Got heads?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nevermore, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I hereby present my latest project - "Transformers: Heads". Basically, it's a comparison of all the various interpretations and renditions of the G1 characters' heads in toy lines, cartoons and comics. I only count heads originally designed or drawn with the intention to make the toy/character an homage or even an updated version of the original G1 character.

NOTE: I know a lot of these heads are taken from other sites such as Seibertron.com, TFU.info or Cobra Island Toys. I therefore STONGLY ask all of you who own one or more of the toys in question and who have a decent digital camera and good photographing skills to take your own photos (preferably with better lighting, even) so I can replace the ones I "borrowed" from other sites. Any pics you see that are taken from Remy's galleries are used with permission.

Generally, I'm always looking for better images to replace the ones I currently have, be it higher resolution scans of comic panels or toy box artwork or just photos of toys in better resolution and/or with better lighting so all the details can be seen.

Big thanks to Monzo for providing a good number of high quality scans from comics, books and magazines. :) 

So, without further ado... here are the first six characters' heads. :) 

http://www.tfarchive.com/toys/references/heads/heads_index.php

Prowl and Smokescreen to follow soon!

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    great feature mr. torsten sir. i await the the spotlight on alternator mirage with eager trepidation.

sincerely yours,
    KA

3. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Cool project! I look forward to seeing more.

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cool project, by by the title I thought this might be about Headmaster heads, and the limited edition ones. :D 

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I wish you all the luck in the world with the Optimus Prime and Prowl ones. Yeesh.

6. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Fantastic project! I love what's done so far!

7. Cyclone_X

Cyclone_X Cybertronian Warlord

I have 2 more Grimlock heads:
    one is from the Pretender Grimlock without Pretender shell, it had a silver faceplate (picture from TF: Generations book) (and Starscream from that series also has a silver face)
    the other is from the detailed artwork from TF: Generation book

both were scanned at 300 DPI

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

does BW Grimlock count? his head does resemble G1 Grimlock in shape (thus also all other Dinobot recolors)

8. Nevermore

News Credits:
    That would depend on whether the original Beast Wars Dinobot's head was designed with the intention to make it look like G1 Grimlock or not (I might stretch that rule a bit with Alternators Camshaft, who was "just" a repaint of Alternators Prowl, but whose head was based in G1 Prowl whose head was the same sculpt as G1 Bluestreak's head).

EDIT: "Pretender Grimlock without Pretender shell" is actually from the Japanese "Hero Set". Thought those ones were unaltered from the US releases? Huh.

Wonder what color Italy got them in, since they also got them as a set (with the packaging based on the Japanese version)...

9. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    It's funny how we want things like the glory days from G1 back, but the initial designs in some case, are never what we remember. Case in point, Bumble bee. The Classic design looks way more like the cartoon version than the actual toy.

Oh and indecently, great work, I look forward to moreā€¦.

10. Cyclone_X

Cyclone_X Cybertronian Warlord

11. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

This project looks like fun and its nice to see the evolution that has occured. I'm looking forward to more.

12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's not an upgraded Grimlock. He's Exkizer's arch-villain, whose henchmen were obviously designed after the G1 Dinobot molds, but never received toys themselves. That pic is just showing a comparison.

13. Nevermore

News Credits:
    No, those are the "Legends" versions which were released in the US as KMart exclusives (alongside the mass-retail Pretender versions).

The Italian versions are these:
    http://www.geocities.com/fredsworkshop/4pk1.jpg

eBay auction. :) 

Huh, need more info about this one...

14. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Anyone else think Bumblee's cartoon head may have been based on the Cliffjumper toy?

15. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Be seeing you...

Probably. The people in charge of making the animation models might even have been sent a yellow "Bumblejumper" by mistake and taken that for the design untill it was too late to change it. Pretenders Bumblebee was my first transformer and first version of the character and I always wondered why the hell the G2 version had a face plate and visor.

16. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

I must say Pat Lee drew the robot's head really well

17. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Would be one of the very few things he was able to draw well, then.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cool and interesting project there - certainly the type of thing I doubt I'd have the patience for.

On a reasonably related note, I found the cartoon design of the G1 Combaticons to be pretty unusual, especially after seeing their unused animation models from a couple of Japanese. The unused anim. models (not sure if they were first, or just produced concurrently then rejected) were relatively accurate to the toys, except for having generic heads and faces (a lot like the cartoon Stunticons in that way - may have been the same artist). The animation models they did use had very close interpretations of the heads/faces of the toys, but the bodies and vehicle modes ranged from innacurate to completely different (such as Swindle being a completely different type of ground vehicle, for example)

Things like that make me wish I was in on the process, if only to understand how that kinda stuff happens.

19. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Damn! Keep up the excellent work, NM!

20. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

This is really cool. I spent a lot of time looking through the heads that are there already.