got MP-10 Optimus Prime but...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by maximus_73, Mar 30, 2012.

1. maximus_73

maximus_73 Well-Known Member

I finally saved up enough money to get MP-10, and it arrived yesterday. First of all, this figure is pretty amazing - less QC problem comparing to MP-09, and very accurate to cartoon Prime. For the past several of months I read and watched many reviews on this figure and many of the collectors claimed this figure will replace their MP-01/MP-04. REALLY! to me MP-01 and MP-10 are completely different species, they are awesomeness in their own way, just to name a few:

Things I like about MP-01/MP-04:
    1. Die cast very like classics Optimus Prime.
    2. Wheel suspension
    3. Hydraulic at all the joins
    4. Lower legs are not too bulky
    etc...

Things I like about MP-10:
    1. G1 cartoon accurate.
    2. In scale with MP-09
    3. Very highly articulated.
    4. Able to store the gun on the back
    etc...

It's a WOW every time I looked at MP-10, and adore the MP-04. It's so hard to say which one is better. Just like comparing Ferrari Testarossa vs. Ferrari Enzo or Lamborghini Countach vs. Lamborghini Dialo.

To me, MP-10 is an extension of MP-01...meaning it is complementing to MP-01 and vice versa.

Which one is your favorite? is MP-10 replaced your MP-01? and Why? want to know your opinion on this.

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I miss the Matrix light gimmick on MP-01, but otherwise, it's MP-10 all the way.

The main thing is, the poseability actually works this time. MP-01's stupid weak ankles and wide-set hip ratchets just drag the whole thing down. And then, as an added bonus, MP-10 actually has a believable truck mode this time, instead of a disjointed, caved-in pile of boxes masquerading as a truck.

And then there's all the other little detail things, like a much more characterful head sculpt, and better posture, that just pull the whole thing together.

MP-01 was great for the time, but TakaraTomy's engineering skills have improved so much over the last several years that it just feels dated now.

3. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    mp-01 has more shelf presence, but i gave mp-10 it's own shelf, trailer, roller and all, it's just a nice stand out figure in any collection

4. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    MP1 and 04 will always be a one time special event i.e. when it was first released 8 years ago, obviously- it was anything way beyond its time in terms of toy technology. However, times change and MP-10 came into the fray and IMHO- it is the all round better toy- not clunky and dated as the original incarnation.

5. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    MP-10 all the way for me. I like MP-1, but he is a bit blocky, and not that poseable. MP-10 is very poseable, a more intuitive transformation, and overall a moer fun toy.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think the designers did a great job with MP-10 in making a new figure that respectfully nods to the original yet makes its own presence known as a great figure.

7. crazee928

crazee928 Well-Known Member

offloaded my mp-04 after
    I got mp-10, never looked back. nuff said.

8. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    It is the omni-prime, having sated my desire for Classics Prime, MP-1/4, Faith Leader and the G3 Trailer all in one shot.

9. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pretty much my thoughts. I have PP01 Faith Leader as the centerpiece of my mixed Classics/MP display and he leads my Deluxe/Voyager Bots (and the minibots as soon as the MW figures roll in).

MP-10 is great and all but his aesthetic makes him stick out too much compared to the rest, not to mention I think he's too big to really work with Classics. At the moment I have him displayed separately on a different shelf and plan to add MP-11 to keep him company (and hopefully MP Megatron v2 whenever TakTom gets around to it for a "Big Three" display). I don't like the idea of Prime being bigger than Grimlock or hulking over the Seekers (jets > trucks) so much either, so that's kind of a strike against MP-10 working with Classics/MPs also, at least IMHO.

10. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    Ah, I have six MP seekers in my "classics" display. It's not really a classics display, it's got representatives from all sorts of lines in it (but very few characters represented more than once) all representing some sort of attempt at an internally consistent scale.

But the discussing the observed scale in your own collection is a pretty endless debate. I certainly see peoples objections to using MP-10 in a classics display, I just don't share them, primarily because MP-10 is pretty much exactly in alt-mode scale with almost every deluxe car. No other prime is. I did the measurements myself. MP-1 is actually second-closest.

11. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    MP-10 scales very well with deluxe cars, true, but the problem is I don't (normally) display in alt mode. =) MP-10 just looks wrong in bot mode with the others. Faith Leader just looks right to me, and that's pretty much all there is to it. Personal preference and all.

But that's OK; Faith Leader can pretty much just sit pretty there surrounded by all the Classics Bots and make a great looking display, while MP-10 is free to stand on his own on a separate shelf, allowing me to take him down and fiddle with him whenever I want without disturbing the rest of my Classics.

12. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    My MP-10 is the centerpiece of my collection. He is without a dought my favorite figure in my collection. I had MP-01 , I loved it just the same. Thing is, I have no need to own both. I sold my MP-01 to help pay for MP-10. ( an i did the same with screamer ).

13. steve71

steve71 Active Member

I don't play with my transformers so my mp-01 sits in a display case along with my other figs. I look at mp-10 as more of a toy so that's why I passed on it.

14. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    For me, MP-10 destroys MP-01. I do still enjoy MP-01, however.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  15. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

For me i felt that it the same when i first got MP-10 in hand. The more i handled it i just fell in love with it and can say its the better overall figure. Still love mp-01 though.

16. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    personally I think MP10 looks miles better than MP1-4, however I just got an MP5 with upgrade kit so I think I need an MP1. Hopefully the hasbro release of 10 makes my hunt for the big guy cheaper lol

17. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    MP-4 will always hold a special place in my heart. I don't think I'll ever want to sell it for a long, long time. MP 10 looks good but not better, but that might change once I get the Hasbro release which btw will be cheaper :p 

18. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Im waiting for hasbros mp-10, only because of costs.

19. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I traded my mp 01 because it was to big and heavy and was afraid that I will break it.
    Mp 10 solved all of my problems so I'm on team mp 10. Just got to wait for it to hit the tru shelves.

20. Tigerhund79

Tigerhund79 Swedish viking marauder.

MP-10 looks and feels so much better than my MP-4. I still love MP-4 and I keep it posed next to MP-5 along with their G1 Encore versions. MP-10 stands along side MP´s 8, 9 and 11 because its smaller size clashes with the larger ones. I like them both equally for different purposes.