Grail, Dream & Regret Toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by G1 Evac, Apr 28, 2017.

1. G1 Evac

G1 Evac 1984 roller coaster car

News Credits:
    The Prime Wars Trilogy toyline has been extremely good at giving me figures I wanted for a long time, I wonder what are veryone's hopes and desires being a TF fan in this golden age?

What were your Holy Grail, Dream Figure and Biggest Regret toys? And have you filled that hole in your collection or still waiting?

A Holy Grail would be a toy that exists, but out of your reach for some reason.
    A Dream Figure would be a toy you wish existed but didn't at the time.
    Biggest Regret would be a toy you could own but passed on it, only to want it when it's not available anymore.

My Grail, Dream & Regret...

Holy Grail - Fortress Maximus
    Wanted one when I was a kid but could never afford it.
    Status: Got the Titans Return Fort Max and I couldn't feel any more accomplished!

Dream Figure - Headmaster Optimus Prime
    My favourite toy when I was a kid was Powermaster Optimus Prime. But I never liked the Powermasters, much prefer Headmasters. Always wished there was a Headmaster version of Optimus Prime.
    Status: Got the Titans Return Optimus Prime (Takara) and it's a dream come true!

Biggest Regret - Pretender Grimlock
    I had a choice in the toy store for a gift, and I picked Pretender Bumblebee over Pretender Grimlock for I don't know what reason, only to decide later that a T-rex is way cooler. Pretender Grimlock went off the shelves no matter how many times I went back to the toy store to check, and I've always wished I picked the dinosaur over the beetle ever since.
    Status: Still waiting for a Generations update, from POTP maybe? I don't know about getting the G1 though, as an adult the toy looks too basic and the shell looks too chubby...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. NegatronDave

NegatronDave Well-Known Member

Holy Grail
    MP-10 EVA
    This figure represents a lot for me as it combines two shows that I am deeply interested in. I only want one MP-10 figure and the EVA deco is the one. I still have yet to get this figure.

Dream Figure
    A G1 Prime in the EVA deco. Trailer and all. They've done BAPE G1 reissues so why not the EVA deco?

Biggest Regret
    MP-10 EVA
    Yeap this guy again. I didn't jump on him when he was released due to not having the spare cash. His announcement was followed by a lot of people claiming that he was an awful repaint and a wasted release. So I thought the demand was low and that I could pick him up later.

Nope! Sold out extremely quickly and then the aftermarket price was at best, double the original price.

Now I'm finding it very difficult to justify the price.

3. AMG

AMG Old School

No grail.

Dream bot: Titan class Unicron.

Regret: Missing out on Combiner Wars Devastator at retail price.

• Like Like x 2
  4. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

Grail: Don't have one

Dream bot: A 3rd party Rack 'N Ruin

Regret: Buying MP Ironhide & Ratchet as a bid to give the overly Sunbow accurate design aesthetic a chance. I resold both in about 5 days and decided not to bother with any more G1 stuff from Takara.

• Like Like x 1
  5. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    grail = botcon predacus and tfcc wreckage: as much as i love combiner wars, i'm unable to afford $400+ for a single combiner, and it breaks my heart....

dream = i always wanted an autobot beast combiner like predaking, with grimlock serving as the torso. i didn't know that there were other dinobots asa kid, so i thought other animals would work...

regret = titan metroplex: i had a choice between him and galactus....if only i knew i'd find galactus a few months later for $20 in walmart....

6. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    Holy Grail
    MISB/AFA G1 Sideswpie, Jazz, Wheeljack or Smokecreen...
    But I'd be thrilled with almost any S1-S3 MISB/AFA guys. I just can't stomach the ~$1000 for a nice one. While I've accumulated the majority of my personal G1 treasures, There's something about a perfect, preserved classic that still has that sense of "lightning in a bottle." The composition of a boxed G1 figure with the gorgeous packaging, mesmerizing box art, and with figure sealed in a bubble, set back a bit in a tantalizing way from the box's display window... it's beautiful and meaningful to me.

I do currently have a MISB/AFA Pointblank that is a treasure. I feel good knowing that I have that in my life...I still wish for an example from an earlier series.

Dream Figure
    I always wished that the 1996-1998 style Beast Wars line (by 1999/TMII, things started to stink, IMO) featured a whale or an octopus. You could tell that by the time BW Neo came around, they were scraping the barrel for well known animal types...why didn't they come back to those? No, I don't count the Orca playset nor the Takko tank. Thanks.

Biggest Regret
    That I never learned to read.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Grail: Wonderfest Shockwave kit. It was sold out everywhere before I even knew it existed. Can't find it anywhere now.

Dream Figures: TransTech. Loved the designs, and the protos looked awesome.

(Only) Regret: letting an ex girlfriend's brother borrow my minty complete G1 Jetfire years ago for engineering design class, then never getting it back when we broke up.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Holy Grail: 2016 Botcon Beast Wars Megatron. I wanted that figure for years and it was finally made into reality. I couldn't make it to Botcon and had hoped it would be on some online store afterwards. Instead it was gone before the event was over and the prices are too much for me.

I could had done so many amazing outdoor pictures with it....

Dream Figure:
    It was Masterpiece Beast Wars Dinobot, but that's happening now. I've lost count how many times I've dreamt of holding one in a store and wake up annoyed at the then nonexistent figure in the display case.

Biggest Regret:
    Getting Armada Smokescreen. I've seen the figure in different flea markets/thrift stores over the years. Never bothered to get one but thought it looked cool. Then one day I got it and the Minicon partner Liftor at an antique store.

Liftor was amazing as far as Minicons go. But Smokescreen though.... The lack of articulation annoyed me greatly. I have G1 figures that destroys him in that category.

9. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great thread.

Holy Grail
    : I don't have one for Transformers. Either that, or I already got it, haha.

Dream Figure: A Godzilla Transformer. One that doesn't just curl up into an egg-like shape. Never gonna happen, because Toho is very picky about who gets the rights to make Godzilla things, but that would be it for me.

Biggest Regret: back when I couldn't justify the cost of an MP figure and told myself that I would never buy MPs, I had an opportunity to pick up MP-10 (with trailer and everything), brand new, at Toys R Us, with a coupon. Told myself it was too expensive. The price: $80. Been kicking myself ever since.

10. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Biggest Regret: back when I couldn't justify the cost of an MP figure and told myself that I would never buy MPs, I had an opportunity to pick up MP-10 (with trailer and everything), brand new, at Tous R Us, with a coupon. Told myself it was too expensive. The price: $80. Been kicking myself ever since.

This.

Another regret was overpaying for mp-12/mp-14 when aftermarket prices surged to almost $200 for these before they were unceremoniously reissued.

Grail: Mp-36

Dream: Masterpiece Bruticus

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  11. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Sad Derpfester Noises

News Credits:
    Holy Grail: This one is a tough one but I'd probably have to go with Botcon 2006 Waspinator. I loved the character and for a time actually tried to get every version, but gave that up since there's just no way I can justify the insane prices he goes for.

Dream Figure
    : Voyager Apeface. Apeface always has been picked on at being the worse of the two Horrorcons. Well it's time for him to finally get a descent figure.

Biggest Regret
    : G2 Blue Grimlock easily. Had many many opportunities to get him but something else always caught younger mes eye. Before you know it were in that gap between G2 and BW and there's not a Grimlock to be found anywhere.

12. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    My grails that I've been able to obtain are botcon 2001 transmetal tigatron
    Arms micron Leo prime w/renderform lio knight head
    Fortress Maximus (thanks to titans return)

Dream figure would be any update to tigatron or tigerhawk be it official or 3p

Biggest regret is not picking up perfect effects leonidas, although now I have a choice of two between the rerelease and the ko

13. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    My grail and regret were both G1 Fortress Maximus.

He was my grail and I spent ~$700 over a few months putting one together, that still wasn't quite complete and had issues.

3 weeks later the reissue was announced.

:confused: 

• Like Like x 1
  14. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Grail-Right now my Grails are TR Sky Shadow, TR Octane, Nightbird and NURID15 Stormshot. Ones that I've been able to obtain are CW Sunstreaker, Generations Windblade, G1 Mixmaster and TR Astrotrain.

Dream-Generations Sideswipe, NURID15 Glowstrike, Filch, Polar Claw and bringing Quick Shadow into the show and toyline.

Regrets-These are mostly down to terrible distribution. When CW started I never saw a single Constructicon in stores here. Our stores started out with a half-assed release of the Stunticons. Never saw Wild Rider released either. It was just Dragstrip, Dead End and Motor Master.

I never saw RB Quick Shadow anywhere. Shame on you Hasbroken!

Never had a chance at grabbing Brainstorm. Booo! Sob!

I do regret not getting the original Barricade and Black Out when I had the chance, I saw them but at the time, stuck my nose up at movie formers.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  15. G1 Evac

G1 Evac 1984 roller coaster car

News Credits:
    Or grail done twice :) 

16. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    Holy Grail: Darksyde Megatron/Waspinator. Got 'em in the world's luckiest eBay find a couple months ago, still blink at them sometimes and go, "well okay."

Dream Figure: Adult me would have, until a couple months ago, said Nautica. Childhood me would have, until a couple months ago, said a new version of either Doublecross or Computron, because those were my favorites as a kid. Not gonna lie, it's, uh... it's been a pretty good year for me as Transformers go.

I could still use a Rung?

Biggest Regret: Assuming I had a lot more time to fill in the gaps on my Beast Wars collection before aftermarket prices crept up.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Another grail of mine I am unlikely to ever get an official version of (custom maybe) would be botcon 2016 combiner wars/transmetal 3 megatron, love the figure and design and history of the concept, I just can't justify the current prices on him

• Like Like x 1
  18. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    No Holy Grail yet - but if I was to ever obtain CW Sky Lynx that would be it.

Dream Figure: War Within Vibes - thanks to my fan fiction and how big of a role she plays in it I really want a Vibes figure... Heck I wish we could get more War Within TF figures.

Biggest Regret: Hmmm, lets go with Crossovers Ghost Rider. Passed him up for HFTD Elita One, big mistake that figure is crap.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    Dude's got him up on eBay MISB for $31 shipped right now. For a $25 figure, that's not awful.

• Like Like x 1
  20. atomD21

atomD21 Not made of sterner stuff...

Grail: MP-10. I know that he's not hard to find, but I just never seem to have the money free and clear. One day, Prime, one day...

Dream: Well it used to be a new Topspin and Twintwist, but thanks Hasbro! Now I'd probably have to say an official Impactor figure with IDW styling. He just looks so awesome and I can't currently afford the 3rd party rendition.

Regret: I wasn't really collecting at the time, but I wish I had snagged the Prime Deluxes when Five Below had them. So many awesome figures that I missed out on without even realizing it...