Good recent transformers toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by williswrath, Jul 17, 2006.

1. williswrath

williswrath Member

First post here. My son (4 yrs old) caught the Cybertron Series awhile back, and now is smitten with TF. Ive been buying him Cybertron toys, and picked up some lots of Energon and Armada. Tf first came out when i was 10, so now i'm considering collecting a bit for my son. What's out there now that he would enjoy, yet is available enuff that i could buy 2 (one to collect, one for play)? I see alot of ppl mentioning Alts. Are those the Alternator line i see at Zellers near my house? if so why does everyone seem to like them so much?

I appreciate all advice.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The Alternators are much more a collector geared thing - they're more complicated and based on licensed cars. Very much a "fans" thing, probably not so kid-friendly.
    As far as advice goes on recent guys, you can't go far wrong with most of the Scouts. Scrapmetal is awesome, I hear good things about Shortround, Swerve, Swindle, and their ilk are all worthwhile.
    In the larger scales, Cannonball (Deluxe) has a certain charm to him, plus Downshift and Sideways are both awesome. Snarl is another good one.

The bigger toys are great too, but obviously the cost would prohibit getting two of some of them.
    You've picked a good line to get into, though, since in my own opinion Cybertron has some of the most fun designs of the last few years, especially in the Deluxe and Scout classes.

3. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I've got to agree with Sol. The Scouts and Deluxes are just awesome in this line. See if you can find an Armorhide. He's not that recent, but he's a great little toy.

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    If you want a big one, Cybertron Primus is the best ever released in the Supreme size class. He's just coming out here and there now, but will be easy to find by Labor Day. The regular price is $50, but Christmas sales should have him up to 25% off. He transforms into the planet Cybertron and has a key role in the show, so your son should know who this is. I can't seem to put him down. He's a lot of fun, and HUGE!

5. williswrath

williswrath Member

Well so far hes been able to transform everything.Heres a quick list of the cybertron stuff he has: Optimus Prime, Jetfire, Vector Prime, Wing Saber, Red Alert, Hot Shot, Clocker, Armorhide, Landmine, Longrack, Scattorshot, Some Mini-Cons.
    then he has some Energon stuff, ie Optimus, Scorponok, Rodimus, Prowl, most of a Hot Shot lol which came in a loose ebay lot.
    he actually transformed the cybertron Hotshot right out of the package by himself! So im not super concerned about difficulty. Just whats cool and what not. He usually greets every new one with a WOW! So its more of what i think is cool for now.
    Thanks for the advice, very informative. Keep it coming!
    Also is there any hope of seeing Cybertron on DVD soon? Were in Canada and dont get the Cartoon Network, so episodes are sporadic and hard to find.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Focusing on the Cybertron line is probably the best for your son...Alternators are cool diaplay pieces but the really are difficult to transform, even for veteran TF collectors. That and there are pices that could break, come apart etc. I have to agree with Sol Fury the scouts and the deluxes in the Cybertron line are phenominal. Some are better than others, but you really can't go wrong with any of them.

7. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Getting into TFs at 4 myself, I can say my tastes haven't changed much. Cybertron Lugnutz and Scrapmetal are great and fairly easy to come by. If you can get it, Ransack is good. The recolor (Ransack GTS) is newer and easier to come by. In terms of deluxes, Dirtboss and Snarl are decent. Get him the supreme Starscream for sure. That's a good toy if there ever was one.

I can't think of anything else now, but I'm here if you need me.

8. williswrath

williswrath Member

We tried the big Starscream, but right out of the box the swords would fly off when you inserted the cyber key. I returned that one, and we havent tried another cuz i kinda suspected that it may be a design defect. Good advice about the alts, though i might get some for myself to collect. i love the recent sets that are almost unbreakable in the hands of a child

9. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    They come off easy due to toy safety laws, a little super glue should fix it right up

10. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For your son, Armada is a good line. They are easy to handle and kids like minicons.

Just don't get Cyb Thundercracker. Kids break him in 5 minutes.
    Good ones are Ransack, CD tean, Leobreaker etc. They are the ones my 4 year old likes.

11. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For more fun, if he's at all into Star Wars, consider the Star Wars Transformers line. Some here on the boards aren't as enamored of them, but I'd recommend the Anakin Skywalker/ Jedi Fighter and the Clone Trooper/ Arc 170 Starfighter, as well as the rather superb Millenium Falcon, which becomes two robots vaguely resembling Han solo and Chewbacca.

I didn't notice Galvatron on your list, or Scourge. But, like many have said in the thread already, nearly all of the Cybertron toys are great. I didn't care for Backstop or Mudflap, but have otherwise been pretty well satisfied. Also, depending on your son's personal preferences, there's the 10th anniversary of Beast Wars figures (also called BWX). I'm not much of a beastie fan, but I can see how they'd be fun for some.

-Tony!

12. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    For Scouts: Armorhide, Undermine/Repugnus, Clocker/Swerve, Swindle/Hardtop, Scrapmetal, Ransack.

Deluxes: Dirt Boss, Landmine, Sideways, CD Hot Shot.

Voyagers: Mudflap, Evac, CD Scattorshot, Crumplezone/Dark Crumplezone, Vector Prime.

Misc: Perhaps look for the two pack of Vector Prime, and the Voyager sized Starscream in G1 Thrust colours.

13. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

My 6 yr old niece loves all my transformers and has since she was old enough to be standing upright in my room... I bought her Armorhide when she turned 6, heh, now I've been the family member roped into buying her transformers for christmas' and birthdays... not that I mind, really ;)  She loves my supreme Starscream (but my blade and gun doesn't come off).

The Deluxe-sized cars in Cybertron are all, in my opinion, awesome. They're solid, decent in both modes, and really fun, great characters. In fact, I have really enjoyed this entire line - fun designs, poseability, good character range, mostly great gimmicks... they've been really good.

14. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd suggest perhaps

Quickmix (Voyager class - hasn't reached market saturation yet)

Metroplex (Leader class)

Their Transformations are a little more straightforward, so on that basis they may be geared torwards younger Transformer fans.

For the sake of clarity - becasue it' s effectively part of the same subset of the line, I'd suggest giving Menasor a miss.

Although the Transformation is (very) straight forward, there have been quite a few complaints about it not quite fitting together properly.

Crosswise (Deluxe) and Soundwave (Voyager) are both well done, although they may have too high a degree of complexity....

15. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

YTV plays Transformers: Cybertron on saturdays at 1:30pm EST. Check http://www.ytv.com/programming/shows/transformers_cybertron/
    for your local time.

16. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Where to watch the show

You can go to Transformers.com and watch the show their. The link is on the right side of the page. You can also catch BW episodes there. Some episodes are missing, but not many.

My biggest complaint is they break up each episode into 3 ~7 min parts. And you can only watch them in video size that is probably 1/5 the size of your computer screen. You HAVE to watch them in the website's video player.

I'd recommend purchasing OP for sure. He is a very impressive figure. If you can't find a Megatron, buy Galavatron (he's just a repaint). I personally like the Galvatron painting better too. YOU HAVE TO BUY PRIMUS!!! I bought him and find my self staring at the figure drooling for hours on end. It's friggin' gorgeous.

17. Omik

Omik *blink blink*

I recommend some of the energon stuff as well, as you can still find it on ebay and various online toy shops relatively cheap. In particular most of the decepticons are pretty cool, especially the combiners. At least get one of the decepticon combiners, they rock.

Also look into the Robots in Disguise/car robots series. The toys are a little more complicated (which doesn't sound like a problem), but are lots of fun. Scrourge, Prime, and Magnus are awesome; as well as the deluxe cars.

18. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I fully recommend Cybertron Defense Red Alert from the Cybertron line. Great toy for just 25 bucks. Wonderful in every regard, from play value to aesthetics.

See if you can track down Energon Wing Saber so he can combine it with the E. Prime and have more options for play. That's the good thing about the Energon line, you can combine the Autobots in the line a lot of different ways, and then on the other side of things, the Decepticons are just awesome, solid toys, especially the deluxe Sharkticon.

Another good one to track down on ebay or wherever else would be Tidal Wive from Armada. Nice size and lots of play value, especially if you get mini-cons and Megatron or Galvatron to "interact" with him.

Aside from the difficulty of Alternators, the other reason to keep away from them is that they're relatively easy to break in some instances. It takes a delicate touch that some kids, even adults may swiftly grow tired of.

Anyway, over all there's been lots of great product on the shelves the past few years. If he's enjoying Cybertron, I say buy up all of that line you can, and look forward to the TF Classics line coming up soon, as well as the original movie DVD re-release. It's possible you could get him into the TFs you once enjoyed too and you can both kind of share in this, which may be cool. If he isn't already that aware that this has been going on since the 80s it may be interesting for him to see how it's evolved over time, watching the old shows on DVD and whatnot.

I don't know how to end this. I'm rambling.

19. williswrath

williswrath Member

i forgot to mention that he does have tidal wave and megatron from Armada. i thought that tidal wave was from energon, but after checking some picks we have the armada one. which is great cuz i just found out that he links with megatron. My son really loves the "power link" feature of some of the recent sets. Thats why he was super excited when we saw a recent episode of Cybertron and he saw Optimus and Wing Saber link. Myself i think all the new stuff is really sweet, though im partial to the older models. The price of them is just a bit of an obstacle for me.Apart from certain ones like wing saber of hot shot, my son likes whatever i bring home, which is why he freaks out so much when i can get some 10+ piece lots from ebay. Thanks for the advice, guess im gonna have to go out of town to TRU soon lol (there isnt one in my city).

20. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

The episode where Prime and Wingsaber link up for the first time is one of my all-time favorites. I think I was actually really drunk when I watched it for the first time, and I was somewhere between awe and hilarity at the cheesiness of it all... and it's been my favorite episode since. :D 

If he likes the Powerlinking feature, start looking for the Energon Autobot deluxe-sized toys. I think they're all fun even on their own (well, the ones I have), and it's great to mix and match combinations. Some people think that the individual bots suffer from the combining gimmick... it doesn't bother me much. I've got Rodimus, Hot Shot, Prowl, Roadblock, Downshift and Tow-Line, they're all great. Well. Okay, Roadblock is a little weak.

Also, since you two already have Cybertron Optimus Prime and Wing Saber, definately see about getting a Leobreaker... or even better, pick up a Galvatron and Nemesis Breaker. The 'breakers can combine with either Prime or Mega/Galvatron. So can Tidalwave's arms, so I hear. :) 

Robots in Disguise toys are fun, too, but the ones I've had experience with (Ultra Magnus, Sideburn, Prowl, X-Brawn) are almost alternator-like in their complexity... some things need to be done in a certain order to transform them, and it won't work otherwise... but that doesn't always work transforming them back. Once you get the hang of em, though, they're wonderfully articulated from large numbers of ball joints (well, except Ultra Magnus's legs) and fun to play with and pose.

As far as Alternators go, buy one for yourself - you'll certainly enjoy it, and use your experience to gauge how appropriate you think it would be for your son. Er. Do us a favor and grab a shelfwarmer, though. ;)  Don't worry. They're ALL good. Some only warm shelves because the non-collectors aren't really interested in the car or character or something...

Anyway... chances are you can probably pick up just about any TF out there and your son will enjoy it. The only ones I'd avoid are Thundercracker/Skywarp. Personally, I didn't like Dirt Boss, but some people do.