Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Impressions

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Picked it up Yesterday (the Disc Version with a cool little documentary on the series).

Bought a Ford Focus, and hit the tracks. The first thing I enjoyed was that there was a bit more organization to the races I could race and the requirements for the ones I couldn't (including a list of cars required to participate). This is probably due to the fact that this is a preview to a bigger game with an ass-load of more races, and I will get confused once I get the full game, but for this game, it's nice not having to flip through menues of races until I find the one that I can participate in.

I don't even have to mention the graphics because any screenshot will show that this game shines.

The physics and control has been finessed from the Japanese demo I downloaded months ago, and controlling a drift seems a bit easier. The interior view is awesome, but it takes a little to get used to since you can't see everything around you (like in a real car), but the sense of speed in this view is fantastic, and it's nice to have multiple rearview mirrors to see who you can cut off.

I won't fault the game for lack of damage, because I never wanted damage and I hope the patch that's coming this Fall (to add damage) is optional, because I play Burnout to see my car screwed up, and I play GT to marvel at their beauty despite a few bangs on the race track.

I love the new Daytona track because you really get to pick up speed, and in my shiny Ford Focus, that's quite a feat, hehe.

It's obviously nowhere near as robust or HUGE as GT4, but this is an extensive demo, and while it's 40 bucks, you do get a lot for that.

Haven't been online yet (embarrassed of my little ride), but I do want to check out the "Myspace type deal they have"

Oh and as far as I can tell, no customizable sound track, which got a huge WTF from me because we are in the year 2008, and I love cranking my own music to my races, not some hippie music they chose. Get with the program Polyphony.

2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

it does look nice...

not been into driving sims since GT a-spec really, and i have forza 2 knocking around somewhere otherwise i'd be more tempted.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Looks nice, is pretty dull though in the end. Forza is frontloaded with cool shit, like the livery editor which kept my interest for a good while, but as the races got harder and became more technical I got more and more bored.

GT is kinda similar, except without the frontloaded awesome of editing liveries.

:( 

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am going to totally claim Snobiness on this and say that since I have played GT since day one, I like what it is. I don't want to add spoilers or decals to my cars, I want to drive the actual vehicle that I could buy at a dealership (had I the money), and I reserve all the decking out and polishing (externally) for games like NFS and the arcade racing for Gotham and Burnout. Thus, there is no real place for Forza for me. Because while it is a great racer, the controls feel like they are going for simulator, but they just come off as floaty, and so to me (ie. snobby) it somewhat suffers from identity crisis. It's a simulator that doesn't really simulate the feel of the actual car (my celica in GT4 drives like my Celica in real life), and while all the added bells and whistles are cool, I can get those from other games, so GT is my way to drive cars that I own or have wanted to own, and only tweak their guts, Burnout is my Romping ground, and NFS is my decorative game.

5. McBradders

NFS? You side with EA at a time like this?

Shame on you good sir. Shame.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well if you will believe me on this. I have not played a NFS since the Game Boy SP version (and I only bought it because I was curious about SP's ability to display 3D graphics). My only racer recently has been Burnout (Which is still EA :(  ) and Wipeout, which has nothing to do with anything, heheh, and still playing GT4. I did rent Forza, and I appreciate their effort. IT's a SOLID game, but I'm just a snob. Guilty, no denying it. I don't want to see my car bent up, and I don't care to deck it out. I just want it to handle like the real thing.

7. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have NFS Carbon everything after is crap. Before Carbon the only thing worth a purchase was Hot Pursuit. I agree I have Burnout and NFS for customizing my ride. I buy GT for the realistic feel and graphics. Of course this is my opinion yours my differ. I am glad to her GT Pro. is decent I will buy the disc version as well I don't really have a lot of room on my hard drive now.

8. kasper0v

kasper0v Well-Known Member

no damage = lame

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah, I agree with you, and the Disc version is cool because of saved space, but also that little documentary it comes with is really nice for GT fans. I had forgotten how dated GT1 looks and how GT3 and 4 still look very nice even by today's standards.

10. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I did not like Carbon. I just couln't get into it. I had GT3 and played it for a while, but I think I get tired of the realistic physics, I just get to a point where I suck too much to play anymore.

I was really impressed with the graphics on the Demo for GT5, but the lack of custom soundtrack is a deal breaker, especially for $40. I'll just wait for GTA4 and spend my money on that.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    no

Actually in the same way Joe made some suggestion for Guitar Hero,

I would like to see the final GT5 implemented into Home, if and when it ever comes out.

It would be awesome if through GT5 you could have a display garage in your home, as well as stream replays into your virtual LCD in your home, and have images from replays scattered throughout the house. IF invited to an online game, it would be cool if you could pick your ride from your garage in you HOME, and jump right in.

12. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    That would be cool. Or drive from your place to friends places to show them your cars. Or drive to a car show or something. Limitless options, really.

13. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am beta testing HOME and I don't think that this is an option. For now anyways they are (SCEE) having issue with screen tearing and lag now. Plus I think something like a car from GT5 would stick out like a sore thumb. I think something like a GT5 trophy case you could display in your apartment. I also think screenshots! saved from the game as displayed as a poster on your wall. That tech is already used in HOME as I have personal pictures displayed on my apartment wall now. I hear Warhawk is releasing a 3d tabletop map to plan out your clans match. I think something along the lines of a model of you top winning car. I am hoping Nascar 09 does something with home this year. I would like to show off all the trophies from all the different tracks.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That sounds AWESOME especially the warhawk thing. Hopefully Resistance 2 and Killzone apply the same features.

15. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    so is there any customize of the cars in this game (IE: adding of parts and tweeking of suspension ) my firend got it the other day and said their are aftermarket manu. in the game but you can only get their demo cars.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As far as I can tell, there is no tweaking, aside from the tires you use. That are probably still working on that for the final game.

edit: It would be nice if Polyphony made the release of GT5 an organic situation where they gradually patch the game with new cars and tracks, as well as tweaks, and eventually the downloads catch up to the full game and it is released at the same time. Naturally they couldn't give the patches for free and then charge people 60 bucks for the final game and 40 bucks for prolog, but maybe only the major updates would be charged for, and the final price would equal the extra 20 one would pay for the full game. (ie. Tweaking and customizing for 5 bucks in the Fall, and new cars for 5 bucks, new tracks for 5 bucks, and extras for 5 = the 20 bucks more people would spend on the full game)

17. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    crosses fingers and toes but some how I doubt it.

18. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I actually just started on Forza a few days ago. The most realistic racer I had played was PGR4 so it was a huge adjustment for me, so far I am digging it.

I want to get Prologue but I am a little disappointed at the car selection and the customization options but I still will probably snag it soon. Gonna play a little more Forza first though ;) 

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was very dissapointed to see that Toyota was missing from the roster, especially since the demo had the Celica Rally car. I'm sure Toyota will find its way into the final game, but right now I'm stuck with Ford (Though the GT is nice), and Suzuki.

I just remembered a reason why Forza was cool... People putting out Autobots with the customize tool.

20. McBradders

:lol  adding a car won't magically make any of those issues any worse.