got a question for youse Air Force folks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, Dec 6, 2009.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got a chance to board a KC-135 tanker at an air show and it was a terrifying experience for me.
    every step taken toward the rear of the plane, the whole damn thing creaked, cracked, groaned and shook. Structurally, it felt like it was about 40% less sturdy than a mobile home assembled with elmer's glue and paper staples.

Then the idea hit me that this plane was THAT shaky, yet was a flying gas station. and someone has to look down out the rear (about 40,000 feet to the ground) and still fill the flyboys up.

My dad used to tell me stories about riding in C-130s that shook so bad he carried a ratchet in his pocket- to tighten the loose bolts- or make him feel better about flying in them.
    used to laugh at him for that.

but after that experience, i don't think i can.

My question is, how the hell do ya do it? How do you get on a plane designed to be as light as possible, to carry the most flammable of cargo, and do it every day? without going nuts?

2. Sideways

Sideways Banned

Army FTW

3. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

It's easy.... I trust our MX guys. Also most KC-135s are 40 if not 50 years old. But what you are walking on is something of a subfloor if that makes any sense at all. The fuel bladders are stored below what you walked on and in the wings.

Also the guildlines for my unit's aircraft to fly is more stringent than civilian airlines.

4. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

They tell you "Get on the plane" and then they tell the pilots "Fly the plane".
    Thats how the airforce people do it. :p 

Chuck

5. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

That's pretty much it. You learn not to pay attention to the aircraft and just ride. C-130's are called "Ol' Shaky" for a reason.

6. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I trust our jets 1,000 times more than commercial birds any day of the week.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Not an air force guy, but its actually a good thing that the plane creaks and groans on the ground. In the air, the plane is going to be vibrating, and subjected to significant turbulence. That creaking and groaning represents a flexibility in the parts of the plane to ensure it can endure these vibrations without the wings cracking off in midflight.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think the real trick is mostly just not being a whiny pogue. It's only some noise.

9. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i have nothing but respect for those that can do it, but i got my fear of heights from my dad and got it honestly (he was an airborne trooper and still hated heights, lol.)

i suppose that the air force doesn't ask you to do something and cares less if it scares the hell out of you, lol.

As hard for me to fathom being on a KC-135, i really think all those kids who were ball turret gunners on B-17s were certifiable- nuts. loons, out of touch with reality.
    i get panic attacks just sticking my head in one to peek.

i love the air force, just think they'd prefer i stay on the ground and admire from wayyy afar

10. Shaba

Shaba Decepticon femme TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You get used to it real quick. AWACS (Boeing 707) are 30-something year old airframes and my first few rides were quite 'interesting'. I got used to it and put my trust in the MX folks...big kudos for them!...they constantly deal with a LOT of BS and work hours/conditions on the flightline.