Customs: Good source for joints / connectors?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by project9, Nov 11, 2008.

1. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

I know this has been discussed before but usually in the middle of thread talking about a Devastator or some other combiner plans, so it's not real easy to find.

Aside from eBay lots (which are also a gamble when there's just a pile of parts), can people provide actual kits they've found that have a good amount of these pieces? I think that might be a good resource for those who want to scratchbuild or make their own combiner, such as myself.

I've heard people talk about Bionicles and Technics sets but it's be great to know which models/kits had the most of the best parts... you know? Like Bionicles 8699 (Takanuva) has these cool leg/feet faux hydraulic pieces, similar to what is used on MP Prime's elbows. I think these would be cool to have for something but it doesn't look like the kit has much else for good connectors.

let me know your thoughts!

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Neo-shifters are as good, if not better than Bionicles.

3. Faxon

Faxon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The bionicle ball joints tend to get loose quickly to prevent breakage, especially with the summer 08 sets, of which Takanuva is a part. But that set would be good for joints, having 7 stand alone balls, and more plin sockts than average. What are you thinking about?

If you want specific parts, try bricklink.com. Lots of sellars from around thw world to find specific parts, and nice clear pictures.

As for the pistons, they support weight very well, especially if you pair them up. They are not the smallest components ever, but They seem right for something about 8-9 inches tall.

4. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

5. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Bionicle, Neoshifters, and....Gundam!!!!! :thumb 

6. Faxon

Faxon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As far as lego connectors/pins go, tolerances can vary widely, and if you do use them, make sure they are black or blue- grey and tan are for free rotation and are terrible for stability.

7. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

i would use bionicle lego knights and neoshifters, not tried gundam yet

8. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

As another side question... energon combiner ports. Does anyone know if any figures have multiple female ports? (man, that sounds dirty. hah) I know most have multiple male ports, like E Barricade, but I was hoping there was some fig with more than 1 recepticle so one wouldn't need to sacrifice multiple toys.

9. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    I agree with Chlokai, but I think Lego Knights Kindom are far superior to the other two. they are actualy a ratchet joint, not just pretending or a ball joint.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yeah, Bionicle Ball joints would be good for arms and necks, but if the joints are meant to hold a lot of weight I'd go LEGO Knights.

11. optimusawesome

optimusawesome Well-Known Member

I actually found out recently a huge problem with the lego bionical parts. They get very brittel if you spray paint them with metalic paint. it probably did not help that it was a little cold out as well, but be fore warned. these are not good to use unless they are already molded in the color you want to use. This has set me back with my devastator project for god knows how long till I can find another cheap KO to get the origional leg parts from.

12. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

I definitely would go with F_R's recommendation of Neo Shifters for the arm/leg joints. The bonds on these are really strong and won't seem to loosen in time.

I'm still wondering what the best part to use for a torso joint connector that rotates. Any good suggestions?