Grand Convoy Super Mode Model Kit

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alung, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Alung

Alung Lazybot

News Credits:
    Anyone have or had the Grand Convoy Super Mode model kit? How is it quality wise? I'm thinking of purchasing one but reviews and pictures of it are scarce. If anyone has pictures of it, please post it. Appreciate it, thanks!

2. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I assume you mean Takara Plakit Grand Convoy?
    Autobase Aichi

I have one somewhere, but it is very small. I personally prefer Kabaya DX Transformer (the one on the left in the last picture) because he's more solid and no assembly required. I'm lazy.

3. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Like Syd said, the Plakit model is cool, but small. I kinda enjoyed the challenge of putting it together. However, I tend to be kinda biased. I think anything Optimus Prime related is cool. So take my input with a grain of salt!

Here's a couple (crappy) pictures of mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope that helps you out!

4. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You did a great job putting him together! Can he shoot those orange balls, I must have lost them a long time ago... I don't remember them at all :( 

5. Alung

Alung Lazybot

News Credits:
    Thanks for the pictures guys! It is indeed small but it looks great. Might have to pick it up...

6. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    It's a piece of crap in all honesty. You really need to paint it in order to look good, it has little to no articulation, it's not a perfect transformation kit by any means...if you find it for cheap and want to experiment, go for it though.

7. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Everything Knightdramon said is true, except that it's a piece of crap. :thumb  It's true that the articulation is limited, and that the only details are the stickers which you have to apply yourself, and that certain pieces (the head for example) have to be removed during transformation making it at least partially a parts-former.

But the ingenuity that went into making this little model kit, which has to be simple enough that you can put it together yourself but still look like the orginal, and which still manages to transform despite it's small size and limited complexity is pretty impressive in my opinion. Is it a perfect representation of Grand Convoy? No. Does it do a reasonable job given it's size and relative cost? I would have to say yes.

Yeah, he can shoot the little orange balls from his gun. They can be loaded (on at a time) into the barrel of the gun. Pull back on the larger part of the barrel and the orange ball shoots out!

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I got the Grand Convoy & Grand Scourge kits at the same time; the Kabaya one edges it out in terms of detail and size, but I found it a lot of fun to put together and sticker up. If you can get it cheap, I'd say go for it; personally I hope Takara do more stuff like it.

9. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have the "scourge" version, or whatever its called; it's actually my first TF model kit. I lost interest about halfway through, but finished it anyway. Kinda fun, but not something I would really care to do again.

Since it can be purchased for next to nothing, I'd say try one out if you've never done it before.

EDIT: Yep, Scourge is the right name... thanks Draven.