Got my first ever Alternator Today: Some Questions and Thoughts

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bakushan, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Bakushan

Bakushan Well-Known Member

So i got this guy today. My first ever Alternator!!

[​IMG]

I saw him in a store the other day MISB for $70, found it here on TFW for $35 shipped MISB, and ended up getting it loose/complete for $20 today at a toy store local.

As I transform this guy, I notice some immediate differences between it and... lets say... classics wheeljack... or DOTM Deluxe Bumblebee...

1. WOW DETAIL. The car looks like a little model car, scale and all with LOGOS and accurate proportions. The hood opens, the trunk opens, the doors open. There is seats... a dash... steering wheel... WOW. To me this seems masterpiece quality.

2. THE SIZE. Woah! size of the car itself seems about 25% larger than deluxes of today, and the robot mode is a nice 7-8" tall, about voyager size to be honest.

3. THE DESIGN. Man, this looks like a G1 style bot, with an accurate car mode. I just love it.

THE QUESTIONS:

1. What the heck happened to TF toys? This is my first ever alternator, but this seems leaps and bounds better in size, weight, design, style and features than any current deluxe size TF toy I see on a shelf.

2. Are all the alternators this good?

3. Was $20 Complete/Loose a good deal?

4. Was $70 MISB a ripoff?

5. Does anyone else love Alternators? What other notable TF toys would I like that could be compared to the quality, size and craftsmanship as these?

Thank you. :) 

2. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

1: ... it's not a Deluxe. It's an Alternator. They're closer in size and price to Voyagers or Human Alliance figures. Being wowed compared to a Deluxe is like praising Universe Onslaught for having electronics while no Deluxes have them.

2: No. Some are better, some are worse. The Subaru mold is very good. The Ford GT mold is, in my opinion, the best. And I hate the Viper mold's robot mode.

3: Yes.

4: Yes.

5: Masterpiece or Human Alliance, probably. Alternators are... weird. Interestingly, the Car Brothers from RiD are often compared favorably as almost Deluxe-sized Alternators.

3. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    1. Don't compare Alternators to the deluxe class toys out now. They are not deluxe toys. They were sold at Walmart starting in 2003 for 19.99. (A few other stores had them but that's mostly where I found mine).

2. No. Some of the Alternators are just ok but a lot of them are simply great. My biased opinion. The hunt for Alts was what got me into collecting full time.

3. Yes. You can sometimes find the common ones a tad cheaper but $20 was a good price.

4. Yes. A few of the Alts reached that price at the height of their popularity but the prices have fallen a lot.

5. There are threads and groups dedicated to Alternator and Binaltech. Alternity would be another line that is very close to the Alternators/Binaltech but are smaller. HA is probably the closest out of the Hasbro Lines.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  4. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

1. That line was MEANT to replicate 1/24 model cars. It was meant to be more detailed and intricate. It's not really meant as a toy but more for the "Collectors". It's meant to be more for that then playing as an actual "toy"

2. Mostly. Yes. They are Awesome. The fact they got all this detail and awesome robot modes AND got them all into licensed vehicles that look like models is really impressive. The engineering alone is something to marvel at.

3. I don't know the pricing. But if you are happy why not?

4. Again I am not familiar with the pricing so I can't say.

5. Masterpiece.

(Thought you might like some pics) :) 

Attached Files:

5. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Oh, by the way: My Alternator recommendations are definitely the Jeep mold, the aforementioned Ford GT mold, the Corvette mold, and the Mazda RX mold. They're pretty damn awesome any way you cut it.

Personally, I also like the Jaguar Ravage and the Rumble molds, but those are less objectively good. Ravage is very novel and fun, and Rumble has a nice, simple transformation and impressive callbacks to his G1 form. I added forearms to my Rumble which increased the my enjoyment of him immensely.

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

1. Alternators are all Voyager class, so MSRP is about $20. They were released somewhere between Armada and Energon, so while they may lack some points of articulation, they're good and sturdy most of the time and not compromised for quality like pretty much anything these days.

2. That's more of a personal opinion more than anything. Smokescreen is essentially the "Average", so if you like him, you'll like the majority of Alternators.

With the exception of the Ford GT/Mirage mold. That figure is godly, easily the best Alt. mold ever made bar none.

3.For loose complete, you got him at MSRP, so essentially you paid the same amount you would have at retail, which considering what went into that figure it a good price.

4. Nothing below Masterpiece, exquisitely rare G1, or exclusive status in the Transformes toy line is worth $70 or more.

5. Alternators were a failed experiment to try and incorporate the collector market into mass retail lines. Masterpiece, being a more limited release, is much of the same thing but at a higher quality level (excluding Rodimus) and not limited to licensed alt. modes, but comes at a much steeper cost as well and the availability of characters is severely limited as well outside of Prime, Megatron, and the Seekers.

Disclaimer: The Rumble and Ravage Alternators (not Battle Ravage the Corvette Z06/Tracks retool, despite being more or less the same character the two are completely separate toys as the second Ravage is a quadruped and a Jaguar XK) were tail-end Walmart exclusives, and are slightly more sought after than the usual Alternator, so they'll most likely run you a bit more than $20.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    1. Alternators came out during the early 2000s Transformers popularity boom when Hasbro was really trying to branch out into multiple lines and styles. Alternators was meant to be a collector's line. It was an amazing line, but it had a lot of issues with shelfwarmers and newer figures being really hard to find. Hasbro nowadays seems to be moving away from bigger toys, but the MP Sideswipe should be pretty comparable to the Alternators in a lot of ways.

2. No, no they aren't. Some are actually much better, as the Imprezza has some definite first release issues. My personal favorite is the RX8, but most of them have satisfyingly complex transformations, great car modes, and fantastic robot modes. And then there's the Optimus Prime Dodge Ram... that guy has some problems.

3. Considering that was its MSRP back when it came out, yeah, that's a great price.

4. For Smokescreen? Hell yeah. For some of the harder to find Alts (Swerve, Mirage, Camshaft) that's a fairer price.

5. It's a great line and one that fills me with a lot of nostalgia these days. I personally think Classics are more fun, but I have to agree that these guys are up there with the MP line in quality. I've heard the big Human Alliance toys compared to Alternators a lot, but I don't have any so I can't really say how well they match up.

8. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love Alternators and happily mix these up with Human Alliance molds and Masterpiece.

If you like "high-end" transformers, also take a look at the Alternity line. They are deluxe size but pack in amazing engineering for the size, but the price does reflect this.

9. Bakushan

Wow, amazing responses!!! Thank you all so much!!!

Does anyone mind posting some pictures? I would like to see alternators, human alliance, and any other relevant lines.

Also, was there any Japan only alternator releases?

Link to a complete list of alternators so I can know how many I need to seek?

10. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    Nobody mentioned anything about the Binaltech line? I's Takara's answer to Alternators, but with Diecast and it feels more sturdy and better quality wise, IMHO.

11. Bakushan

So binaltech is a metal, heavier, Japanese version from the same molds?

12. Mewtwo

I posted two pics. Did you not see them?

Yes. Some parts are metal and therefore they are heavier but they also can chip and scratch of course.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2012
  13. Bakushan

Yes, I saw! :)  Wanna see more!!!

14. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    yup, more expensive but totally worth it.

15. Mewtwo

I'd have to see if I could dig some up. They are quite old. And I think most of my Alternators are put away...

16. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I recommended Alternators to you in your Masterpiece thread, you probably didn't see my post. I figured a car dude like you who liked MPs would probably go nuts for Alternators.

Take a look at Binaltech and Human Alliance lines. Binaltech has more die cast parts and some people think they look better, but are far more expensive. Human Alliance toys are cars from the Transformers movies with the same scale and level of detail as the Alts/BTs (except for Soundwave, pity).

there's a thread for Alternators and Binaltech fans here in the toy subforum. Lots of yummy pictures there.

[​IMG]

Thanks for posting this. This just inspired me to break out all my Alts and HAs and take new pictures

17. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    Here are some links to TFW's own resource section for all the Alternators/Binaltech love. Kiss Players was a smaller (and weirder) line than its predecessor Binaltech.

Transformers Kiss Players Toys - Japanese Transformers - TFW2005

Transformers Binaltech Toys - Japanese Transformers - TFW2005

Transformers Alternators Toys - Transformers - TFW2005

Exclusive characters are listed below.

Hasbro:
    Camshaft
    Decepticharge
    Rumble
    Ricochet
    Rollbar
    Swerve

Takara:
    Autorooper
    Arcee
    Red Alert
    Blaster

Overdrive (Takara) and Windcharger (Hasbro) are more or less the same other than Overdrive has a gun barrel for his engine gun and diecast. Hasbro also released a second Ravage as mentioned earlier that was quadrupedal which Takara did not. Takara had a lot of different colored versions of several characters like Jazz, Tracks, and Smokescreen.

18. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Transformers Alternators Toys - Transformers - TFW2005
    Transformers Binaltech Toys - Japanese Transformers - TFW2005
    Transformers Kiss Players Toys - Japanese Transformers - TFW2005

While you're in the Japanese section, check out Alternity, and while you're in the US section, look up Human Alliance

19. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    In terms of molds, no. There are some Japan-exclusive color schemes, though, and some of the figures (Skids and Hot Rod leap most readily to mind) have different paint aps. There were some figures that got repainted into new characters in Japan that never came out here (Overdrive as Arcee, Skids as Blaster, Bluestreak as Red Alert) and a couple that got new heads (Hot Rod, Autorooper). The US got some exclusive repaints, too, though, including Decepticharge, Rollbar, Swerve, and Ricochet. I'm not 100% sure that Japan got Ravage2 and Rumble, either.

Alternators in Japan was a weird story anyway. The Binaltech line ended before Alternators did and some figures got repainted for the Binaltech+ line, which included little statuettes of women drivers. And then we got Kiss Play... if you don't know what Kiss Play was, I don't want to be the one to explain it to you (as much as anyone can explain Kiss Play).

TFW member Nevermore used to have a really detailed site about the Alternators line, but I'm pretty sure he shut it down years ago. The TF Wiki should have a full list, though.

20. Bakushan

Insanity. I love this hobby so much. There is so much to learn and find!!!