GPS - Decomposing Plastic Questions?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thenatureboywoo, Apr 16, 2010.

1. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I was reading on TFwiki and another wiki site about GPS. And I noticed the part they talk about the plastic swirl. And as seeing that a toy as new as 4 years ago (Superion) has suffered from this, I wonder if they will ever solve the problem.

But anyways, if you look at ROTF leader Prime, the exhaust stacks have a silver rubbery plastic with a swirl to it's makeup, or at least mine does. And also Universe 2.0 Cyclonus was previously mentioned by someone as having silver plastic with a swirl to it. Could these be future possible toys to look out for having GPS? I have just noticed that alot of ROTF toys have silver plastic and it makes me wonder.

Anybody out here really familiar with the true causes of GPS have any take on this?

2. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    There are plenty of figures that use swirly metallic plastics in their makeup, but only the gold-swirl seems to be the one affected, for whatever reason

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well, I don't know if i'm very knowledgeable about GPS, but as a Lio Kaiser owner, it really does suck. As I mentioned in a previous thread, my first killbison was destroyed because I broke off his head trying to move Lio Kaiser's leg up.

I purchased another killbison last week but again, this toy had the exact same problem my old one did. Anyone purchasing Lio kaiser should ask if the leg connector can move all the way up.

Here are some photos of my Super Glue KB (fixing it took tons of patience) and the replacement I just sent back for a refund.

The swirl you speak of I think is on Killbison.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The rubbery plastic will be fine.

5. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Well, TM Megatron's "brown" torso has fragility issues too.

6. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    how about the gold/brown rotf breakaway variant?

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Heh, I've had ROTF Blazemaster for months and I learned that the figure is apparently a GPS candidate. I always thought the plastic was tan or light brown and didn't think it was the same as the gold plastic used during the G1 and G2 eras.

8. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    from what I heard, that's not the exact same issue as GPS, but I don't know for sure

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Rubbery plastic should be fine. Outside of Transmetal Megatron, only toys with actual plastic made from the gold swirly color can suffer from this. Black Zarak, G2 Electro, and Killbison are some of the more infamous examples, especialy Electro since most of him is made from that problematic plastic (I only know of one that even is still whole, and I've never seen pictures of it).

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Maybe not the same causes, but the same result.

11. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I'm nervous about rubbery plastic.

Some years ago I had a watch with a rubbery plastic strap. I got a new watch and the old one ended up in a drawer. Recently I was clearing out stuff and came across the old watch.

It was both shocking and kind of fun to see how readily the rubbery plastic just crumbled away.

12. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    I really hope Cybertron Galaxy Force Vector Prime and Cybertron Cannonball don't suffer from GPS.

13. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

oh snap! totally forgot about vector prime as mine's in storage. hopefully it'll stay as it is.

14. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would say yes, but who knows how long until we see signs of degradation in other plastic colors. Could be 10 years, could be 20, could be 50, who knows?

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Cybertron Vector Prime doesn't have any gold plastic. White, maroon, rubbery translucent blue (or very brittle, hard translucent blue if you've got Galaxy Force). Gold paint.

The Universe version, on the other hand might be suspect.

Cannonball doesn't seem to have the same quantity of metal flake associated with GPS. He comes off more as a dull tan, with a hint of metallic sheen. I think he'll be fine.

16. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

But the Galaxy Force repaint of Cybertron Vector Prime is gold. It doesn't appear to be the same type of gold plastic that is having this problem, though.

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    What's Hasbro's stance on dodgy gold plastic these days? I mean if a recent figure such as Blazemaster is supposedly a candidate then the problem still isn't solved. I could easily do without gold being a part of a figure's colourscheme if it meant the thing wouldn't crumble at some point in the future. I'd be happy with gold paint for those parts if that colour does need to be used (because of movie accuracy perhaps) but then extra paint costs more.
    You'd think Hasbro would've solved this kind of thing after twenty-five years putting out TFs. But then look at some of the paint problems we've had in the last couple of years so even gold paint as replacement might not work out.

18. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Why should Hasbro care about the possibility of some TFs not lasting past a 5 or 10 or more year lifespan?

They are really aimed at kids at retail primarily and most of them don't have the attention span of more than 5 minutes!

19. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    This kind od topics remind me the 4 times I had to replace my BW NEO Randy.

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Blazemaster was last year. Even as a kid I'd have been pissed a figure broke within that time simply due to the type of plastic used.
    That said, I sorta doubt the Blazemaster GPS until I see a photo.

Also, even though, yes, Transformers are primarily aimed at kids, I'm sure by now Hasbro have come to realise the value of long-term TF fans. We're lots of free publicity online and if we're bemoaning something (even older figures) because of the colour of plastic it could perhaps turn a TF newbie off buying a newer figure with gold on it, even if maybe it's just gold paint and not something likely prone to GPS.
    If a parent buys their kid a Transformer for the first trime and it crumbles because of GPS then that parent will probably assume all TF figures are shoddy products and not buy them for their kid(s) in future.

It's in Hasbro's best interests to tackle the potential GPS problems of newer figures. Sure they can't do anything about figures from the old days, but it's all good if they can learn from this stuff.