had never done it before and wanted to try it. I just want people to be more aware, servers usually bust their asses to get by and are taken advantage of more than is fair. Im not delusional about it this either, if you give bad service you deserve little to absolutely no tip, but this is 2010 and there are still people out there that somehow in their upbringing were never taught the rules of the road.
    Well what do you think? What do you base your tipping on? I am an open book of info on my restaurant and since I no longer work there I can say screw that place :) 

2. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    When I went to NYC I was uber reluctant to tip as much as I was told, I disliked the fact that it was my fault that someone has a job where their employers under pay them. It's like one giant guilt trip.

I do tip. I just hate that it's expected.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  3. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I always tip at least 20%. I mean you are waiting on me because, lets face it, I was too lazy to cook that night and wanted someone to do it for me. Even take out food, I give a small tip. Laugh at that if you want, but over the years, the pizza place I go to and the chinese place have been very, very generous (Hey we had this large meat pizza the person ordered and didnt pick up. You want it?)

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i tip 15-20% (20% is easier to calculate, though.)

But a tip from me isn't guaranteed. i have been in a few places where i have not left a tip.
    i refused to tip after spending 90 minutes in a Waffle House and never getting a single refill on drinks for me or the other 3 people with me.

The worst was the time i ordered a meal and the server did not even give me silverware. after not being able to get her attention, i left my uneaten food on the table and walked out. i left $1.75 on the table for the one glass of soda i had.

as for generous tipping, any server who is psychically aware and puts out refills before i need one, that doesn't wait till i have a jaw full of food to ask "you need anything?", they get extra.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I only tip if the staff go 'above and beyond'. For instance, I generously tip pizza delivery guys who brave heavy rain to get to my house and waiters/waitresses who voluntarily refill my empty glasses.

6. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I usually tip 20% also.

I used to work with a guy and he used to be a waiter at a Outback Steakhouse and he told me that he had to quit. Customers wasn't leaving enough tips.

7. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

yeah working as a waiter,the companies take advantage.

when I was 18 years old. I got a job as a waiter at a italian weddding place.

each waiter only got paid $28 for the day. but the owner wanted all waiters to put in around 14 hour shifts. that consisted of setting up 4 hours before the party started. serving 7 hours during the party. then staying after the party & putting everything back which took about 3 hours.

needless to say I only did the job for one day. as I personally calculated I & others were being taken advantage of & it was illegial job pratices created by the owner. $28 dollars divided by 14 hours barely came to $2 dollars per hour.

to make matters worse. people give the bartenders tips at these wedding places. not the waiters. i'm sure the people intend for the tips to be split between the waiter & bartender. but the owners don't care & let the bartenders keep all the tips. the waiter has a much harder job than a bartender. as all the bartenders do is stand around at a mini bar serving drinks. it's way harder to wait on 5 tables at a wedding place consisting of 40+people. then carrying food back & forth for 6+hours. then setting up before & putting everything back afterwards.

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On the rare occasion that I eat at a restaurant, I usually tip somewhere between 15 - 20%; on the higher end of that scale if the service is good, on the lower end if it's mediocre. Bad service drops my tips down into the 10% range, but I don't think I've ever had an instance where things were so dire that I didn't leave a tip at all. I'm not keen on the idea that a gratuity is just automatically expected (IMO, if I'm paying a little extra, the server should have put in extra effort to earn it), but I'm cognizant of how the pay scale in the industry works, so it's not that much of a bother.

Besides waitrons, the only people to whom I give tips are pizza delivery drivers and cab drivers, and that's rare since I don't use either of those services very often. I don't tip anyone else since I either don't use those services (bartenders, valets, etc) or don't think they should get tips anyway (fast food clerks, baristas, hairdressers, etc).

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

[​IMG]

10. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Was just thinking that twin twist..lol

I tip, when the service is really good, I couldn't imagine being a waiter/waitress. Its has to be a very hard job. Also if you tip well, the waiter/waitress will remember you the next time you come in, and you will always get better treatment.....

11. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I always tip minimum 20%. If the service is very good, I'll tip higher. If it's exceptional (food is cooked exceptionally well, food is served in a reasonable time, service is friendly, never have an empty glass, don't try and push upsells or special too hard) I'll tip at least 35% and make mention of it as I leave the restaurant. I know how hard it can be for servers and restaurant workers in general. Dealing with a hungry public can be a nightmare, especially when 70% of your income is based on tips.

Some workers recognize me when I come into restaurants that treat me well. They know I tip well and go out of their way because of it. You take care of me and I'll take care of you.

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I keep my cash close. There are only a few restaurants locally where I tip graciously, and that's because I'm a regular there.

13. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I tend to tip 15-20%. I will only tip less if there's something that's obviously the server's fault. Food coming out slow from the kitchen doesn't upset me if the waiter comes and lets me know what the problem is. OTOH, if they don't come and tell me, and I'm waiting 45 minutes for food with no explanation...bad waiter, no tip- or a minimal tip, like 50 cents, which shows I didn't forget your tip, you just didn't earn one.

When I worked at a movie theatre in Columbus, we would get bonuses of free tickets to give to friends and family so they could see movies with us. As most of my friends got in free with me anyway, I would sometimes ask the waiter if that was acceptable as a tip to them. Since it was a $5-$7 ticket for a $15 meal, most were happy to accept.

14. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.

I'm not going to give people more money JUST for doing their job. However, if there is an "added value"/extra effort element, then I'll probably tip.

But I also hate when it's expected - I've even seen some people hold their hands out! (more so in America than here in the UK). Unbelievable. Those folk never get anything.

15. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I try at least 20% if the service is satisfactory. That means the waiter/waitress refills my drink without me asking, and even when the service isn't that good she apologizes. My brother is an awesome tipper though. He'll usually go at least 30%+ for decent service. Only seen him tip 20% once, and that was on bad service :lol  My tipping for the most part is due to how well s/he handles my refills. I drink a lot of diet coke, so I feel bad when they're always there refilling it.

16. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All depends on where you are. When I go to NYC I do the 20% thing - I'm not hurting for money and serving staff get paid miserably so why not?

17. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I tip what i feel is appropriate for the service given, which is usually 15% will be more if the wait staff is outstanding. I do not give my business to establishments that tell you how much to tip. Thats my call not the owner or managers.

Aslo i have always felt that waiters and waitresses should be paid at least minimum wage + tips as it unfair in my opinion not to.

18. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

We tip whatever we feel the waitress/waiter deserves that time.
    Hate to say it, but you've gotta earn that tip. I don't think I would survive working as a waiter.

19. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    I think the only reason it is expected comes down to what the word tips means, "to insure proper service". Im not sure what the whole history of where tipping comes from is, not that smart but it is a job and people have to get paid somehow. My opinion was always that if they are coming out to eat and are morally sound people there is no reason why they shouldnt tip you, unless you mess up.
    Now something else that should be brought up and I dont think people realize it there is usually a 2-3 strike policy for walk outs, what does that mean? If you are unhappy with everything and ditch on the meal, even if you leave some money you have left the server with 2 options. 1 They have to cover the cost of the meal out of their money, which they deserve most of the time, but there are assholes out there that think this is ok and abuse it. 2 They can tell their manager and he will comp the meal but that server will now be getting written up, if it happens 2-3 more times (depending on the restaurant) they are fired, immediately. This is kinda f***** up when you have a party of 30-40 people for NFL sunday some people have too much to drink and when the tabs are brought out they think their friends are paying for everything ( cause its all about them) Coupled with the people that do this regularly its not hard to get fired within a month or two of your having your job. In short pay for your food! If the service was bad dont tip, that is the best way to get back to someone, and if you really hate them leave em a note of why they arent getting tipped,or talk to the manager.

20. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I double my tax and call it a tip, usually.

HOWEVER, what I find ridiculous, is when a restaurant ALWAYS expects tips, even if the service is bad. If we talk about in the "old days" how people have more manners and know to give tips, we should also talk about that in the "old days", you can give a penny for someone who has crappy service as an insult.

Nowadays, tips is much less (or even no longer) a reward for a job well done or an insult for a job poorly done. It is simply an "extra payment upon dining". Restaurants charge tips ON THEIR BILLS?! WTF? if your service is bad, why should I pay as you charge?