GRAAAAAGGGGGHHH!! (Xbox 360 related)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Blackstar, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Blackstar

Blackstar Aaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! TFW2005 Supporter

So tonight, I get home after a long day, looking forward to some Crackdown, and I turn on my 360, sit back, and start the game. I start at the Agency, grab an SUV, and head down tunnel 3 toward the Shai-Gen, when all of a sudden, my game hangs up. I turn off the box, then start it up again.

Doesn't even make it past the rotating X logo.

So, I turn it off, let it sit for a few minutes, and then try again. Same thing. 2 more tries, and the same thing.

Finally, on the third try, it doesn't even go to that screen and I get it.....3 red lights of death.

I'm so pissed off. This is my second Xbox 360, and they haven't even refunded my money from the last time I sent it off yet. Guess I'll be calling the repair service tomorrow.

Crap.

2. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    This is why I haven't bought a next gen system yet.

Still happy with my PS2! It's been running fine since the day I bought it back in 2003!

*back on topic*

Well, I will probably buy a PS3 because after hearing from my friends(who own 360's and X-Boxes) they've all had either system crap out on them multiple times. Not to mention that guy on ign who's on his SEVENTH 360!

Plus, if I ever had a system crap out on me (never had though, not even good ol' NES!) I would be totally flippin' pissed!

Sorry to hear about your loss man. I really wish you the best of luck in getting it replaced and getting your $$$ back. Don't worry, it's not the end of the world.

3. Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill Slackers unite...tomorrow

You know, the rate that I hear of 360's crapping out only after months to a year after purchase, I wonder how many working systems there will be 10 or 15 years after the consoles release. You can easily find working NES, SNES, or Genesis systems to this day, but what about the 360?

Perhaps I should purchase one, never open or use it, then sell it for large sums of money a decade or two from now when working ones are only a legend.

Or not.

4. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

My friend is on his 4th 360, and he only bought his first one last September. But him and his roomate have some much dam power hoggin things in there place, they get some power sruges once and a whiel and it has friend his multipule times. Good thing he works at Best Buy and just swaps the HDD out and into a new one and not have ot wait for MS to ship a box.

5. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm attempting to get my 3rd box replaced now.

My launch day 360 did the 3 red lights around christmas, just after I finally got an hd tv to play it on.

So, after 2 messed up repair/replacement orders, about a month later I got my replacement 360. Unfortunately I got random shaky graphics at 1080i, as if it's having trouble with the vertical hold (my previous box did not have this problem). It's not constant, but seems to go in spurts. Particularly when playing graphically intensive games like gow. So I called them, they set me up for another return with no problem, and even sent me a copy of pgr3.

So, now on my third box, I set it up, play it for about 10 min, and start getting shaky graphics again. So I called them, and talked to a service rep who spent 30 min trying to convince me it was my tv that was causing the problems, despite the fact that my other xbox 360 did not have these problems, and my ps3 has no similar problems running in 1080i. She even turned around and told me they couldn't help me, and that I should phone sharp to find out about why my 360 wasn't working, and then call them back, since they had never heard of such a problem before, and couldn't tell me what to do.
    I ended up talking to their supervisor who also didn't know what to do, and so she said they could set me up for another replacement. Unfortunately though now she said they had to 'escalate' this to the quick response team, and she took my number for them to call me in the next 48 hours. That was last FRIDAY. I've yet to hear from them since. So, I'm going to email them and ask wtf is going on.

And Blackstar, if you can't get a replacement out of them, and have no choice but to buy another 360, there is a trick which involves opening the 360 up then reheating the connections inside using a heat gun that some people have had success with. It's a last resort option, but I would suggest it instead of buying a new 360 right now. I'd say wait for the new version to come out if you're going to buy a new one since the new internal setup is probably going to be more reliable than previous versions of the 360.

From what I've read, a majority of the 3 lights of death are caused due to the fact that MS doesn't solder their chips very well when they build the 360's. Instead they put little balls of solder around each connection, then dump the boards into a giant oven to melt the solder (seriously). While this is faster and cheaper than other methods, these solder points tend to crack easily, leading to connection problems, and the innevitable 3 red lights.

6. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Aw, I thought this was going to be about Warhammer.

I didn't know the 360s were made to uh, break. I expect that from Sony, but my Xbox has lasted for quite a long time. Of course, it just sits there...

7. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think they were made to break. They were just made to be be quickly, easily, and cheaply produced. Only this time cutting corners bit them in the ass. At the Purolator outlet where I keep picking up/dropping off boxes they say that they get like hundreds of these a week

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

My condolences, dude.

9. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :( 

That sucks

10. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Really does suck :(  And this is common? That's pretty lame, I was really considering getting one after all the great exclusives it's starting to build up

11. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Man, that sucks. I'm glad I only have a Wii (a one that ACTUALLY connects to the Internet via WiFi Adaptor. Had to replace the broken one with the new one, works just fine. Nintendo's customer service was nice).

As for Xbox 360's crapping out, the "Red Ring of Death" thing is EXACTLY why I stay away from those. I mean, I want one, really I do, it's just that if I ever get one, I know that right away I'm prone to it malfunctioning. If Microsoft ever makes a new version of this system, and it doesn't have any problems, I might consider. But for now, I'll hold out. BTW, I've been thinking of getting a PS3, but I'm also having fearful thoughts about that system malfunctioning also. Has anyone here ever experienced any problems with their PS3's?

12. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Wow I have never heard of anything like that befoe. Thats kinda cool sounding I wonder how they avoid frying the main board if what you say is indeed true.

13. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Bummer dude. My old NES still works so all these failing new gen consoles doesn't sit well with me.

I keep hearing more and more of these kind of stories with people going through upwards of 5 360's in a year. From all acounts the 360 is a good system, but with reports like this becoming so common at some point it's gonna hurt Mircosoft, that is unless they finally fess up to the problem and fix it (they seem to be saying that their is no design flaw, just a few random bad systems).

14. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    I only know one person who had trouble with his 360, everyone else on my board has been doing fine.

15. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    sorry to hear that. i'm counting my blessings, because i haven't had a problem yet. or maybe it's because i got the extended warranty, so the system's waiting for that to end. either way, i buy systems knowing full well there may be problems. it's just a sad fact of life for console gaming these days. my original xbox had problems. my gamecube had problems. problems don't discriminate.

16. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Yeah, tell me about it. My Xbox can play every single game in my library (25-30 strong) EXCEPT Panzer Dragoon Orta, which is one of the two main games I bought the original Xbox for at the time. So, since the only thing I really wanted to play on it in a while was PDO and it doesn't work, it just sits there. :(  At first I thought it was the game, but I got a new one and the graphics are still messed up (it does play though!?). I'd call MS, but I won't front the repairs. I hate refurbs.

As far as Xbox 360, I helped my friend get one last Spring. One year later it still works quite well, but it's loud as anything. And it's gotten a lot of use - early on Oblivion and nowadays Gears of War and Sonic. I don't know what seperates a good box from a bad one, but we always kept it in an area with lots of air and up until now, horizontally. Let's hope that it doesn't kick the bucket.

17. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    my brother got his 360, 2 weeks before it came out (won it in a contest) and not a problem yet :) 

it also gets played EVERY day, literally, most days 6 to 8 hours

are you guys standing it upright? cuz you know that blocks the air flow when you do. Keep the thing on its side at all times, and out in the open, it'll be fine! :) 

18. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

You also got to remember you hear more from the people having problems then you do with perfectly fine systems. I have a near launch system and haven't encountered any problems yet. My best friend got his a month before me and had one of the initial fuzzy screen/artifacts problems then got a replacement system which didn't have any of the Xbox Live features installed (to which MS gave him and anyone else with a system from the same plant a free controller and extra month of Live after taking two weeks to realize it was their fault).

Seems most new systems in the previous and current generation have suffered from poor//ets get it done quick manufacturing. The launch era PS2's suffered as did many launch era Xbox.

Atleast MS has made an effort to fix the problem, they just need to get their customer service out of India.

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Make sure and ask them if they have a customer retention program or something like that. I went through two 360s and I ended up getting Kameo for free on the second one.

Plus, there are some retail outlets that have a return policy that is longer than what the repairs will take.
    I will take no offense if that comment gets edited.

20. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Wow...Thats alot of bad news. I have had both my 360 and PS3 since launch and have had ZERO issues with them. I do have extended warrentys on both so I am not worried if something happens. Sorry to hear that your 360 caved. Let us know what M$ says?