Gotta Vent I hate landlords/management, and I HATE moving

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Omegax80, May 29, 2012.

1. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    Wife and I have lived in some nice, modern garden apartments for nearly two years. Last year, we wound up having twins. In the past few months, the management have gone out of their way to make living here hell. We live on the third floor of a walkup. Already a pain. With kids, more a pain. We kept our stroller downstairs on the first floor, where other people in the building keep theirs.

Now, the thing to keep in mind, is that cranky old geezers run these complexes. I had heard rumors that they don't like young families with kids, but I didn't believe it. Moving on...

I got a call there was a complaint about my stroller. They told me I had to keep it in my apartment. I explained that we have twins, and it is a pain to carry both a stroller and kids up and down three floors. Woman on the phone said that strollers can't be kept in the hallway. I asked why other people can keep their own, and she said that there was a complaint about MY stroller and I had to move it. I didn't fight, and I moved it.

Then the management calls asking when my wife won't need her temporary handicap parking spot anymore. She had complications during surgery when the kids were born, and had problems getting around. They HOUNDED us until she finally cleared a physical.

I started leaving my stroller, in the same spot the other strollers were kept, and again the same person in management told me to move it. I then told her I would keep it on the third floor, but put it where I wanted it. I even got the town fire inspector to back me up on that. She then made a comment of not leaving it on a balcony and I thought that was a strange strange request. I asked her why would I leave it in a place where it could get damaged by weather? She responded with... "you young people think you can do whatever you want."

Well, that proved that rumor true.

There are notices constantly about appearances and them changing the rules almost monthly. These people want where I live to look like a retirement community in Florida. I live in NJ, trust me, it's anything but.

Then they allowed smokers to move into a non-smoking building. I complained, and management said they will do NOTHING about it.

Our washing machine broke. Three times. Three times they send a repairman while someone else in the building (an older gentleman) got a new machine.

Our lease is up at the end of June. A month or so ago, I called about renewals and reiterated the problems and told them I won't pay any rent increase until the problems are taken care of. In response, I got a letter in the mail this week stating that they are not interested in renewing our annual lease and we have until the end of our term to vacate.

Basically "get the hell out."

I have twin girls, a year old. This just is not right. The upside is that through connections we are getting a place much larger and for less than what we pay now.

I am mad. I am angry, and it seems like there was nothing I can do but move. I hate being stuck in these situations and it really bums me out to feel like I have been bullied.

The good news is that we are moving to a better place. But moving a family of four in a rush? Not pleasant at all. It is aggravating and really sucks.

I know the answer is "deal with it and move on" but I figured I could get some sort of positive feedback here. Maybe there is something I can do which I did not think of before.

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I know that feel bro.

I had landlords pretty much like that ones you described. Friggen pain in the arse. Glad your moving away from thre and as much as i am glad to not be renting any more ( Mortgage payment >than rent ).

3. Omegax80

News Credits:
    I wish I could just go buy a home already, but when we're both unemployed, banks are not too willing to dole out mortgages.

4. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, I don't think that way "your problem deal with it" actually I feel your pain.

A couple years ago, I went through something similar but my mom had a stroke.

The only thing I can say, I wish all the luck in the world, I hopefully it works out for you and things will get better, but its not going to happen all at once.

5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Remember, there is always someone higher up then the office. Contact them with the info your sharing here. I know you want to move anyways now, but it will at least give you some empowerment.

I had a situation around 10 years ago where my downstairs neighbors complained about us a couple times making too much noise (not a radio, but from me excersizing). This would have been ok, if I was ever told. Only after we got a warning saying that if we cause one more problem we will be evicted did I find out about all of this, and of course I wasn't happy. I went over their heads and contacted a regional supervisor, and the office never gave me a problem again and took the warning away.

6. Omegax80

News Credits:
    I thought the same thing, except they didn't care. They "didn't cater their complex to young families" was the tag-line.

7. shifty02

shifty02 Greetings Programs

Yeah...I would go over the landlords heads to the company that actually owns the complex. Chances are with the issues you've had, others have had them too.

Also isn't letting smokers move into a non-smoking building illegal?

EDIT-Oh and after a good 6 months or so after you've left that shithole...go back and slash some tires like mad in the middle of the night ;) 

8. Omegax80

News Credits:
    1 - I did go over their heads, and the corporate folks ratted me out to the management of my complex.

2 - I don't know about the legality of that.

3 - Damn right.

9. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

It's not illegal for smokers to live there. They just can't smoke inside the building. I'm sure they are doing it. But they're probably also smoking where ever they please around the building too.

10. Omegax80

News Credits:
    I saw (and took photos) of the cigarette butts in the hall.

it's just stupid.

11. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I can't really help, but do you mind telling us the name of the building, for blacklisting purposes of course?

12. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    In the USA, are you protected from age based discrimination? You might want to look into that based on this comment. I mean, replace "young" with "black." Doesn't sound very nice, does it?

We researched discrimination in planning class today, so it's just on my mind...

13. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At least now that you know you're getting kicked out, you can have fun making their lives as miserable as possible (in legal ways of course) while you're still there.

14. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

Yeah, they can't do that. That's illegal, I'm pretty sure. They could get away with smoking on their porch/balcany but in the halls is a big no no.

15. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    >be unemployed
    >have two kids.
    >live in apartment
    >have two kids.

uh huh.

16. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    In a perfect world, yes. However, age & family discrimination is pretty much accepted these days (especially when it comes to renting situations), and there isn't much you can do except live somewhere else or resort to childish vandalism that will likely only serve to create more problems for you.

On the plus side though, it seems like Omega & company are gonna do just that (live somewhere better), so more power to em. As far as getting back at the grouches, I probably wouldn't resort to slashing tires or even pooping in mailboxes (although if you do this, try & use someone else's poop so it doesn't get traced back to you), but the last one could be quite funny. However if he cares enough, gathering complaints from others who live in the building never hurts, as more people complaining tends to have a better effect than just one person.

17. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

In the future, try to document everything as much as you can. If you're having problems with management, record it. Make copies of all papers received. In the long run it's good to have extra evidence.

18. Omegax80

News Credits:
    I'm angry, but not angry enough. I just don't see the point in wasting my time and energy on them.

I've done some research, but it seems unless I catch them in the act, I can't do anything about it.

I found a press release about an expansion they are doing, and they state that they are not catering their residences to young families. Don't you think that is strange though? You purposely alienate people for business? Wouldn't you want that crowd, a crowd of young families starting out before going to a home. That was my plan...

19. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well, even ignoring the fact that old people by definition tend to go crazy, kids can tend to be noisy, and there're people who wouldn't wanna live in a building that kids also inhabit. Kids also tend to make a mess more than adults, which ends up becoming the responsibility of the owner to deal with once they leave. On the other hand, you have people that will only want to rent to families because they see stability & think there's less chance for drug dealers or loud music, so its really about picking your poison.

Personally, I could care less who lives above or below me as long as they don't cause trouble to the point of making me knock on their door every night, and since I know this stuff exists from any kind of person, I'm not gonna judge before the fact. Seems this kind of thinking is getting less & less abundant however, so I guess we're just gonna have to roll with it.

20. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I hate to be that guy, but you could do a couple of things if you really want to screw them:

1- Squat there. There is literally nothing they can do, the law is on your side. (I wouldn't do this one)
    2- Lawyer up. I mean your going to move anyway, but you can get a lawyer to sue these guys based on the things you mentioned. All you need is to tape these converstaions.

The handicapped item is taken VERY seriously. Also, kids issues, especially newborn are also taken very seriously. You may have a stronger case then you think.

At the very least, they can settle and pay to have movers come to move you.